Author Topic: James Caine  (Read 36219 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: James Caine
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 30 January 14 23:07 GMT (UK) »
John George Caine - 2 Aug 1868 Woodside - Registration Place: Nairne, South Australia.
Father James Caine and Mother Mary Ann Kewley. Page 153 Volume 66

Margaret Caine - 13 Apr 1866 - Woodside - Registration Place: Nairne, South Australia.
Page 19 Volume 43

Margaret Caine - died  13 May 1885 Woodside - aged 19 years - Registration Place: Nairne, South Australia. Page 314 - Volume 146.

Sandra

Like your "Story so far" - saves going back to check  ;D That's good having the newspaper report backs up the confirmation of the death registration.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Morganne

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 16 November 14 03:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

I noticed your John George Caine lived at the same address as one of my ancestors, 87 Cecil Street, South Melbourne. Although not related, would you by any chance have any photos of the house as its now unfortunately a shopping complex! My 3x Great Aunt Catherine Friedrichsen nee Clements died there on 1 December 1916.

Kind regards,
Morganne

Offline arranev

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 26 September 15 12:32 BST (UK) »
John George Caine was my grandfather. His wife was christened Charity Kellow but she was called "Minnie".  They married in Wesley Church, Perth, Western Australia on January 02, 1912.  They had one son, Wilbur Hall Caine, who was born on 15th June 1915.  Wilbur was born in Albert Park, Melbourne and lived in Melbourne most of his life but he moved to the Gold Coast, Queensland in about 1985 and died there on 17th March, 2013. John and Minnie parted company about 2 years after my father was born and he believed that his father was dead as he had no contact with him at all in his life. He was very surprised when I told him that my research showed that he was living in a neighbouring suburb to him and had died in 1946 in Prince Henry's Hospital (now demolished).
Minnie died in St Kilda on 28th June, 1951. Regarding John's brothers and sisters, Albert James Caine was a miner and was killed in a rock fall in the Broken Hill South Mine on 19th October 1910.  His older brother William Henry Caine died in Broken Hill on 2nd August, 1915 and is buried in the same grave as Albert in the Broken Hill Cemetery.  His death certificate states that the informant for his death was his sister, Mrs A. Dixon.  I have not been able to find any marriage for her, but as stated elsewhere on this site, she appears to have had a child named Constance Ellen "Cane" in 1900 but I can find nothing else on Constance. She also had a son named Jack Dixon who was known to other relatives of mine of the surname Tedmanson, but where he was born I don't know. Agnes Helena Caine died in Adelaide, South Australia on 17th November, 1950 and was buried as "Alice" Helena Dixon.  Her obituary had her christened name of Agnes in parentheses after Alice.  Mary Ann Caine who married Hugh Wallace, appears to have had an unhappy marriage and in addition to the 5 she had with Hugh, is reported to have had an illegitimate child in Birdsville, Queensland in about 1893.  There may also have been 2 others.  She married Alfred Wright in Queensland in 1905 and died in Rockhampton Hospital, Queensland on 6th July, 1912.  Her death certificate does not mention any of her children's names unfortunately.  The informant was the Dispenser at the hospital. Her parents names were correctly identified, however.  Mary Ann Caine (nee Kewley) had been married to James Miller before she married James Caine.  Presumably James Miller died and her second marriage was on 26th Sept 1853 in Lonan, Isle of Man.  Her first marriage was on 2nd June, 1847. James Caine and Mary Ann Kewley had their first two children on the IOM, namely Mary Ann b. 1854 and William Henry b.1856.   I am interested in where Jack Dixon was born and some detail about his father, Charles John Dixon.  Does anyone have any information there please?  arranev

Offline Ann Shirley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 22 January 18 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Interesting birth - Constance Eileen Cane - 20 March 1900 -Mother's Name: Agnes Helena Cane. Adelaide. Page 115 - Vol 654

Sandra
Hi
We believe my grandmother was born to Agnes Caine [Woodside South Australia] however we are having great difficulty finding more information about my grandmothers early life.
Ann

