Author Topic: Great Grandmother - When Did She Die?  (Read 5651 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Great Grandmother - When Did She Die?
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 21:27 GMT (UK) »
David, I'm so pleased to hear you have finally got your answer, and I can understand you feeling a little emotional about it. 

Great work Jan and John  ;D

Thanks Jool. I knew it was her - I had a strong feeling. Perhaps Florence decided it was time that she was found.  ;D ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Having let the dust settle and all that, have been having a think & I reckon I've tumbled to why they were in Wales.

Mountain Ash where Florence Kate died is in Glamorganshire. Robert & Florence's son (My Grandfather) John Phillips was by this time an instructor in the RAF and was being posted to various places around the UK & in October 1944 he was at RAF St Athan, which is also in Glamorganshire! They are a little distance apart, Mountain Ash being a little bit north of St Athan.

So perhaps they were visiting/meeting up with my grandfather, perhaps combining it with a holiday at the same time? This I feel fits the known facts.

My thanks again for all assistance.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 00:25 GMT (UK) »
The death certificate if/when you send for it may give a few more clues.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 02:28 GMT (UK) »
An old thread now revived, great work Groom & others.

Enjoyed reading through the thread i.e. was curious & found this but hope it's not too upsetting for David!

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jle/

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 08:59 GMT (UK) »
That's interesting Annie, what a pity that they have let it get like that, even more of a pity that people have thought it necessary to scrawl graffiti everywhere.

I was just thinking, if she died there on the 2nd October, and was buried in Mitcham on the 6th, it didn't take long for them to return her body did it? Can't have been easy to arrange given it was war time.

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan & Annie,

Jan, yep i agree that there may be some clues on the death cert, which I intend to order asap!

Annie, thanks for the link, I had already looked about to see what I could find out about the hospital & was aware that it had closed (about 2011 I think?) & am not at all surprised to see the condition of it now. I don't understand why people vandalise & spray graffiti everywhere, makes no sense to me at all!

Just as a side note, Florence & Robert both died on the 2nd Oct & were both buried on the 6th Oct, the difference being that the burials were 11 years apart! Spooky or what, or just coincidence!

Thanks again.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 27 March 17 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Just a quick update to say that I have today ordered my gt grandmother Florence Kate Phillips death cert. It is due to be dispatched next Monday (3rd April). I will update further when I receive the certificate, hopefully next week!

Kind regards

David

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 03 April 17 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have today received my gt grandmother Florence Kate Phillips death cert.

It gives the following details:

Place where death occurred: Hospital Anne(s), Mountain Ash, Wales.

The place where she died was actually Hospital Annex, Mountain Ash, Wales.

Cause of death given as:

a.) Exhaustion
b.) Carcinoma of Breast (Breast Cancer)

The death was registered the day that she died (2nd Oct 1944) by my gt grandfather Robert Sydney Phillips. The home address in Mitcham, Surrey matches as well.

When reading the death cert, I was struck by the similarities that my grandfather & I share, (having lost my own late mother to breast cancer 16 years ago.) My gt grandmother and my mother weren't to dissimilar in age (61 and 55 respectively) & my grandfather & I both approaching birthdays when our mothers passed.

I cannot help but wonder if realising that maybe she didn't have long that she wanted to see her youngest child (my grandfather) one last time before she passed away. My grandfather having just been posted to Glamorganshire, South Wales himself (same county in which Mountain Ash is as well). Whether they did manage to see each other or not I guess I'll never know. This scenario is the only one as far as I can see that fits the facts.

My thanks to all that helped with this, your help is very much appreciated indeed. A 15 to 20 year mystery finally resolved!!

Kind regards

David

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 03 April 17 22:07 BST (UK) »
I'm so glad that we solved that mystery and that my gut instinct told me that was her. You wouldn't really have expected to find her in Wales would you?

Sounds as if she had been suffering for some time if exhaustion was on the certificate, however, as the home address was given as Mitcham, they probably weren't living in Wales or I would have thought that address would have been on the certificate. So you could well be right that they were visiting their son, or perhaps had just gone there for a break to get away from London and the bombing.

Lovely to have been able to help solve that mystery.