Author Topic: Great Grandmother - When Did She Die?  (Read 5705 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Great Grandmother - When Did She Die?
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi g eli,

Just missed your post as we crossed!

Thanks for the suggestion, a very good idea!

My thanks again.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 20:27 GMT (UK) »
My suggestion is to look at the details from Deceased Online first as that is cheaper than getting the certificate, with any luck you will find her in the same grave as Robert!

I forget about using that site, I've just found my great grandfather's grave, so am going to buy credits to find out who the other 3 are who are buried with him.  ;D

ADDED: Brilliant - my great grandfather is buried with both his parents and a brother. Thanks John!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,
I have been following this thread and have had "a feeling in my water" as they say about the Pontypridd death for Florence ever since Jan posted it.   I would certainly download the details from Deceased Online that John found as it is far cheaper than a cert - and you get an answer instantly  :D

Jan, great news about finding your great grandfather's grave.  I haven't searched Deceased Online for a while so I'm off for a mooch later.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Update!

I went ahead and registered & paid for some vouchers and got the details as I couldn't wait, I just had to know! ;D

The result is that both Robert & Florence are buried in the same grave in London Road Cemetery, Mitcham (just around the corner from Lavender Avenue!)

But the burial register entry shows the following:

Name: Florence Kate Phillips
Date of Death: Oct 2nd 1944
Place where death occurred: Hospital Anne(s), Mountain Ash, Wales.
Place from where body was brought: 22 Lavender Avenue, Mitcham.

Result!!

I cannot thank you all enough, this one has bugged me for years, although I still have to work out why exactly they were in Wales, although I think that Jan's theory could well be right.

I confess I felt slightly emotional as I read the burial register entry!

My thanks to you all again, finally solving this one means a lot to me.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 21:11 GMT (UK) »
That is really good David - I was sure that Wales death was her! It's lovely to be able to solve that one.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jool,

Thanks for that, have done just that & downloaded the burial entry, as posted above.

Thanks again.

Kind regards

David

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan,

That is really good David - I was sure that Wales death was her! It's lovely to be able to solve that one.

You're not wrong, as I alluded to before its bugged me for years, somewhere between 15 & 20 years to be precise! It does feel good to finally break this particular brick wall! ;D

Kind regards

David

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 21:20 GMT (UK) »
David, I'm so pleased to hear you have finally got your answer, and I can understand you feeling a little emotional about it. 

Great work Jan and John  ;D
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Just to add that if and when you do get the death certificate, it costs £10 from Pontypridd registration office (if indeed it is there if the death was in Mountain Ash), plus you have to post them a cheque. And it's a typed version, not an image of the register. Cheaper from the GRO.

Saying that, i do buy from the local offices if they've helped me (as many have) find an elusive death.

Good luck 😀
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....