Author Topic: Great Grandmother - When Did She Die?  (Read 5700 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Great Grandmother - When Did She Die?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 13:26 GMT (UK) »
I wonder as well if this is complicated as it looks (if David's grandmother is right) as if Florence died between 1939 and 1944 i.e. during WW2. I still have a feeling about the Pontypridd one - age and name fit exactly. If I were David, (when finances allow) I'd send for that certificate just to eliminate her.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jann & Jan,

Many thanks for replies, much appreciated.

Jann, thanks for that suggestion, certainly worth considering!

Jan, I think that you're right re purchasing the Pontypridd death cert, I shall purchase it when finances allow.

My thanks again.

Kind regards

David

Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 15:27 GMT (UK) »
The Pontypridd register office are brilliant, very helpful. If you email them (I'll check the address now) and give them the quarter you've found (they don't use the same reference numbers as GRO), plus some details such as her husband and last known address, they will look at the record for you.

If nothing matches they will tell you. Similarly they will say that address is close, or something matches but not something else and you can then decide if it's worth the risk. I do usually promise to buy the cert if it matches the info supplied though. 

Due to boundary changes they may not find the entry, but again will tell you and suggest you try neighbouring offices.

email address added: registrar*AT*rhondda-cynon-taff.gov.uk [replace *AT* with @]
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deirdre784,

Many thanks for that, much appreciated, I will certainly look to email them.

Thanks again.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 16:18 GMT (UK) »
That would save buying if it definitely isn't her eg the one who died wasn't married. You have her exact date of birth don't you, so that will help? Don't give her London address though as the chances are that won't be on there if she was living in Wales at the time.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Robert Sydney Phillips (1884-1955) aged 71 died at 22, Lavender Avenue, Mitcham on 2nd October 1955.

There is a burial indexed on deceased online, Borough of Merton, 6 October 1955, of Robert Phillips. No Sydney, but yours is the only Robert Phillips death in Surrey that quarter. And the website says that for Merton generally only the first forename is available when doing a search, but that the full name will be on the register scan.
Unfortunately they no longer give us the name of the cemetery in the free index. The other free info on there is that there is one other person in the grave with Robert.
So, groom's death in Pontypridd in Dec qtr 1944, of Florence Kate Phillips (full name in new death index on GRO website).
On deceased online there is a burial indexed of Florence Phillips, 6 October 1944, Merton. Again, one other person in the grave.
It is a shortish timescale here perhaps, and, of course, the question of why was her death in Pontypridd? But the Robert Phillips burial was four days after your man's death, and I don't think the other Florence Phillips deaths in either the Sep/Dec quarters 1944 look particularly likely candidates for that Mitcham burial.
John

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 19:36 GMT (UK) »
So, groom's death in Pontypridd in Dec qtr 1944, of Florence Kate Phillips (full name in new death index on GRO website).
On deceased online there is a burial indexed of Florence Phillips, 6 October 1944, Merton. Again, one other person in the grave.
It is a shortish timescale here perhaps, and, of course, the question of why was her death in Pontypridd?

That looks good, John - surely too much of a coincidence for it not to be her?

Perhaps they were in Wales on holiday! However, my theory is that they left London to get away from the bombing - between January 1944 and May 1944 there was what was called The Baby Blitz, when the Luftwaffe bombed Southern England. I know my Grandmother left South London at that time and went to stay with relatives in Chester.

£1.50 to check that David - well worth it!

Offline g eli

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 20:15 GMT (UK) »
If finances are tight it might be cheaper to look at the Florence Phillips burial in Merton in 1944,the register scan.
Butler Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire
Targoose Lincolnshire : Targus the rest of England
Sollery:Staffordshire & Nottinghamshire
Saunders,  Phillips: Wiltshire
Oldknow: Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire
Hirons or Hiorns: Friswell: Whitmore: Warwickshire
Tanser: Leicestershire & Warwickshire
Kidger: Buxton: Cramp:Leicestershire
Goodall:Griffin: Ford:Minton:Derbyshire
Cormack:Dunn: Scotland
Taylor:Nottinghamshire
Fletcher Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire Staffordshire

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi John & Jan,

Many thanks indeed for your replies, very much appreciated.

John, many thanks for that, I will definitely check that out!

Jan, looks like that Pontypridd death could be her after all, definitely going to get it now!

I will post results of one or both of the above when I get them!

My thanks to you all again for your help and assistance, it is very much appreciated indeed!

Kind regards

David