Author Topic: Great Grandmother - When Did She Die?  (Read 5701 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Great Grandmother - When Did She Die?
« on: Sunday 02 February 14 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I have spent years trying to find the death of my great grandmother Florence Kate Phillips (Nee' Hussey), but without success.

Until last week, it had been the case that the last record of her was my Grandfathers birth in 1923, but consulting the recently released Surrey Electoral Records on Ancestry, that has now changed. The electoral records showed that the family (including Florence Kate) lived at 137, Church Road, Mitcham until 1931 then from 1932 until 1939 at 22, Lavender Road, Mitcham. The registers for Mitcham stop in 1939.

So I now have her alive in 1939, but according to my late grandmother, her mother in law (Florence Kate was long gone by the time she met my grandfather in 1944/45. I had thought that this meant death, but I'm now beginning to wonder.

Are there any later Mitcham electoral records available to the public & if so where?

When did she die? Where? Am I missing something?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

David (Currently stumped!)
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Great Grandmother - When Did She Die?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 February 14 19:51 GMT (UK) »
hi so when was she born?

ok found her

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 February 14 21:24 GMT (UK) »
a possible?? Florence kate Phillips died 1959 chatham kent vol 5b page 295

or  does this address sound familiar Farley house Farley green surrey  she died 5 nov 1961 a widow
probate 20 march 1962 to William james wickens assurance agent the effects of £1334.5s .7d

there are 2 others  in Portsmouth

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 February 14 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Birth 1883 - is that the right one?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 February 14 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Birth 1883 - is that the right one?
that's the one I found I think its correct

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 February 14 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Doran54 & Groom,

Many thanks for your replies, very much appreciated.

Florence Kate Hussey was born 30th July 1883 in Mitcham.

The Farley House address is not a known address.

Her husband, my gt grandfather Robert Sydney Phillips died in 1955 in Surrey. I have yet to obtain this death cert. When finances allow, I shall.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 February 17 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Her husband, my gt grandfather Robert Sydney Phillips died in 1955 in Surrey. I have yet to obtain this death cert. When finances allow, I shall.

So three years later, I have finally been able to afford the above death cert. However, it leaves me no further forward!

Robert Sydney Phillips (1884-1955) aged 71 died at 22, Lavender Avenue, Mitcham on 2nd October 1955. However, it does not show any marital condition for Robert Sydney at all! The death was registered the following day by his middle son, my gt uncle George Ernest Phillips (1916-1979).

So, as noted in my OP they moved to the Lavender Ave address in 1932 and were there until Robert's death in 1955 or at least Robert was! So as I said above no further forward at all! I am completely stumped, I have no clue what happened to Florence Kate Phillips, if anything its getting more murky/mysterious the further/deeper I dig!

Any ideas, clues, suggestions etc would very gratefully received indeed!

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

David (Still Stumped!)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 February 17 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello David

A couple of things occur to me as she was still alive and living in Mitcham in 1939 - could she have been killed during the bombing in the war, or did she leave London to avoid the blitz and die somewhere else. Even so, there should be a death record and I can't see one under Florence Kate!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 February 17 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan,

Many thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.

The killed during the bombing in the war thought had occurred to me before, but I was never able to find anything as to whether she was or wasn't! Leaving London to avoid the blitz is certainly a possibility but as you say there should be a death record somewhere!

This is bugging the heck out of me!

My thanks again.

Kind regards

David