Author Topic: Looking for death records for John Ferries and Duncan McKenzie  (Read 19518 times)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for death records for John Ferries and Duncan McKenzie
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Julie, I think all your suggestions are likely in terms of how you are looking at possible connected people. Given names and location/addresses, hopefully you can make further inroads via death certs maybe?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica and all who responded to my posts almost a year ago. You may recall I was trying to find the deaths of two of my great x 3 grandfathers. I thought I would update you on what has happened since then.
Whist researching, I quite literally stumbled upon other possible members of the family living in the same street - Market Street, Greenock in numbers 24 and 26. I have recently returned to this part of my tree and hope to find more.
Monica, you may recall you found a death registration which may have been my great x 3 grandmother Ellen Connell (nee Dunning). She was staying with her daughter and son-in law on the 1901 and 1911 census so I assumed she had moved from Scotland to live there permanently but I couldn't find a death record. The record was for Helen Connell and the age was near enough but I didn't want to risk buying the certificate for it not to me her. I have a contact who has been helping me find burial records in  Sunderland so I asked him to look. I was delighted when the record came back for Eleanor Connal and  the address was her daughter's which confirmed it. Ellen's name has been mis-transcribed all of her life in so many different ways. This was the proof I needed so I sent of for the death certificate and it arrived today. The cause of death was Cerebral Haemorrhage age 79 so this may mean a change in the date of birth I had or maybe they just didn't know her age. The informant was my great x 2 grandfather,  her son-in-law. I also now know that her husband (3rd marriage) was to a John Connell - Stoker in Ship Yard but I have never been able to find anything about him. I did find a possible census record where he is visiting with a known relative but nothing definite. That  record stated a birth 1842 in Ireland so would be a lot younger than her.
I also found the deaths of both her parents Patrick/Peter Dunning and Sarah Dunning (nee Docherty) Patrick died in 1867 at 24 Market Street from pneumonia and Sarah died in Sep 1872 from Bronchitis pleuritis also at 24 Market Street. The death records also gave a name of my great x  grandfather Matthew Dunning a farmer. Sarah's doesn't give a Christian name for her father just Docherty Farm Labourer. I found a Nancy Docherty living in Market Street who I think could possible be her mother. I think that is maybe as far back as I can expect to go as that is 1700s and Irish records so hard to find. I do hope however to find more about the members of the family who came from Ireland to settle in Greenock.
I thought I had come up against a brick wall and would never break it down but thanks to you Monica and everyone else who responded to my post, I have managed to get so far.

Thank you all so very much.

Julie
Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Julie, well done for working so hard and keeping going! Obsessive love we have for all of this on our lines  ::) ;D  Also sometimes we do the same on other people's lines too... ;)

I followed all of that and can see how you have made the steps in the research of late.

The name Ellen is open to so many variants, see www.whatsinaname.net/php/search.php?action=search2&search_name=ellen

Monica

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Just a quick update for anyone who followed or responded to this post I started 4 years ago in particular Monica. She stayed with me whilst jumping through all the hoops to reach my objective and gave me so much encouragement and advice.
Well four years on, I am still tying up loose ends with this part of my tree but wanted everyone to know that my research, with the help of everyone here, has been proven to be correct.
I have two DNA matches who are descendants of John Dunning the brother of my great x 4 Patrick Dunning and have been in touch with them.
I started out trying to find the death records of my x2 grandfather Duncan McKenzie and x 3 grandfather John Ferries. I had found possibilities but wasn't sure. The death record for John gave the wrong age (85) when he was in fact 56. The Duncan McKenzie death record didn't match the parents I had for him in my tree but it was my tree that was wrong. Both records were correct.
I now have burial records and  locations for both of them in Greenock Cemetery. John is interred with 6 others including his wife my great x 3 grandmother Mary (nee McLachlan)  two sons, a daughter-in-law, nephew and an infant buried there prior to him purchasing the Lair in1858.
Duncan McKenzie was buried in common ground and unfortunately the record does no specify where but I know it is one of three areas of the cemetery.
Robert Ferries (son of John Ferries above) is buried nearby with his second wife - the first being buried in the Ferries Lair.
My great x 4 grandparents Patrick and Sarah Dunning (nee Docherty) are also buried there with John Eadie their son in law and my great x 3 grandmother Ellen Dunning's 2nd husband who died at Graving Dock together with an infant grandson (son of John Eadie and Ellen Dunning).
My great x 4 grandfather James McLachlan (father of Mary McLachlan above) is buried with his 2nd wife Isabelle (Blair) and two sons - William and James who was the husband of Jessie McIntosh of the Sandyford murder fame. Also buried with them is his grandaughter Eliza or Elizabeth aged 3 years 6 months, daughter of John Ferries and Mary McLachlan who I had no knowledge of I have a photgraph of this grave and hope to get some of the others soon.
Unfortunately, I cannot trace my great x 3 grandmother Elizabeth McLachlan (nee McClure) as she died before Greenock Cemetery opened sometime between 1827 and 1830. That is my next challenge!
I traced Duncan McKenzie's parents marriage and subsequent baptisms of him and his siblings but haven't found their deaths yet (another challenge).
It just goes to show that if your persevere and leave no stone unturned, most brick walls can be broken down.
Many thanks once again to all.
Julie
Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie

How amazing that you have found such comprehensive records for the burials on so many of the family.

Great news too that you have managed to make the DNA connections that you have.

Sounds like you are still full energy to continue.... ;)

Monica  :)