Author Topic: The Wilson-King family from Toronto  (Read 3505 times)

Offline AiryFairy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Wilson-King family from Toronto
« on: Monday 27 January 14 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, I am in need of some help in finding a marriage between Annie Wilson-King (abt 1846-1877, Toronto Canada) and Thomas Bletcher (abt 1846-1901, Dale and Hope Township, Canada).

They had their first daughter in London in 1863 and I have everything on them since this birth but before they came to London? Nothing. I have full membership on Anc and have done extensive searches on marriages both in England and Canada but I've got nothing.

I considered marriage at sea - nothing. Marriage in north of England (where they may have disembarked after voyage from Canada) - nothing. I havent even been able to find them in any passenger lists  :'(

I found a possible 1851 census entry for Annie in Canada but its hard to be sure. The parents, E J King and Louisa, were born in England and I have been able to trace their marriage back to 1829, St Giles Cripplegate. Again, I can't be sure that these 2 are Annie's parents.

Annie may have been born as Annie King - adding the Wilson later on - but again, no searches are coming up with anything that may be linked.

At this stage, I'd be happy with a marriage between Annie and Thomas (although they may not have married...... ???). Are there any other avenues to go down? Or shall I wash my hands with these 2?

Thanks for any help in advance  :)

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Wilson-King family from Toronto
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 January 14 02:34 GMT (UK) »
1852 Canadian census for York, York County there is
John King 31, b. Eng with wife Sara 26 b. Eng. and children born in Canada
Matilda 7, John 5, Elizabeth 4, Louisa 2

The 1871 British census shows Annie born in Toronto, Canada- that's why this census entry might be something for you to look at.

1861 Canadian census the King family has moved to the Peterborough, Ontario area and the mother is using Ann as her recorded name.  Interesting because on the 1852 Canadian census there are two entries for Thomas Bletcher.  One is in Durham county as a 14 year old labourer with Stephen Bletchford (51), William (29), Barnabas (21) and Henry(19) also enumerated in the area.  There is also an entry in 1852 for Peterborough for Thos Bletchford (14) but it indicates he is out of the area and Hope is entered in the jurisdiction he is residing in.  It seems that Thomas was connected to the Peterborough area.

1861 census Peterborough Thos Bletcher is 21 and employed as a machinist.

1871 census Peterborough - John and wife Mary King (still born in England and the same ages - perhaps she just changes her name over the years) and some of the same children as previous census but no Elizabeth.

When John and Sarah's daughter, Louisa, marries in 1874 she indicates that she was born in Toronto

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 January 14 02:51 GMT (UK) »
Henry's 1878 marriage shows his mother's name as Ann Wagstaff.  There is a public tree on ancestry with old photos of Ann and John King and others.  Shows no details for Elizabeth.

Offline AiryFairy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 January 14 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cosmac, thanks for your help but this doesn't sound like my King family.

Thanks again :)

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 January 14 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps it isn't your King family - why so quick to dismiss it - do you have any other information that makes you discount it?

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 January 14 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Do you have Annie's death cert?  Is Wilson-King recorded on that?
Looby :)

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 January 14 22:15 GMT (UK) »
I now see the marriage of Elizabeth King, born Toronto, d/o John King and Ann W. in 1865 to Edward Strain.

The theory looked good as it got an Elizabeth (Annie) born in Toronto in the vicinity of Thomas in 1861 where they could have met.

Offline AiryFairy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 January 14 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

I wasn't dismissing it - its just that the names in that family didn't correspond to any names in my files, thats all. :)

There is no mention of Annie in your findings - particularly in your first reply:
1852 Canadian census for York, York County there is
John King 31, b. Eng with wife Sara 26 b. Eng. and children born in Canada
Matilda 7, John 5, Elizabeth 4, Louisa 2

and then:
1871 census Peterborough - John and wife Mary King (still born in England and the same ages - perhaps she just changes her name over the years) and some of the same children as previous census but no Elizabeth.
When John and Sarah's daughter, Louisa, marries in 1874 she indicates that she was born in Toronto

There are too many names here that just don't fit - again, I thank you for taking the time to look :)

Loobylooayr - No, I don't have a death cert but I have a birth certificate of one of her children and her maiden name does say its Wilson King. There's no hyphen in it though, not sure if that makes any difference? :)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 January 14 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Wilson could be her middle name.