Author Topic: Fisherman + Mariner Records  (Read 2812 times)

Offline judith54

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fisherman + Mariner Records
« on: Sunday 26 January 14 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

I have recently discovered that my 5xGtGrandfather John Wilkinson was variously described as a Sailor, Mariner, Master Mariner 1795 et seq. He married Jane Shacklock (Shakelock) in 1795, in Tynemouth. Jane was the daughter of William Shacklock a fisherman - William was born c1740 according to his Marriage License in 1767.

I would love to know more about this seafaring branch of the family and wonder if anyone can tell me whether there would be any records for the period 1700 - 1850 and where I may find them. The family, I believe, were from the South Shields/Bishop Wearmouth/Monkwearmouth/Chester le Street area

thanks
Judith

Burrell                         Mitchell            
Armstrong                    Adamson
Holmes                        Anderson
Fleming                        Rudd                  Boustead                      Picken
Huddleston                   Gathin Peele                            Foxall
Whinfield                      Lumley
Lindsley                       Shakelock

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Fisherman + Mariner Records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 January 14 01:31 GMT (UK) »
interesting journey you are going to undertake with this.....

the Durham archives have materials on maritime  and are at most listed under occupations or profession   or business.....    the online catalogue is a little tenious to use to say the least but is workable.   I would send the archives a personal letter not email   stating the sort of records you wish to try to find..   I would also outline to whom your research is for....  they charge for look ups but ask to have a list of materials you would be interested in seeing if you visited............

they have things like the Seaham Harbour Dock Company ..... on file.....
what I would do interim is bring up historical directories site for co Durham and scroll .....  fishermen maritime occs and harbour companies in the general vicinity of where your ancestral kin were....
remembering of course to include and  places along the waterways within 50 miles to get to scope of what was going on........   I would also suggest using London Gazette site and typing in keywords such as maritime . fishing co Durham  etc and see what things pop.......   depending on the navy scopes there may be involvement with Nelsons armada when the Battle of Holland was being fought etc etc..............    also check the British Archives site and British History online ....  using again keywords maritime etc

http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/Pages/AdvancedSearchCatalogue.aspx

good luck

:)

Offline judith54

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 January 14 07:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you fastfusion for your very comprehensive reply.

I think I'll start with the Historical Directories as I have found them a very useful tool in the past.

thanks
Judith   :)
Fleming                        Rudd                  Boustead                      Picken

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 January 14 08:08 GMT (UK) »
Anyone who was a Master Mariner may well be listed in Lloyds Captains Register list.  Search for it online and you get lots of information.   It is held in London but I think I am right in saying that the Cleveland Family History Group hold a copy and will do look ups.  They cover some of Durham too so it may be worth joining them.
http://www.clevelandfhs.org.uk/

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 January 14 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Sorry a bit off subject

But our Thomasin Ellington remarried a Francis Wilkinson b. 1796 , a Shipwright, born Durham, by 1851 living at Ogden Street, Bishopwearmouth - one of yours?

Best

John 1935
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)
Macaire. Eusebe. Boitel. Beaulieu. Gordon. Tillman. Fear. Wood.
 ( London/ Middlesex & Devon )

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 January 14 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Judith, you haven't said whether he was a Merchant Seaman (perhaps you don't know), if he was you might find this useful:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/merchant-seamen-registers-1835-1857.htm

There are records on FindMyPast, I've assumed that John Wilkinson was born in County Durham and the search comes up with a number of results:

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/merchant-navy-seamen
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline judith54

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 January 14 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Sillgen - I will contact Cleveland as you suggested

Unfortunately John I currently can see no connection to your Wilkinson

Thanks also to Roobarb but I have nothing to suggest he was in the Merchant Navy although I won't discount this possibility

Judith

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 January 14 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Morning Judith

I think if he he down as a Master Mariner, then you are safe to say he was in the M.N. Have spent the last year researching my six M.M.s.
To me it seems that you have three main stages :

1. If you or your library have  access to Ancestors.com - go to their Marine page and search for his Master's Certificate - at his EPOCH this will be a service cert (usually given around 1850 -make sure you take a copy of reverse side, as this will give you his sea service and ships  up to that point.

2. From then on the ships that he sailed on and where they went ( in general) can be found on the Captain's registers at L.M.A  ( if you are able to get to London) or you can write to The London Metropolitan Archives  : ask.lma@cityoflondon.gov.uk/lma  I have always found them very helpful, oh yes, and ask them to send you : Info Leaflet Number 50 "Lloyd's of London 'Captains Registers' and related sources". On this subject, note on page 2. the reasons why you might not be able to find your Captain on the register - couldn't find one of mine as he had died in 1868.

3. Having got your ships, trawling through Lloyd's List & registers will give you even more info, and of course not forgetting the Newspaper Archives.

Best

John

p.s. Yes there are rather a lot of Wilkinsons, have also a cross ref with a Mabel Joplin (a draper's daughter) but note without the'g'.
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)
Macaire. Eusebe. Boitel. Beaulieu. Gordon. Tillman. Fear. Wood.
 ( London/ Middlesex & Devon )

Offline judith54

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 February 14 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you John

John Wilkinson I would expect, would not be alive by 1840. I have got his marriage in 1795 and would presume he was born c1770. His youngest daughter was born 1812. I can't find either him or his wife Jane on 1841c

Regards
Judith