Author Topic: Buckham H Hossack Born Orkney Married 27/7/1875 Edinburgh to Sibla Monteith  (Read 13506 times)

Offline davy.campbell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello i recently bough a Communion Table from a very old church in Fife, near Torryburn, Scotland. There was a brass plaque stating that in had been give in memory of Sibla Hossack. I wanted to see in any relatives wanted it back... So far, thanks to a Roots member this is what i have found out. Seemingly she was born in Calcutta in 1854, and married Buckham H. Hossack from Orkney in Edinburgh in July 1875.  Her maiden name was Monteith and her father was Duncan Monteith, Mother Sibla Mcarthur. She boarded for a while in 1871 in Brighton Sussex, i have been told she had some siblings also born in Calcutta...Wonder if anyone up in Orkney can help with the name Hossack, i believe he was 19 years younger than Sibla. Am pretty new to this Site and still trying to work things out!,,maybe someone can tell me also how to reply to people through personal messaging!..Many thanks...I Think the person who donated the Table may have been a minister, i will check and post his name shortly.

Scotland General post -
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=676198.0

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Buckham H Hossack Born Orkney Married 27/7/1875 Edinburgh to Sibla Monteith
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 February 14 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Davy

A guide here re PMs www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

A short cut I often use is simply when I have on screen someone's post, just click on their user name, this will bring up their personal profile. On the l/h side you will see 'Send PM'. Click on that to take you through to direct messaging screen.

If you are still researching the Hossack name etc., their is a Will & Testament entry on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk showing:

Buckham Hugh Hossack, 25 Feb 1902. Esq of Craigiefield, Parish of St Ola died 4 Jan 1902. Testate, Confirmation. Kirwall (Orkney) Sheriff Court ref. SC11/41/5

A further entry in 1925 for a Hugh Charles Buckham Hossack. Likely connected.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 February 14 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Davy...I have edited this post. Kept your post tab open...and the posted a response for someone else  :P

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Skyran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 February 14 23:16 GMT (UK) »
B H Hossack was born on the island of Stronsay, Orkney in 1835 the son of Hugh Hossack and Betsy Davidson.  He had 3 brothers Robert B 1826, Charles B 1828 and John B 1830.  There was also another Buckham born in 1833 who must have died as an infant.  By the time he was 5 he was living at East Road, Kirkwall with his mother, Charles and John.  No mention of his father or his brother Robert.  He was a teacher in Edinburgh when he married Sibbla Monteith and they must have moved to Orkney not long after as they are in the 1891 and 1901 census at the house which he built, Craigiefield, on the outskirts of Kirkwall.  He was the author of "Kirkwall in the Orkneys" which is available to read online at http://archive.org/stream/kirkwallinorkne00hossgoog#page/n10/mode/2up He died 4.1.1902 at Craigiefield not long after the book was published and is buried in the St Magnus Cathedral graveyard.  I don't think the couple had any family and the witness on his death certificate was his cousin William B H Davidson who lived at Viewforth, Kirkwall.  He was a Justice of the Peace, a member of Orkney County Council and I believe he is commemorated in a stained glass window in St Magnus Cathedral.  I hope this is of some help.

Offline Skyran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 February 14 23:26 GMT (UK) »
I forgot to add - on Buckham and Sibbla's marriage certificate,  Sibbla's parents are given as Duncan Monteith, Retired Calcutta Merchant and Margaret Monteith maiden surname Paul.

Offline saddles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 February 14 23:38 GMT (UK) »
The 2005 UK Electoral Rolls has no Hossack recorded for the Orkney Isles, there are many on the mainland and some on the Isle of Lewis.
Townson - Cartmel                      O'Malley - Askeaton, Ireland
Sadler - Dymock & Salford           Tomlinson - St Peters, Leeds
Wilkinson - Salford                      Chant - Sherbourne, Dorset
Garner - Pendleton

Offline davy.campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 February 14 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi concerning the communion table in memory of Sibla Rebecca Hossack. The plaque was given by William Pitcairn Craig, for many years her Minister and Friend. Thanks.

Offline Skyran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 February 14 14:39 GMT (UK) »
William Pitcairn Craig was minister of the second charge in St Magnus Cathedral, Kirkwall from 1905 to 1918.  He was then minister of Torryburn & Crombie from 1918.  There's a bit about him here: http://histfam.familysearch.org/getperson.php?personID=I53779&tree=Fasti 
and a list of the cathedral ministers here: http://sites.scran.ac.uk/stmagnus/SMC228.htm

Offline davy.campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 February 14 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks again, i have been in contact with the orkney museum and am awaiting a reply. Best wishes David.