Author Topic: Mike from Leicester  (Read 28700 times)

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The only way forward is backwards
    • View Profile
Re: Mike from Leicester
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for giving us a recount on Mike's last farewell "Trystan"
It sounded like a lovely service.

Suzy W
TEW family of Leire/Leicester and New Zealand
MERRICKS of Stafford/Birmingham
PENTECOST of Surrey and New Zealand
POTENTIER of France, England and Canada
WATKINS of London and New Zealand
WHITAKER of Guiseley Yorkshire and New Zealand
LYALL, of Dundee, Caithness and New Zealand

And far too many to add

Offline Ozdais

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 08:19 GMT (UK) »
It WAS a very moving service, there were glimpses of the Mike we knew, as well as insights into the Mike we didn't know so well - the one with artistic talent, the chef..... Rachel and family also included some great photos in the service sheet - if anyone would like to see it, pm me your email addy and will scan it for you.

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 23:07 BST (UK) »
Love the tribute to Mike on your web site Alan.

We used to chat about you and ourselves often.

I was talking about him to someone in Market Harboro'
on Tuesday that knew him.

Sorely missed.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline Ozdais

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 01 May 14 08:16 BST (UK) »
It IS a lovely tribute.

...And Yes, he is missed - he was a tremendous help to me in tracking my Butlers of Leicester, and I know he would have been right in there helping with my latest mystery.

Will be strange going into the new County Scout Shop without Mike behind the counter.  :(

Offline RobfromYeovil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Thursday 01 May 14 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hello All

Firstly please accept my apologies for not posting sooner, some days drag by and sometimes they fly, so really hard to keep track of how long it has been already.

I would like to say a huge thanks for all the messages on here regarding my dad.  Also special thanks to those who attended his funeral, it was a great comfort to all of the family,so thanks.

It is a day that I, and the rest of the gang will never forget - for many reasons - the number of people who  attended the service, the moving tribute from the Scouts with their guard of honor.

Rachel has asked me to join this site and post our thanks on it, and to post a copy of the eulogy that we delivered on the day.  Many people have a genuine interest in hearing about the day so we thought this would be a good way to make our contribution to the thread.

Please ignore any spelling etc, copied below is simply the notes used on the day - and it kind of made sense to me at the time!
Also, I have just found out that there is a character limit on posts so will post the eulogy in several posts to get it all in for you!

Offline RobfromYeovil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Thursday 01 May 14 23:01 BST (UK) »
After a lot of soul searching and thought, We would very much like to present this tribute to our Dad; it is a compilation of the stories, memories and  photos that we’ve pieced together over the last few weeks.

So please, sit back, relax, take a deep breath and SMILE, some may find it helpful  to close their eyes.

This is the story of our Dad that we would like to share with you today, had he been with us it is the story you never would have heard. But we will now just start with GREETINGS FOLKS…

Dad was born on Thursday May 28th 1942 to proud parents Mother and Dad (Jack and Murial)
Michael Frederick Cassell , THATS CASSELL, C.. A.. DOUBLE S.. E.. DOUBLE L...

He was the third son born into the Cassell family, his two brothers Clifford and David having arrived in the years before,  sadly neither of them  can be here with us today..
David,  having sadly passed away in 2010 and Clifford, although very much alive and well and playing with his train sets in New Zealand  is unable to attend due to the huge distance but, he  assures us his time table have been adjusted!

Contrary to popular belief Dad wasn’t born with a full bread or wearing his scout uniform,
but we do think he came out clutching his trusty penknife and compass (sorry Granny!)

During his childhood, dad developed many pastimes which he carried on and,  re-kindled at various points of his life. A great artist, a keen photographer, a lover of the outdoors, he loved his Hornby trains to name but a few.

Dad very much enjoyed his time at Dale Secondary Modern School becoming prefect and  taking  up on the many extra activities on offer; swimming /diving, cricket, football , cycling, and sailing, his favourite being chess club, which he went on to develop his skills to county level.

After Dad left school in 1957 he became an Apprentice Chef at the Grand Hotel, right here in Leicester. Dad must have been pretty good at this cooking lark as he progressed over the year’s upto Head Chef

And it was around this time that he made a good friend, a friend so good he introduced him to his much younger sister,
Dad continued with his cycling (the most impressive trips being Leicester to Skegness time trials) and throughout his early courting days many a happy weekend was spent with a light stuck on his head whilst potholing through the caves of Yorkshire and Derbyshire. Anyway things blossomed in his relationship and in 1963 Lesley and Michael were married!
In 1966 he was blessed with his first child, a daughter “Sarah”, his princess,
he probably thought his life couldn’t get any better.  However, in 1968 along came another beautiful child... a loving and extremely handsome son “Robert”... ‘Me!’
(Pause...  Cheeky look n grin to the congregation)

We remember Dad using his artistic skills  to entertain and look after us kids, he  painted the Magic Roundabout characters onto Sarah’s and my bedroom walls, ‘Dougal’  Brian the snail and the rest of the gang. (dougal was also being the name Sarah gave his  rather impressive moustache!)

Sadly, for many reasons the marriage ended, and dad, like many fathers faced with this situation in those times, sadly and regrettably, lost contact with his Princess and me.

In the early 70’s, history soon started to repeat itself (a regular thing for our dad) , And while it started out differently, namely starting as a blind date in 1972, things blossomed and he  married  Jane in 1974 and wow dad those side burns were very impressive! 

3 years later a daughter arrived ‘Rachel’ very much the apple of his eye (sorry rach its those lovely cheeks ) and then followed in 1981  by another good looking and, the icing on the cake… handsome son ‘Peter’ in 1981. 

Offline RobfromYeovil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Thursday 01 May 14 23:02 BST (UK) »
Just one of Rachel’s memories of how  special a  Dad he was, was when she saved up and bought her first bike, she did this because she wanted to use it for her first job – a paper-round.  . She’d decided to get a Sunday round as it was only 1 day a week but hadn’t figured on the weight of the Sunday papers! Within the first 2 mins she had fell of said bike twice and with scraped elbows ran home to dad…. dad stepped in and got the car out and that’s how it stayed for the next 3 years, In all weathers they ventured out, without fail but he  always insisted it was her job, so the wages were hers too.

During the late 70’s Dad felt a change in career was in order, a need to escape the confines of a kitchen (after first becoming a master butcher in 74) ,and  go back to his love of the outdoors……..so he became a milkman! He further rose to supervisor but was very much saddened when privatisation came in and moved his career to join the Red Cross as a delivery / technician and again climbed that ladder and became head stores man.

One of Pete’s fondest memories of spending time with Dad, is of a sponsored walk they did around Bradgate park for the scouts in the late 80s,early 90s, while at the time I think Pete was less than impressed that Dad insisted that they do another lap as ‘they really should set an example’, I think he appreciates that dad really didn’t try to set an example, in life as well as that day, a thing few people can stand by.

Towards the end of dads working life he really would of loved to become a paramedic  but with too many years on the clock it wasn’t to be. But this didn’t stop him practicing. He would always stop, at any “incident” whether help was required or not. But of course first-aid rules and regulations have to be followed!  (something you might have noticed!)

But of course we haven’t mentioned what was  maybe his greatest passion in life , Scouting.  This started as a boy, him and his brothers enjoyed countless hours spent tying each other up.. Sorry tying ropes and enjoying the great outdoors. He very quickly in 1983 responded to a request for help and become a warranted leader with the 82nd Leicester Scout troop, from there he took on many responsibilities and activities – memories that are too numerous to pick just one here but memories he and many of you will never forget. So my thanks to Lord Baden Powell, and many thanks to you all at  Leicester Scouts for having him!  And for helping him to achieve his 30 years service medal, a very proud moment for him in his life, we are sure.

But in his personal life, once again history repeated itself  and in 1995 he was a single man again.
Like all of us in times of sadness he went home,…… to a mother that was always a great comfort to him, and in return he was able to become a great carer for her in the final years of her life.

After sadly losing his mother in  2001, he was fortunate to have many friends and colleagues from this church, the scouts and many of his online friends from genealogy sites, which in many ways became his extended family. Dad really touched  so many peoples life’s over the years. so thanks to you all for being part of his.

Offline RobfromYeovil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Thursday 01 May 14 23:03 BST (UK) »
Lastly, to his online friends, some of which we know will be here today.  We have been deeply moved and  have found great comfort in what many of you have put online since his passing, Thank you all. I’m sure he’s sorry he could not help you anymore with your family projects
(but guess what folks, he has all the answers now – the truth was out there!)

Please feel free to follow Dad  to the crematorium or sit tight here for as dad would put it ‘his bun fight’ later, for those of you coming to the wake please make sure you have a piece of his large Walkers Pork Pie (and we didn’t forget the mustard dad)

So now, He’s gone home, his train has pulled into its final stop and he must get off.
Ta ta family, ta ta friends........  That’s all folks!!

EXCEPT….

Dad,
You will be missed more than we  think you could have ever realised.

You were at times stubborn, annoying, frustrating, useless at keeping in touch, useless with IT (but an expert with the spell check!),useless at delegation,  a messy chef, a lousy writer of letters,  and often just a plain old silly bugger!

But we, along with many others here today, and many that will be here with us today in thought only, we would not have wanted you any other way.  You were you:

Thoughtful, helpful to those who asked for help, always willing to show people the ‘right’ way of doing things, extremely community spirited, often sacrificing his own wants and needs to appease others. Loving and loved.

Without you there would be no sarah, rachel pete or me, and then without us there would be no ....... heck, between us we have produced too many children to mention here! At the last count there were 10 grandchildren – 6 boys and four girls. And one beautiful great granddaughter.

On reflection, I think I should name them :

Matthew
Oliver
Luke
Bonnie
Katie
Tomas
Matty
Zoe
Tom
Megan
And one great grand-daughter, the newly born Lily-Mai

We will forever hold you in our hearts and want to say we love you, we are missing you Dad, and standing here today I can vouch  for us all  that we extremely proud and honoured to be able to say we were your children.

From all of us in the Family circle and from your many friends, we salute you.
God Bless

Footprints

One night I had a dream.
I was dreamed I was walking along the beach with God, and across the sky flashed scenes from my life.

For each scene I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand, one belonged to me, and the other to God.

When the last scene of my life flashed before us I looked back at the footprints in the sand.
I noticed that at times along the path of life there was only one set of footprints.  I also noticed that it happened at the very lowest and saddest times of my life.

This bothered me and I questioned God about it.

“God, you said that once I decided to follow you, you would walk with me all the way, but, I noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life there is only one set of footprints.  I don’t understand why, in times when I needed you most, you would leave me.”

God replied

“My precious, precious child, I love you and I would never, never leave you during your times of trials and suffering.  When you see only one set of footprints it was when I carried you.”

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Thursday 01 May 14 23:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Rob and Rachel, and all the family
To say it was a beautiful day - I know sounds wrong, but it was a celebration of a special person, and that made it beautiful.  It was lovely to meet you all  - I really appreciate you typing this out, as my hearing is not as good as it was and I couldnt hear it properly on the day, so thank you.

WOW - such beautiful words.   

Take care all

xin :)