Author Topic: Inglescomb c1747 baptism  (Read 2248 times)

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Inglescomb c1747 baptism
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 16:51 BST (UK) »
Well found, David!  Some originals of the period have so many 'curls' to the initial capital letters it was hard for transcribers to decipher what was intended! 

My most recent Somerset post-1837 encounter was transcribed FAHING from the original PR;  FUPING in GRO index (from copy submitted by incumbent who had an identical middle initial 'F' in his own signature).  Using my 'squinting' method I saw PEEPING, which subsequently led me to PIPPEN/PIPPIN!

Such are the quirks of my favourite hobby ..... ::)
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline babygirl101

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 August 14 17:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for this information. It confirms that for some reason the couple returned to Praxty's Inglecomb/Englishcombe for the birth of their daughter in 1775.

It's still odd that the Banns entry gave Robert Carpenter as a John; he was something of a 'chancer' to say the least and it cost him his life in the end, so maybe he used different aliases to suit!

As for the possible baptism or burial entry, really not sure, I wonder if could actually be a burial for Praxty's mother, as you say Praxty would have been far too young to have married if that were her baptism, unless she had been baptized as a child rather than a baby. I suspect that one may remain unanswered.

Brilliant bit of research, thank you so much. The missing baptism of Caroline has been bothering me for ages, it's great when a puzzle is solved. I'd assumed she was either not baptized at all or it took place somewhere in London.

Many thanks for all your help

BG :)
Murden - Warwickshire & Nottinghamshire
Bower - Nottinghamshire (mainly Newark)
Crowder - Mansfield Nottinghamshire & Devon
Price - Newark,  Nottinghamshire
Ingleton - Skillington, Lincolnshire
Smith - All parts of Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire & Lincolnshire especially Wisdom Smith, Robert & Evening Smith

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 August 14 20:42 BST (UK) »
Sorry, that "John" was my mistake!

I've been in touch with the OPC now. She has better quality photos of the registers now than when she originally did the transcriptions. The banns are definitely Robert Carpenter of Moncton Farley and Praxy Wyat otp, 23 & 30 Oct and 6 Nov.  The year is omitted but from the position of the entry it was 1767 or 1768.

The other entry is definitely a burial, of Pracsey the daughter of Robert Wiat, 16 Mar 1755.

The Englishcombe registers were very poorly kept. There are very few entries from before 1748 and very likely gaps after that. There are some BTs from the 17th century and they do include some Wyatts, so the family could have lived there right through, unrecorded.

David

Offline babygirl101

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 September 14 18:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you for going to so much trouble to check this out for me.  It seems odd that the family buried a daughter named Pracsey in 1755 and married one off called Praxy to Robert Carpenter in 1767!

Robert was born c1748 so it seems likely that his bride would have been about the same age making them about 21 when they married.

BG :)
Murden - Warwickshire & Nottinghamshire
Bower - Nottinghamshire (mainly Newark)
Crowder - Mansfield Nottinghamshire & Devon
Price - Newark,  Nottinghamshire
Ingleton - Skillington, Lincolnshire
Smith - All parts of Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire & Lincolnshire especially Wisdom Smith, Robert & Evening Smith

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 01 September 14 20:21 BST (UK) »
Families in those days often repeated the same few names over the generations, so its actually quite common for an otherwise rare name to crop up several times in one family. The other Praxy was almost certainly a relative, most likely a cousin.

David