Author Topic: Edward Taylor alias Jenkins 1739-1821  (Read 4217 times)

Offline Oliver Andersson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Taylor alias Jenkins 1739-1821
« on: Wednesday 29 January 14 18:27 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out where Edward Taylor @ Jenkins comes from.

He married Mary Hobbs in Goathurst, Somerset, 19 September 1762 according to http://www.wsom.org.uk/Registers/GhstMar16821812.htm
I am not sure which his real surname is, probably Taylor, but why would he want to change it?

There first child, born 1764, was called Susanna Taylor @ Jenkins but there second child, born 1766, was called Sarah Jenkins. After 1764 there are not signs of the name Taylor ever being used again. They got a total of 7 kids and Mary Died in 1787, aged 55.

Edward might have married again after Mary died. In 1788 an Edward Jenkins married Mary Mullins in Goathurst, but I don't think they had any children. I am not sure if this is the same Edward Jenkins but there were not a lot of them around.

Edward died in Goathurst, 1821 at an age of 82 years.

Does anybody have any information about Edward and why he would have wanted to change his name? His decision to change it would in that case be the reason my mothers maiden name is Jenkins.

Thanks in advance.
Oliver

Offline lalkav

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Taylor alias Jenkins 1739-1821
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 May 15 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hi I was wondering if you found out why Taylor alias Jenkins had been used. I would be really interested to know as I've recently found out that there is a connection to my husbands family tree with Edward Jenkins. Thanks.

Offline Oliver Andersson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 May 15 19:37 BST (UK) »
Hi I was wondering if you found out why Taylor alias Jenkins had been used. I would be really interested to know as I've recently found out that there is a connection to my husbands family tree with Edward Jenkins. Thanks.

Hi lalkav!

The only thing I have found on Edward is possible match on a baptism in Broomfield.  The boy named Edward Jenkins Taylor is the son of Sarah Taylor, baptised on the 25 March 1739. http://www.wsom.org.uk/Registers/BmfBap17001753.htm

Since there is no father on record I suspect that he was an illegitimate child and his fathers name might have been Jenkins and that Edward later in life decided to use his fathers surname and not his mother's.

I have not been able to track down any possible fathers and I have no hope of doing so. You might be able to continue by looking in to Sarah Taylor's family though.

Offline lalkav

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 May 15 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Oliver,

Thanks for that information. I'll look into Sarah Taylor and see if I can find anything. Edward Jenkins is my husbands 5x great grandfather and his mothers maiden name is Jenkins.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 May 15 12:18 BST (UK) »
ROGER/JOAN or Jone Taylor Baptised these Children, St Mary and All Saints, Broomfield;
JOHN, 30 Oct 1705
JOAN, 16 Nov 1708
SARAH, 4 Sept 1711****
ELIZABETH, 28 June 1714
THOMAS, 14 Oct 1718
ANNE, 24 July 1724**

Roger TAYLER married Jone HOPKINS, 26 Oct 1703 same Church

A JOAN Taylor was buried 17 Feb 1750 same Church, no age given

SARAH Baptised Edward Jenkins Taylor as you say 25 March 1739
ANNE Baptised a unnamed Child 25 Nov 1750
(buried as THOMAS Taylor I think, 29 Nov 1750, infant)

All above on FreeREG

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline lalkav

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 14:22 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Trish  :)

Offline readymoney88

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 December 17 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello,  I am new to this having just started researching my family history. Edward Taylor Jenkins is also my 5 x great grandfather, and I am having trouble tracing his father. I live only a few miles from Goathurst where my father grew up and have recently visited the Somerset Heritage offices who hold most of the old Parish Records. it is clear he was the illegitimate child of Sarah Taylor and I thought I saw somewhere Edward Jenkins but I can find no records to back this up have you had any further luck? Regards Rod

Offline lalkav

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 December 17 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rod,

We've recently visited Goathurst. We could have had a family reunion if we'd known you lived nearby  ;) I too had also seen the Edward Jenkins. There is an Edward Jenkins, who like Sarah Taylor, is also from Broomfield. He was born in 1683 and his father was also called Edward. I'm wondering if he is the likeliest candidate to be Edward's father.

My husband has had several DNA matches to this line and we have it confirmed to his 3x great grandparents William Jenkins and Mary Ann Jennings.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 December 17 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi again lalkav,

Edward Jenkins Baptised 1 March 1684 Broomfield, Father Edward, may have died 12 days later;
Burial 13 Mar 1684, Edward, Son of Edward
(FreeREG)

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)