Author Topic: Reynolds of Cloone, Leitrim area  (Read 3741 times)

Offline sarabeth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Reynolds of Cloone, Leitrim area
« on: Saturday 01 February 14 17:50 GMT (UK) »
I am seeking information regarding a Reynolds family of Cloone, Leitrim.  John Reynolds was born in April of 1849 in Cloone, Leitrim.  This location was listed on his US naturalization papers.  He came to the US in 1866.  He settled in Abington, MA.  He lived with my gg grandmother's sister Mary Moran Rourke in Abington for awhile.  I recently found out that my ggg grandmother's maiden name was Reynolds.  She was Bridget Reynolds Moran born in Leitrim around 1795.  She had married James Moran circa 1820 in Leitrim.  They had four daughters, one of which was my gg grandmother.  All four of the daughters came to Massachusetts, USA during the famine.  One of the sisters to my gg grandmother married a Rourke from Drumshanbo. 

Any information regarding the Reynolds family would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Sara C.

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Reynolds of Cloone, Leitrim area
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 February 14 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Rootsireland.ie ( a pay site) has a baptism record for a John Reynolds 1849 in Gortletteragh R.c. parish -which covers the civil parish of Cloone Leitrim- (South Leitrim bordering on Longford). However there is also another townland called Cloone in Rossinver Civil Parish North Leitrim. Searching from 1846 - 1851 gets no hits in Kinlough R.c. parish that covers Rossinver C.P. However without having more information on John Reynolds - this may not be the correct one.
annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline sarabeth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 February 14 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Which is closer to Drumshanbo?
Sara

Offline Jim I

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 February 14 01:02 GMT (UK) »
Gortletteragh R.c. parish -which covers the civil parish of Cloone Leitrim

Not quite right; Gortletteragh does not cover Cloone civil parish it is a part of that civil Parish along with the RC parishes of Cloone and Aughavas.

And as for John Reynolds of Cloone I have transcribed the baptismal records of Cloone RC parish and although there quite a lot of men named John Reynolds, there were none baptised in 1849.  That sounds to me as though the John Reynolds born at Gortletteragh may be the one the OP is looking for.