Author Topic: Henry's Death Date  (Read 10396 times)

Offline Britt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry's Death Date
« Reply #27 on: Monday 06 July 15 13:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the link to Henry & Emma's grave. I go to Tassie a lot, & have paid my respects at their grave. My own family on both mum & dad's side are from Tassie, back to the first fleet. Cheers Britt

Offline Britt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 06 July 15 14:11 BST (UK) »
Hello, I don't know how far you have got in your research, however I hope that I can help. My son in law is a descendant
of Charles Douglas & Emmaline Wiggins. The story is a very confused one. They married at Sorell in 1864, he states his
name is Charles Douglas. They had four children, 3 if not the 4 were before the wedding. Only 1 child was registered,
Susan's birth was registered when she was 2 days old (11 Nov) by her father Charles Douglas. However her mother
re-registered her on the 3rd Dec. She re-named her Mary Ann Susannah, & stated the father was James Charles Douglas.
(I haven't found the Christening of any of these children). Emmaline leaves Charles shortly after the birth of Ida, & takes
up with Henry Mason. They have 6 children. William b.14 Oct 1865, Christened 15 May 1866 Page 77. Mary Jane b. 17
Nov 1866 (later Christened Robinia Johnston Mason, Christened 21 Aug 1867, page 80), & Robina in the Queen's orphanage).
Nancy b. 19 Apr 1868, Christened 9 Sep 1868 page 84. (I think her name was changed, something Lavender? but don't
have it in my computer), John Christened 6 Aug 1870, page 90. Mary Ann Christened 26 Dec 1872, page 99, name
changed to Emma Matilda. Baby boy, born & died 2 Aug 1873, & Emmaline died from debility 4 days after the birth of
the baby boy. There was a request for the (Douglas & Mason children to be admitted to the Queen's orphanage.
(I haven't got a clue who took over the care of the Douglas children, or who would have paid for their keep, so that they wouldn't be made wards of the state. The Mason children were all admitted to the orphanage, & there is a lot of information regarding them in the Queen's Orphanage records.
Hope that this helps you, & if you discover anything relating to the Douglas children, I'd be ecstatic. Cheers Britt.

Offline Mikkles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 00:25 BST (UK) »
Oh my gosh you guys are amazing that you soo much for that infomation! I actually live 10 minutes away from Sorell and work there! I know the wiggins family are quite big in the Sorell area but never knew I would be related to them! I will have to go and have a look at the baptisms one time but the queens orphanage info is just so helpful, it has actually been on the news lately down here that they had found a grassed area to actually be a burial ground of children from the orphanage but it was all unmarked, I went to school at Ogilvie in Newtown and we used to all sit on the area :/ it would be interesting to know where emmelines brothers and sister all went to, do you guys know if there is a way we can find who looked after them afterwards? I wonder what happened to the father henry Mason why he couldn't look after them? It's just such a sad story :( I will let you know if I find anything else thank you all very much :)