Offline Ann Shirley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 22 January 18 09:53 GMT (UK) »
John George Caine was my grandfather. His wife was christened Charity Kellow but she was called "Minnie".  They married in Wesley Church, Perth, Western Australia on January 02, 1912.  They had one son, Wilbur Hall Caine, who was born on 15th June 1915.  Wilbur was born in Albert Park, Melbourne and lived in Melbourne most of his life but he moved to the Gold Coast, Queensland in about 1985 and died there on 17th March, 2013. John and Minnie parted company about 2 years after my father was born and he believed that his father was dead as he had no contact with him at all in his life. He was very surprised when I told him that my research showed that he was living in a neighbouring suburb to him and had died in 1946 in Prince Henry's Hospital (now demolished).
Minnie died in St Kilda on 28th June, 1951. Regarding John's brothers and sisters, Albert James Caine was a miner and was killed in a rock fall in the Broken Hill South Mine on 19th October 1910.  His older brother William Henry Caine died in Broken Hill on 2nd August, 1915 and is buried in the same grave as Albert in the Broken Hill Cemetery.  His death certificate states that the informant for his death was his sister, Mrs A. Dixon.  I have not been able to find any marriage for her, but as stated elsewhere on this site, she appears to have had a child named Constance Ellen "Cane" in 1900 but I can find nothing else on Constance. She also had a son named Jack Dixon who was known to other relatives of mine of the surname Tedmanson, but where he was born I don't know. Agnes Helena Caine died in Adelaide, South Australia on 17th November, 1950 and was buried as "Alice" Helena Dixon.  Her obituary had her christened name of Agnes in parentheses after Alice.  Mary Ann Caine who married Hugh Wallace, appears to have had an unhappy marriage and in addition to the 5 she had with Hugh, is reported to have had an illegitimate child in Birdsville, Queensland in about 1893.  There may also have been 2 others.  She married Alfred Wright in Queensland in 1905 and died in Rockhampton Hospital, Queensland on 6th July, 1912.  Her death certificate does not mention any of her children's names unfortunately.  The informant was the Dispenser at the hospital. Her parents names were correctly identified, however.  Mary Ann Caine (nee Kewley) had been married to James Miller before she married James Caine.  Presumably James Miller died and her second marriage was on 26th Sept 1853 in Lonan, Isle of Man.  Her first marriage was on 2nd June, 1847. James Caine and Mary Ann Kewley had their first two children on the IOM, namely Mary Ann b. 1854 and William Henry b.1856.   I am interested in where Jack Dixon was born and some detail about his father, Charles John Dixon.  Does anyone have any information there please?  arranev
My Grandmother was born Ruby Kathleen Errington to Agnes Caine and George Errington. She was fostered / adopted shortly after birth and we have no information on her early life.
Ann

Offline Ann Shirley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Not sure if you are still looking for information on Agnes Helena Caine / Dixon but it appears Agnes was also my great grandmother. We have just found documents for my grandmothers birth which shows Agnes Helena Caine as her mother and George Errington as her father. My grandmother was born Ruby Kathleen Errington on 25th May 1921 in Adelaide South Australia.
Ann

Offline arranev

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 23 February 18 04:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ann, Yes I am still interested in Agnes Helena Caine and amazed that she had another child in 1921.  She would then have been 46 years old which is getting on a bit for bearing children.  This would be her third child that I know of but I haven't been able to find her ever being married.  Would you mind telling me the source of the information of Agnes's relationship with George? Official S.A. state records have her first child having been born in 1900, with no father's name supplied.  Her second child, Jack, was not recorded at all.  Jack was born 1913c.  I have lots of information about Agnes's 9 other siblings which I can supply to you if you are interested.  They were an interesting lot who had to battle to make a living it would appear.  Kind Regards, Neville Caine 

Offline Ann Shirley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 23 February 18 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neville
We have just recently found my grandmothers birth certificate. She was born in a laying in house run by a Mrs Klaebe in Angas Street Adelaide South Australia. The birth certificate list Agnes Helena Caine as her mother and George Errington as her father. My grandmother was born Ruby Kathleen Errington and looks like she was in foster care from the first few weeks of birth. She was later adopted by a family called May.
So the source of the information is Births Deaths and Marriages in South Australia - I have a copy.
I also have a DNA link [through Ancestry] to the Caine family - Bert Fishlock - Louisa Caine.
 I am in South Australia.
There is mention on this site that Agnes was burried in Centenial Park Cemetery as Helena Dixon. Not sure if you know this - I intend to visit the grave to see if it reveals more information.
Would love any information you have on Agnes or her family.
Regards
Ann

Offline arranev

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 25 February 18 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann,
I have not used this site very well over the years and I've just read all the previous postings.  Had I done that earlier I could have saved myself a lot of work.  However, I have a lot of information about Agnes (Alice) Helena Caine which I can send to you via this site or directly to you if you so desire.  Researchers at the Broken Hill Genealogical Society sent me information a couple of years ago which stated that the family of a Mrs Herrington were trying to find Agnes Helena Caine in 1919.  Herrington and Errington are very similar and possibly have been misheard or mis-written somewhere along the way. I will prepare some documents for you and post them on this site.
Regarding the link to Louisa Caine (one of Agnes's 6 sisters), presumably you are not also a direct descendent of her but just have a familial link, such as I would have as well.  Had someone been reaching Louise directly via Ancestor or was she a relative of someone they were researching do you know?
As previously advised, Agnes was buried in Centennial Park Cemetery under the name of Alice Helena Dixon and tenure of her grave has now been declared expired according to the cemetery's website.  I don't know what this means with regard to the grave and headstone of which I have a photograph somewhere in my records.  I live in Melbourne and I did a fair bit research in the Adelaide Public Library last year but couldn't find any marriages for Agnes.
Kind Regards,
Neville Caine