Author Topic: COOKE / BERGH / PROUDFOOT FAMILY  (Read 5302 times)

Offline Carole58

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COOKE / BERGH / PROUDFOOT FAMILY
« on: Wednesday 05 February 14 12:05 GMT (UK) »
I have recently visited Ireland and now really interested to find out more about my irish heritage.  I believe my great-grandfather Edward Cooke (born in Ireland about 1849/50) married Annie Adeline Bergh (born around 1849/50 in Ireland). They decided to come to Cape Town (about 1887) and brought their 4 children - Robert, Jack, May & Blanche - Edward, my grandfather was born in May of 1888 in Cape Town.  Both great-grandparents died in South Africa  - Edward on 20/6/1892 age 42 and Annie on 12/9/1925 age 76.  Edward started a factory in Paarl where he made boots.

I have come across information on Blanche (one of the children)  - her full name was Blanche Jane Proudfoot Cooke who married a Mr Ingram.   

I also came across information on a Robert Cooke (born 16/10/1860 in Ireland - died 23/8/1947 Barrydale)  who married Maryanne Proudfoot and came to South Africa also around 1880  -  he was a farmer and ended up in Barrydale where the Cooke family still farm today.  I think that my great-grandfather Edward and Robert were brothers.  How I fit in  -  I was born Carole Cooke my dad was Aubrey Edward Proudfoot Cooke and his dad was Edward Long Cooke born to Edward and Annie Cooke (my great-grandparents)

I would love to know when they arrived and where my grandfather was born in Ireland - the county??  Really looking forward to hearing from anyone who has info.  would be much appreciated.
thanks so much 
Carole Mansfield (nee Cooke)

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: COOKE / BERGH / PROUDFOOT FAMILY
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 February 14 18:29 GMT (UK) »
I have managed to find the following settlers - both of which have the name Proudfoot Cooke, but their names are different to those given by yourself.  Possibly they are relatives.  If you look on familysearch, Africa, Natal marriages there is a marriage certificate for a Blance Proudfoot Cook who married a Roston Edgar Atwell in Durban on 6 June 1935.

On eggsa.org there is a tombstone for Edward Cooke and Annie Adeline BERCH (not Berg).  There is also a memorial for Edward Long Cooke (25/5/1888-3/7/1961) who is buried with Doris Eliza Cooke (21/2/1899-17/5/1970) as well as a Gerald Montgomery Tomkinson (11/2/1946-20/9/1968).

If you google Blanche Jane Proudfoot Cooke she appears in a number of family trees on the internet.

Hope all this helps!
Cooke or Proudfoot, Ellen
Last Name:   Cooke (nee Proudfoot)
First Name:   Ellen
Date of Birth:   1828
Place of Birth:   Dublin, Ireland
Parents – Father:   George Proudfoot
Parents – Mother:   Ellen
Name of Spouse:   Charles Cooke
Marriage Date:
Marriage Place:
Date of Death:   17 May 1856 age 28
Place of Death:  Swellendam, Cape 
Notes:   DN 3824/1856.  Children:
Charles
Edward
George
Ann Jane
James

Cooke, Charles
Last Name: Cooke
First Name: Charles
Date of Birth: 1816
Place of Birth: Dublin, Ireland
Parents – Father: Charles Cooke
Parents – Mother:
Name of Spouse: 1) name unknown 2) Ann Proudfoot, b. 1830 Ireland to George Proudfoot & Ellen; she d.21 May 1868 age 38.
Marriage Date:
Marriage Place:
Date of Death: 31 Dec 1863 age 46y 11m
Place of Death: Cape Town, Cape
Notes: DN 960/1864, 4442/1868. Children:
Charles (by 1st wife)
Edward (by 1st wife)
George (by 1st wife)
Anne (by 1st wife)
Ellen (by present wife)
Robert (by present wife)
William (by present wife)
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Carole58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 February 14 08:29 GMT (UK) »
thanks so much for the information  -  yes i also noticed the Berch on the tombstone  -  this is all so confusing  -  just wish i had their dates of birth  -  will keep on trying
thanks again
carole

Offline vdwestas

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 August 15 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I have history on the Cooke's.  Charles Cooke, b 1816 in UK, married Eleanore Proudfoot (Ellen) in 1847 in Dublin, Ireland.  They immigrated to South Africa. They had the following kids: Charles George(1848) , Edward (1850), George Benjamin (1852), Anne Jane (1854)and James Coupre (1856). Ellen died in 1856 and Charles married her sister, Anne and they had the follwing kids: Eleanore (1858), Robert (1860) & William (1862). Charles died on 31Dec 1863. He was a general dealer. My great-great grandfather was George Benjamin Cooke.  Edward Cooke (1850) married Annie Adeline Bergh. He died 1892 and she died 1925. Edward and Annie Adeline son, Edward Long, was born in 1888. Edward was a bootmaker in Paarl. Hope this help you?

Offline Carole58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 March 16 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello vdwestas
sorry I am only  replying now  -  thanks so much for the info  -  it was my daughter who picked up that you replied to my message.  You say that your great great grandfather was George Benjamin Cooke  -  mine was Edward Cooke and Edward Long Cooke born 1888 was my grandfather  and obviously his son my Dad.   would love to know more if you get this message  - I will leave my full name and contact details  -  I really hope you get this so that we can chat further  -  would love to hear from you
kind regards
Carole Mansfield
Cape Town
(*)

Hi there

I have history on the Cooke's.  Charles Cooke, b 1816 in UK, married Eleanore Proudfoot (Ellen) in 1847 in Dublin, Ireland.  They immigrated to South Africa. They had the following kids: Charles George(1848) , Edward (1850), George Benjamin (1852), Anne Jane (1854)and James Coupre (1856). Ellen died in 1856 and Charles married her sister, Anne and they had the follwing kids: Eleanore (1858), Robert (1860) & William (1862). Charles died on 31Dec 1863. He was a general dealer. My great-great grandfather was George Benjamin Cooke.  Edward Cooke (1850) married Annie Adeline Bergh. He died 1892 and she died 1925. Edward and Annie Adeline son, Edward Long, was born in 1888. Edward was a bootmaker in Paarl. Hope this help you?

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 March 16 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole58 have a look at www.irishgenealogy.ie which has several records for the family surnames you mention.
There is a marriage for Charles Cooke & Ellen Proudfoot in Parish of St George Church of Ireland Dublin 30th August 1847. Addresses for both given 101 Britain Street Dublin.
Fathers: Edward Cooke & George Proudfoot. Witnesses George West & John Joyce :)

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 March 16 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Carole58 There is a Passenger Record for a Mr & Mrs Cooke Departing England Arriving 13th Feb 1886 in Port Natal Ship name DANUBE - no further detail on record. :)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 March 16 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Here is the Death Notice for Ellen Cooke, nee Proudfoot died 1856

DEPOT     KAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MOOC                                                                 
TYPE      LEERS                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 6/9/74                                                               
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 3824                                                                 
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          COOKE, ELLEN. (NEE PROUDFOOT). DEATH NOTICE.                         
STARTING  1856                                                                 
ENDING    1856             

Image of Death Notice here:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSQF-CS92-N?mode=g&i=1858&cat=331262
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)