Author Topic: HOLLOWAY brothers - Joseph and Robert Walker, Victoria 1850s  (Read 2882 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
HOLLOWAY brothers - Joseph and Robert Walker, Victoria 1850s
« on: Wednesday 05 February 14 06:49 GMT (UK) »
I'm interested in these brothers who were born in Hampshire (or West Sussex) and are memorialised at Warblington, Hampshire, parents Joseph and Mary HOLLOWAY.  I think they were the only ones from the family to come to Australia and, because I know they died in Victoria, I assume that's where they landed.

I cannot see death registrations for either of them, although they died in Victoria - perhaps there's inquest documentation, although a newspaper report re Joseph suggests the he died after 'an illness of some duration'.  I cannot be sure of their immigration and probably won't be able to be definitive as I would think they would have been unassisted - and we all know how easy it is to find those records NOT!  I can't find them in any census in England to have some idea of when they may have left.
There is a Robert HOLLOWAY arriving on the Mount Stewart Elphinstone, 24 April, 1851
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/4777484

Joseph HOLLOWAY, b abt 1814
Died: 21 February 1854 (from the MI, the probate record and the newspaper)
The MI says he died in Bendigo, other documents use the older name of Sandhurst.
There is a PROV probate record, which is not very helpful, records his occupation as 'gentleman', and his abode as Sandhurst and he died intestate, without leaving any next of kin 'in this colony'. (This record seems to have a petition for a William GASKIN included - not sure if this has any significance  :-\)
TROVE has a couple of mentions for him.
One is a fairly ordinary probate notice asking any creditors to come forward.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/4800563

The other shows that he borrowed money - 2000pounds - and died owing about 1300pounds which was not recovered, leaving his guarantor owing the debt.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/4800346
A bit of a shyster was Joseph I think.  ;D

Robert Walker HOLLOWAY b abt 1815
Died: 11 December, 1853 (from MI and newspaper) at Mr Bowen's boarding house, Mornington Place, (I assume in Melbourne)(from newspaper)
Death Notice: 12 Dec 1853 
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/4800585

Cheers, Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HOLLOWAY brothers - Joseph and Robert Walker, Victoria 1850s
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 February 14 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Good grief - I have already looked at these brothers.  :-[
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=668007.msg5133419#msg5133419

On that thread is the following from
Bendigo Gazette Feb 23 1854

Mr Joseph Holloway who used to visit the gullies for the purpose
of buying gold from the diggers, was stuck up one evening on
Ironbark Hill, but being on horseback he got away, and was fired
at twice as he galloped off, though fortunately without effect

Holloway. On the 21st February  1854  at the Government  Camp Sandhurst, Bendigo, after a lingering illness, Joseph the second and last surviving son of the late Joseph Holloway Esq, of East  Leigh  Havant, in the 41st year of his age . About two months earlier, his brother, R. W. Holloway Esq. died at Melbourne  and from the instant he received the melancholy tidings, he may be really said never to have held up his head. Mr Holloway was amongst the earliestt of the colonists who made the over land journey from Sydney to Victoria, and the writer of these  lines, having been connected with him for many years  and made many long and trying journeys with him, can testify to his goodness of heart, his generosity and uniformly kind and honorable conduct, and his numerous friends – all who knew him intimately  _ will deeply deplore his loss. His remains were followed to the grave by the Resident Government Commissioner, the Police Magistrate, all the Camp officers and a few private friends

A bit of a different view of him than the one outlined in the Court case above.

Judith                     
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 February 14 22:33 GMT (UK) »
hi Judith,

With civil registration just in its infancy, it would be easy for many events to slip by without record.

I wondered whether you had been in touch with the Cemeteries Trust at Bendigo.

Although Joseph does not show on the database, it is quite possible there is a record of his interment.

This note quoted from the website may be of interest-

This search page searches through the Cemeteries within the Trust including Axedale Cemetery, Bendigo Cemetery, Eaglehawk Cemetery, Kangaroo Flat Cemetery, Neangar Memorial Park Crematorium and White Hills Cemetery.
A minimal fee may be applicable for resources used as a result of research enquires. Fee details are shown when a database search has been completed, or you may wish to contact our administration office on (03) 5446 1566.

Please note: Not all records held by the Trust are recorded on this database. Please contact our administration office if your search does not provide a result.

http://www.bencemtrust.com.au/search.asp

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 February 14 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Sue.

I'll get in touch with Bendigo cemetery and have a look; the newspaper article quoted suggests that Joseph was buried at Bendigo.  Robert may have been buried in Melbourne.  They are not my direct line but I was looking at some burials in Warblington UK and found the MIs which gave the places of death of these brothers as 'Bondigo', and Melbourne so thought I'd try and find them. 

Cheers, Judith

Offline emsworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 August 18 16:59 BST (UK) »
Hi
I think we were in touch some years ago.I cannot see when your entry was posted. If it was fairly recent I may have more information on the brothers gathered from helpful people in Australia. They were involved in the Gold Rush. If you want any more please let me know.

Yours

StephenHolloway
holloway gregory burd mccubbin

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 06:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Stephen

Yes we have been in conversation before on this thread and this one:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=668007.msg5216827#msg5216827

As I said in that thread my interest in HOLLOWAY was through the marriage of my 4G-aunt, Martha Ann MIDLANE to Gawen HOLLOWAY.  The marriage (1802, Brockhampton Chapel) only lasted 6 years as Martha died (reputedly from smallpox) in 1808. As she is not my direct line I haven't pursued the HOLLOWAYs but, as I said above, I was intrigued when visiting Warblington to see the MIs for Joseph and Robert HOLLOWAY, with the mention of "Bendigo".

Judith

Offline emsworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 14:32 BST (UK) »
For the  Holloway reputation I enclose  self explanatory. obit. I think they were collecting gold from the diggers and taking it to the Bank at Sandhurst. but died before making any money.

Their father was a well to do farmer and as the younger sons they probably emigrated in the hope of making a fortune!

I am a bit confused none of the posts seems to have a date year, and is "Jazz" involved somewhere? 

Joseph Holloway Death Notice in Australia

Joseph Holloway. On the 21st February  1854  at the Government  Camp Sandhurst, Bendigo, after a lingering illness, Joseph the second and last surviving son of the late Joseph Holloway Esq, of East  Leigh  Havant, in the 41st year of his age . About two months earlier, his brother, R. W. Holloway Esq. died at Melbourne  and from the instant he received the melancholy tidings, he may be really said never to have held up his head. Mr Holloway was amongst the earliest of the colonists who made the over land journey from   Sydney to Victoria, and the writer of these lines, having been connected with him for many years  and made many long and trying journeys with him, can testify to his goodness of heart, his generosity and uniformly kind and honorable conduct, and his numerous friends – all who knew him intimately  _ will deeply deplore his loss. His remains were followed to the grave by the Resident Government Commissioner, the Police Magistrate, all the Camp officers and a few private friends                         .Bendigo Gazette Feb 23 1854
holloway gregory burd mccubbin