Author Topic: William Ferguson (c1800 - pre 1851)  (Read 18274 times)

Offline Hendo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: William Ferguson (c1800 - pre 1851)
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 27 December 15 05:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stephen
Apologies, I have led you up the proverbial garden path.  It was actually Tinnel.  The 1861 Peebles census lists his birthplace as Tinnel, Dumfriesshire.  I will send it to you via your email address.
Once again, apologies for the 'Furphy'.
Best regards
Rob
Perhaps too much Xmas cheer!
Henderson, Cunningham, McNaught, Chartres, Lilburne, Porteous, Higham, Saw

Offline Hendo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 27 December 15 05:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dod
Thanks but I already have the marriage banns for Lasswade & Peebles for Helen & John.  However, I haven't been able to find her birth registration.  Have you found it?
Best regards
Rob

Offline David Roycroft

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 23 July 18 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hi
I think I can update on Windsover..we live at Hillend farm..next to Allanton Mill and Winsover cottages, Auldgirth, Dumfries. Was part of the Blackwood Estate.
I'm doing some research in who lived here etc..one name that has come up is the name Fergusson  1835 and before that James Smith 1797. But last week while in the loft I found an old shoe box lid saying Miss Hamilton on.
Please feel free to get in touch ..David
I'm sure this is your missing link..I would be interested to find out more..

Offline jamesfreid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 03:08 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

Thank you. Here's what I have from my notes. The square brackets are mine.

In the parish register of Keir, in Nithsdale, Dumfries-shire, in 1810, "29 March a son of John Hamilton & Anna Scott in Winsover [Windsover] named John". The land of Windsover or Windsowr Hill, near Auldgirth, comprising about 60 acres, was in the Blackwood estate of William Copland, Esq. of Colliston.

James Reid

Offline Hendo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 04 January 19 01:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

Apologies, I've only just found your postings.  If you're still researching, I would like to ask you about the box lid, inscribed Miss Hamilton that you found in your loft.  Were there any other documents, mementos, etc in the shoe box?  We are still debating the history of the Hamiltons from Keir, Dumfriesshire.

Best regards
Rob

Offline David Roycroft

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 10 January 19 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for reply.. Sorry I haven't researched any further , still hoping to find out more about the history and peoplle who lived and worked on our farm.....All I found so far about miss hamilton was a lid from a shoe box with her writing on, no photo's etc.  We live at Hillend Farm next to Allanton Mill, Windsover.  thanks again David

Offline Hendo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 10 January 19 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

In your initial reply, you also mentioned that the name Fergusson 1835 came up in your research of previous occupants of Windsover Farm.  Are you able to elaborate on this.  The reason I ask is that Jane Hamilton (born Keir in 1802 to John Hamilton & Anna Scott) married William Ferguson c1837 in Peebles & had a daughter Ann c1838 (also in Peebles).  By the time of the 1851 census, Jane & Ann had relocated to Balmaghie, Kirkcudbrightshire where her sister Agnes had married Alexander Chartres.  Jane & Ann emigrated to Victoria, Australia in April, 1870.

I have been unable to find anything about William Ferguson other than his marriage to Jane Hamilton (mentioned in the death certificate of Jane (Hamilton) Ferguson). 

Anticipating your enlightening response.

Rob