Author Topic: Hunter of Polmood  (Read 5413 times)

Offline zapcon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hunter of Polmood
« on: Tuesday 04 February 14 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Does anybody have any recent History of them?
Thankyou
David

Offline mrs a

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hunter of Polmood
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 February 14 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Is this Polmwood, Tweedsmuir?
Fawcett, Currie, Hutton, Bauchope, Rankine, Main,Gilmour,Campbell,Tervit,Walker,Frame,Rooney, Finnie,Rea,Noble,Alexander
West Lothian, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire, Fife,Midlothian

Offline zapcon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 February 14 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Yes I believe so.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 February 14 07:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,

Found this -

Thomas Hunter of Polmood, who died 20th March 1765, had executed a disposition and deed of entail on the 28th of the previous January, in favour of Alexander Hunter, merchant in Edinburgh, who, though bearing the same name, was no relation. As this deed was executed on deathbed, it was liable to reduction, if an heir could be found. Thomas Hunter, the last possessor of the estate, was descended from a natural son of Robert Hunter of Polmood, who died in 1689. The estate had been destined to the bastard and the heirs of his body, with a special declaration that, in the event of failure, it should return to the granter, his nearest heirs male, and assignees whatsoever. On the death of Thomas Hunter two persons came forward, each claiming to be the heir to the estate, one an old man called Adam Hunter, and the other a man of the name of Taylor, who afterwards withdrew his claim. After nearly fifty years’ litigation, both the court of session and the House of Lords, to which the case had been appealed, decided that Adam Hunter had not established his pedigree. An ancient prediction that “The Hunters of Polmood were never to prosper,” seems in this case to have been verified. Mr. Alexander Hunter died at Edinburgh, 22d January 1786, and was succeeded by his nephew, Walter Hunter, Esq. of Polmood and Crailing, whose eldest daughter, Elizabeth, the wife of the eighteenth Lord Forbes, came into possession of Polmood
http://www.electricscotland.com/history/nation/hunter.htm

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline StanhopeWilly

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 May 17 01:51 BST (UK) »
My 5th great-grandfather moved from Glasgow to Londonderry around 1710 and my 3rd great-grandfather moved from Londonderry to North Carolina around 1771.  My 3rd g-grandfather named a son Henry Stanhope Hunter and both he and his brother had several grandchildren with Stanhope as a middle name or, in one case, as a forename.  Stanhope is the name of the burn (creek) that served as the northern edge of Polmood and also a small settlement where the burn flows into the River Tweed.  This, added to the fact that we are haplogroup I-L126 whereas the Hunterston Hunters are haplogroup R-M, leads me to believe we are descended from the Polmood Hunters.  The XVII century was a hard time to be a resident of the Upper Tweed.  The British crown made a serious effort to empty the Scottish border area to increase commerce and other interactions between England and Scotland.  In addition to that, from 1660 to 1688 Covenanters were persecuted for their refusal to participate in the Episcopalian Church.  There were many Covenanters in the upper Tweed and Hunters were prominent in that movement.  My 3rd g-grandfather became an ordained Presbyterian minister and his brothers were elders in their churches.  The Hunters of Polmood didn't disappear; they moved out of the neighborhood.