Author Topic: is this too much of a stretch  (Read 2970 times)

Offline meggles

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
is this too much of a stretch
« on: Wednesday 29 January 14 20:01 GMT (UK) »
I have a couple of threads going at the moment:
1. is about Jessie May Chamberlain marring twice as a spinster - my theory
2. the other is help with a NSW birth

Basically I was looking for the birth of a Roy Elliott. He was given to a aunt to raise and he never knew who his real parents were. (he was raised by Matthew Elliott and Charlotte nee Chamberlain)
In Notes that my Grandmother had written many years before her death was that Roy was Jessie May Chamberlain's son (older sister of Charlotte Chamberlain)
So I went in search of how this could be.
I found out that Jessie married in 1907 which I never knew - George Henry Davis - and George Henry Davis was I think already married (all in the Spinster thread)
So now I have found a birth for R.D. in 1911, The information on this birth is half right and half wrong for my Roy Elliott.
1. he said on his ww2 record he was born 29th July 1912 - the birth I have is 29th July 1911.
2. parents are: George Davis born Shoalhaven and May Chambers born Shoalhaven - I am saying that parents were George Davis and Jessie May Chamberlain both born Shoalhaven
3. the marriage date of these 2 is 1908 instead of 1907 - but same day and month  - different marriage spot though - my couple married in Berry - this couple say Moruya, nsw
the rest of the info matches my George and Jessie May.
The baby was born in the asylum for women and children Thomas street Sydney.

So what I am thinking is that this is my R. - and this is probably about the time that Jessie has found out that George has another family.  There is a lot of embarrassment surrounding this situation and also I think that she is trying to hide the fact that she did marry a already married man.  There is no record so far that I can find of a annulment ( I have emailed the church of Jessie's second marriage in hope that they might have some info)

Is this too far fetch??
Harris - Denbury Devon
Wotton - Ideford Devon
Chamberlain - Kent
Burgess - Sussex
Savage - South Australia
Wilks - South Australia
Horrigan - South Australia
Hodgson - Lancashire
Martin - St Stithians, Cornwall
Mathers - Liverpool
Riley/Royle - Lancashire

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: is this too much of a stretch
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello Meggles,
Came across on TROVE in SMH 12 Mar 1900 page 1 under 'Memoriam' - there are quite a few listings under CHAMBERLAIN giving family names with the last entry   "  …. Inserted by her loving nieces, Violet, Lavetta, Winnie, Jessie Chamberlain of Berry. "

The link is
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/14299083?searchTerm=%22Jessie%20Chamberlain%22&searchLimits=l-category=Family+Notices

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 21:24 GMT (UK) »
 So, who was the informant for the birth registration of the baby born 29 July 1911?   

I think it is important to mention that it possible that persons born in 1911 may well still be living.   I am sure you know about the fate of  the child raised by Matthew Elliott and Charlotte nee Chamberlain.  BUT what if the child born in 1911 is still LIVING?   He is entitled to his personal privacy.  I think you should remove his name until you have conclusive evidence as to his connection to the ELLIOTT family. 
Cheers,  JM   

So now I have found a birth  xxxxxxx  in 1911, The information on this birth is half right and half wrong for my Roy Elliott.
1. he said on his ww2 record he was born 29th July 1912 - the birth I have is 29th July 1911.

I HAVE EDITED MUCH OF THIS POST as it seems I have been misunderstood.   Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Meggles

There are enough similarities for me to think that you have the correct people.However,  I agree with JM that signatures are needed. That will be the only way to have conclusive proof.

If this is the correct couple, it's interesting to see that she had the baby in the asylum. Not the place of choice for a married woman.

Regards
Jennaya

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 22:08 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure which thread to post on with the following OBIT from 18 April 1903 Shoalhaven news
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/135733190 so I am popping it here.  It is for George Henry DAVIS, the chap 1840 -1903. 

But likely here's another possible chap named George Henry DAVIS  .... he was a tad on the very wealthy side !
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/53283243 Morning Bulletin (Rockhampton Qld)_ 22 Oct 1912
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/5323629 Advertiser (South Australia) 13 Oct 911

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 22:10 GMT (UK) »
A question re the 1911 birth....

