Author Topic: Newtown Drogheda  (Read 3086 times)

Offline sgrollitt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Newtown Drogheda
« on: Tuesday 28 January 14 14:32 GMT (UK) »
I believe my Boden (or Bowden) ancestors lived in Newtown Drogheda. Please correct me if I'm wrong, this is now part of Drogheda town, but is still referred to as Newtown. It lies within the St Peter's parish. Close by is Newtownstalaban. There are several Boden burials in the graveyard there. There is a James Bowden of Newtown Stalaban who was buried there on 4 Mar 1855.

My g3-grandfather was James Bowden who died some time between 1847 and 1860.

Is there anyone researching this family? Or, how would I resarch this family or this area?

Offline mjflynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Newtown Drogheda
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 February 14 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Simon,

I am descended from the Bowdens in the Newtownstalaban graveyard and have some information about the family, though unfortunately I have not been able to find anything going further back than the information on the headstone. I am happy to share what I have and collaborate on further research.

Michael.

Offline sgrollitt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Newtown Drogheda
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 February 14 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Michael

My g2-grandmother was born around 1830 and the place we've always known as her original home is Newtown Drogheda. This was not listed under this name back then, but as Newtownstalaban. There are apparently many Boden/Bowden burials in that churchyard - now apparently in disrepair and disregard.

The only other things we know about her life in Ireland is that her father was James Boden, a farmer, and that she had brothers Patrick and James.

Ann left Ireland for England in 1847 at the height of the famine and settled in Sheffield, Yorkshire. She died there in 1903 and her grave is about 200 yards from where I live in Sheffield.

Are any of these names familiar to you?

Cheers
Simon