Author Topic: 2/7th Liverpool Kings Regiment  (Read 3124 times)

Offline Medwar58

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
2/7th Liverpool Kings Regiment
« on: Monday 03 February 14 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Looking for anyone interested in gathering photos and detailed info on members of the Bn for the centenary. Got an interest through my Great Uncle who won a DCM with them around Reincourt 1917.

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 2/7th Liverpool Kings Regiment
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 February 14 00:26 GMT (UK) »

Hello, my father was in  the 2/7th K.L
   He had two numbers, one being his  reserve  number  I believe 8278, and the other 269558 .
   He was from Manchester and actually was supposed to join the colours on Sept 2nd 1916.
  However his mother died so there may have been a delay.

He was taken prisoner in 1917, which probably saved his life!!! and came home in early 1919.

I have some photographs of him in uniform , and some whist a prisoner( don`t know how he got those done but there is a stamp on the back "Gefanganemagers "  gefanganem means prisoner) and a very long roll with the regiment on. Taken at Pirbright by H.R.Gwyer Gibbs of Cooper`s Hill adjoining the guards` camp.It is in a  cardboard tube and was posted to his family.
 The date is April 2nd it- must be April 1916 as he was in France April 1917 so perhaps he was doing some reserve training. Hope this is of some use  . Viktoria. 

Offline Stephen Nulty

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 February 14 12:32 GMT (UK) »
2/7 KLR was a Second Line Battalion, raise in October 1914 at Bootle. I believe the number 8278 was issued around October 1916.

The Battalion landed in France in February 1917.

They were subject to the Territorial Force renumbering of March 1917, which is when Wm Addy was allocated his new number of 269558

Researching the men of Prescot, Lancashire, who fell in the Great War

Please visit my website at www.prescot-rollofhonour.info

Offline Stephen Nulty

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 February 14 19:55 GMT (UK) »
A few comments on GWF about him too
Researching the men of Prescot, Lancashire, who fell in the Great War

Please visit my website at www.prescot-rollofhonour.info

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 February 14 00:23 GMT (UK) »
 I have Army Form W.3195 dated 30th August 1916 informing my father that he should  rejoin for service  at Manchester Town Hall  not later than eleven O`clock.on 2nd September 1916

It is the Notice Paper sent to each man who had been attested and transferred  to the Army Reserve under the provisions of the Royal Warrant .of 20th october 1915.
 (That`s a quote from the form)
 It also says the Notice Paper  should be despatched  so that it will reach the addressee  14 clear days before he is required to present himself at the appointed place .Dad was given only two days .
His mother died  on 5th Setember 1916, so whether there was some leeway given or not I don`t know.
 The first document I have with the number 8278 is the one Army Form B104---83 saying my father was missing, dated 4th June 1917 but the engagement was on 7th may 1917.
 The address is Territorial Force Record Office at Preston.
 Viktoria.

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 February 14 00:48 GMT (UK) »
Sounds like he attested under the Derby Scheme - and called up in September.  Quite late - it wasn't his 18th birthday by any chance?
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 February 14 01:16 GMT (UK) »
 He was 19 on 24th September 1916- Born 1897.

His Dad was not working,  injured when one of the huge horses  of the L&Y  Railway  was "difficult" .His Mum was very ill, bedridden for quite a while and there were two younger siblings. Yet I don`t think any of that would bring a tear to The Army`s eye! He would be the only wage earner at the time.  Grandad may have had some sick pay in whatever form that existed then ,I don`t thnk he`d get full wages.
                                                   Viktoria

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 February 14 23:05 GMT (UK) »
 Just looked again at Army FormW3195 and he was Group 1, which is right for a man born  1897.

Thank you for that infomation(Derby Scheme). Lord Derby recruited specially for the Kings Livepool , as I`ve just found out.  Viktoria

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 February 14 12:51 GMT (UK) »
My Grandad  Samuel Chapman 265015 Joined the Territorial Army of the Kings Liverpool Regiment on 01st April 1908 at Bootle was a Bayonet Instructor with the 2/7th Battalion and was a Corporal  from Orrell when he was awarded the the Military Medal 11/01/1918 Gazette issue 30476 page 833 presume for action at Paschendaele in Nov 1917 and on being discharged in 1919 as C Q M S he transferred to The Manchester Regiment. Am trying to find details of War service of his brothers with the Kings . i.e. Joseph and Harry Chapman
CHAPMAN ROBINSON McKAY O'MALLEY