Are there any older siblings noted on the document?    Afterall, it notes a 1908 marriage  :)

ADD

http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/nsw/NE00315   RENWICK
http://www.dictionaryofsydney.org/entry/benevolent_society_and_asylum   Renwick commences under that name 3 July 1911.  Baby born 29 July 1911.

http://acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/item/itemdetailpaged.aspx?itemid=825697 

And from Rchat's Resources Board  :) http://www.sydneybenevolentasylum.com/ Its an index covering to 1900, but there's contact details for follow up as the index is based on some of the archive material at NSW SL...  http://www.sydneybenevolentasylum.com/index.php?page=contact-us

Cheers,  JM

Offline meggles

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 23:24 GMT (UK) »

But likely here's another possible chap named George Henry DAVIS  .... he was a tad on the very wealthy side !  - Sorry already followed this chap through and it is not him.  I have ordered many transcriptions in regards to all of this - some right and some wrong. I have done alot of reserach into as many George Henry Davis's as possible -  Before I come to this conclusion.
AND it is just a working conclusion at the moment, I am not stating any of this as fact, and have not entered any of this into my tree.  I am basically thinking out loud and asking for some thoughts.
I have emailed the transcription company I use to ask for advise, I have emailed St Lukes the church in Berry where Jessie's second marriage took place to see if there is any mention of  the first marriage in their records (they have just got back to me and there is not) and i am still looking for more info.  I have email the asylum where this baby was born requesting more info - this should tell me how long she was in the asylum and when her and baby were discharged to.

I have big  doubts the person that married Jessie in 1907 was pretending to be the George Henry Davis with parents George and Mary. 
Thank you for everyone that has sent a PM supporting my theory and giving me their own examples in their family tress on how one man was married to 2 women for a long period of time without ever being caught. 

The witness on the birth for the baby  is the nurse - so no help at all.
cheers
Meggles
Harris - Denbury Devon
Wotton - Ideford Devon
Chamberlain - Kent
Burgess - Sussex
Savage - South Australia
Wilks - South Australia
Horrigan - South Australia
Hodgson - Lancashire
Martin - St Stithians, Cornwall
Mathers - Liverpool
Riley/Royle - Lancashire

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 23:40 GMT (UK) »

But likely here's another possible chap named George Henry DAVIS  .... he was a tad on the very wealthy side !  - Sorry already followed this chap through and it is not him.  I have ordered many transcriptions in regards to all of this - some right and some wrong. I have done alot of reserach into as many George Henry Davis's as possible -  Before I come to this conclusion.
AND it is just a working conclusion at the moment, I am not stating any of this as fact, and have not entered any of this into my tree.  I am basically thinking out loud and asking for some thoughts.
I have emailed the transcription company I use to ask for advise, I have emailed St Lukes the church in Berry where Jessie's second marriage took place to see if there is any mention of  the first marriage in their records (they have just got back to me and there is not) and i am still looking for more info.  I have email the asylum where this baby was born requesting more info - this should tell me how long she was in the asylum and when her and baby were discharged to.

I have big  doubts the person that married Jessie in 1907 was pretending to be the George Henry Davis with parents George and Mary. 
Thank you for everyone that has sent a PM supporting my theory and giving me their own examples in their family tress on how one man was married to 2 women for a long period of time without ever being caught. 

The witness on the birth for the baby  is the nurse - so no help at all.
cheers
Meggles

Hi there,

May I please ask you to check the 1911 transcription again, and advise the name of the person who attended to the registration.  The transcription ought to include that person’s relationship to the baby….  NSW BDM also provide for the names of threee witnesses for the birth.    The informant can of course BE the witness, but these are separate pieces of information.   

So from my own records, may I note that the 1910 birth of one of my living elderly rellies shows that his MOTHER registered his birth and that she did so around four weeks after he was born.   She did NOT take him along to the deputy registrar to prove he existed (‘not present’), and she supplied the details of her marriage, and the older siblings.    She SIGNED the register and her signature is clearly legible on the real deal certificate that my rellie has held for decades and decades.  I have a recent copy issued by NSW BDM.   

Cheers,  JM .   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 January 14 00:09 GMT (UK) »
I have removed much of my earlier reply as it seems I have been misunderstood.  I have left the comments re privacy.   The other comments were quite separate from that issue.  They were suggesting obtaining real deal certifcates with signatures and using the fine resources at RChat for comparing. 

I apologise to RChat for disrupting the flow of this thread.  I apologise to Jennaya for the possibility that her (or his) post may also be misunderstood

Hi Meggles

There are enough similarities for me to think that you have the correct people.However,  I agree with JM that signatures are needed. That will be the only way to have conclusive proof.

If this is the correct couple, it's interesting to see that she had the baby in the asylum. Not the place of choice for a married woman.

Regards
Jennaya

Cheers,  JM.   

So, who was the informant for the birth registration of the baby born 29 July 1911?   

I think it is important to mention that it possible that persons born in 1911 may well still be living.   I am sure you know about the fate of  the child raised by Matthew Elliott and Charlotte nee Chamberlain.  BUT what if the child born in 1911 is still LIVING?   He is entitled to his personal privacy.  I think you should remove his name until you have conclusive evidence as to his connection to the ELLIOTT family. 
Cheers,  JM   

So now I have found a birth  xxxxxxx  in 1911, The information on this birth is half right and half wrong for my Roy Elliott.

I HAVE EDITED MUCH OF THIS POST as it seems I have been misunderstood.   Cheers,  JM