Author Topic: Looking for death records for John Ferries and Duncan McKenzie  (Read 19559 times)

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for death records for John Ferries and Duncan McKenzie
« on: Thursday 06 February 14 21:06 GMT (UK) »
I have been searching for a while for the death records of two of my great, great, great grandfathers.  John Ferries born I think 3rd November 1822 Presbyterian Dromara Down, Ireland. I think he died in May 1874 in Greenock, Renfrewshire, Scotland following a death announcement in the Greenock Telegraph. Announcements states John Ferries father of John Ferries who was my great, great grandfather who was born also born  in Greenock. I have been unable to find any record of him on the 1871 census but his last known address was 1 Buccleugh Street Greenock. He was a shoemaker.  I am also looking for my my great, great, great grandfather Duncan McKenzie who was father of Isabella Mckenzie (wife of John Ferries Junior). He was born on 22nd February 1833 in Paisley Renfrewshire. His father was also Duncan McKenzie and his mother Margaret Brunton. I believe he died about 1860 aged only 27. He is not on the 1861 census and his wife (Ellen Dunning) has remarried and is living with her new husband John Eadie on the 1861 census. So h :-\e probably died about 1859-1860. Does anyone know of any other source other than Scotland's People that I can use to locate this information. Scotland's People is a brilliant resource and I have been able to find out very detailed information about my ancestors from them. However, there are gaps in the records and I don't know where to go to continue my research.
Julie
Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for death records for John Ferries and Duncan McKenzie
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 February 14 22:58 GMT (UK) »
1874   FERRES   JOHN    M   85   GREENOCK OLD OR WEST   /RENFREW   564/03 0468

Looks like he did die in 1874 you can download his death registration from Scotland's People http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

1860   MCKENZIE   DUNCAN           M       GREENOCK NEW OR MIDDLE   /RENFREW   564/01 0176      
1861   MCKENZIE   DUNCAN   MCDOUGALL       M   18   GREENOCK OLD OR WEST   /RENFREW   564/03 0240   

Not sure which one it might be so here are both entries.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 February 14 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Don,
Thanks for your reply. I am still unable to find the records. Are you able to search by reference number? Previously, when I searched it came up with 8 names none with surname Ferries all surname variants and none were him.Could you please tell me what to put in the search? Is it best to search by exact name. The record you gave for John Ferries states Male 85 when in actual fact he would be around 52. The records for Duncan McKenzie don't give an age. It is very frustrating trying to find these records and wasting money buying credits in the process when they don't lead to anything.
Thanks for your help.
Julie
Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 February 14 16:45 GMT (UK) »
I am still unable to find any death records for the above. I don't know what I am doing wrong but I found out you can put the reference number but still nothing. Can anyone please tell me exactly what to put in to the search or have any suggestions  about where else to look.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 February 14 17:59 GMT (UK) »
In a nutshell, you go to Scotland's People, select statutory deaths, you fill in the surname, then the given name and the year.  You click on "do the search" then once it propagates you pay the £7 for 30 credits then you click on "view 1 credit" than you select the individual you you want and open the one you want which will cost you 5 more credits.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 February 14 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello Genie24,
     Don't put anything in Age Range or Birth Year & 2 matches come up. (Probably the 2 DonM found). I couldn't find them either when I put approx. Birth year &/or Age Range in. Hope this helps.
     DonM, I don't think Genie24 was asking how to use SP website but how to find one particular person.
               Regards,     Dod.
"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 February 14 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to both of you. I left out the dates and tried to view the images. No luck so had to change my viewing options to download. After all of that - both are the wrong people so back to the drawing board I'm afraid. Will keep looking though. I think Scotland's people do not have the records.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 February 14 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie

Is this the death notice you saw?:

John Ferris, father of John, died at Greenock Infirmary in May 1874. (Greenock Telegraph
26.5.1874)
www.inverclyde.gov.uk/business-and-trade/business-development/business-gateway/

I think you may have now viewed this entry? What did it say? What was the place of death?

There is no mention of an address there. How have you connected this to your John? Wondering if this death is unconnected to your John Snr....

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 February 14 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Julie, is this the family in 1861:

John Ferries 41 shoemaker b. Ireland
Mary Ferries 31
Rebecca Ferries 15...too early a marriage (1864) to confirm a death for father https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYWN-R98
John Ferries 6
Willm Ferries 4
James Ferries 2

Address: 1 Buccleugh St, Greenock

Last child maybe 1866? https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQ7F-TR4 which fits with a possible census entry for mother Mary with daughter Mary in 1881, both showing as boarders at 1 St Andrew Square, Greenock.

1871, cannot see anything so far - wonder how they have been indexed  :-\

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk