Author Topic: Looking for death records for John Ferries and Duncan McKenzie  (Read 19564 times)

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for death records for John Ferries and Duncan McKenzie
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,
Thanks for your interest. The newspaper announcement was very brief and gives the place of death as Greenock Infirmary. I viewed the death that Don found on Scotland's people but I already knew it wasn't him as the age was 85 and my great, great, great, grandfather was only in his early fifties. However, I now know this is not his date of death. The record has his name  as John Ferres and date of death is 24th May 1874. The announcement is two days later. Cause of death is Typhus Fever.
The interesting thing is that his residence was Drumfrochar Road where incidently one of the Ferries children was born - Robert Ferries born 1882. There may be a family connection so I need to look at this further. The announcement said John Ferries father of John Ferries so I assumed it was him,
The youngest child was as you say Mary born 7th January 1866 - later to become Mary Mitchell. Her mother died at her house in 1911. She is with them on the 1901 and 1911 census and they are indeed living at 1 St. Andrew's Square in 1881. John Ferries is alive  in 1871 as he is on the census living with wife Mary, and children John, Robert and Mary. His occupation is given as labourer. I found this census on Find My Past though as it's not on Ancestry. He first appears on the 1851 Census living at 13 Cowgate, St. Lambs Land, Greenock (shoemaker). With them are 2 lodgers from Ireland. In 1861 they have moved to 1 Buccleigh St (shoemaker). He married in 1844 but is not on the 1841 census so I think he left Ireland between 1841-1844. John, his son,  married my great, great grandmother on March 30th 1875 but I haven't been able to find their actual marriage record so don't know if his father was alive at that time.
Therfore, I can only conclude that he died some time between 1871 and 1881. His death record must be somewhere!
Regards Julie
Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Is this son John's marriage that you mention https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYQC-B6N

The marriage is showing on SP  :) The spellings are as showing on the indexed entry on the link.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi! Yes that is their marriage. I have absolute proof as I have a newspaper cutting of their Diamond Wedding and the date is mentioned. They were married in the Scottish Episcopal Church, Greenock. I have just found their marriage record from Scotland's People. I printed it out a couple of years ago but couldn't find it. It shows that his father was deceased at the time of their marriage which means he died between 2nd April 1971 and 30th March 1875 - a four year period.
Julie
Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Julie, sometimes happens that names are misindexed on the register for searches (I know, took me for ever to find my lovely g grandfather Patrick Tulley  :-\). The sort of searches that could help now may not be available to you as I don't think you are local to relevant family history libraries. The sort of checks would be the valuation rolls for the period. SP are putting these online, but they are doing it in stages and the earliest online at the moment is 1885 (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Content/Help/index.aspx?r=554&2080). John Snr's death may not have been in Greenock though, he may have died elsewhere (not that I am seeing anything on a wider search that could help for now).

I was just looking at the McKenzie side. I was looking for the children to see which was the last one. You have this, but just for background here:

Isabella (who married John Ferries) 1856 www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Content/Help/index.aspx?r=554&2080
Daniel 1858 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYYK-NY5

Were there any more after this?

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Ok, found census now for 1861 I think. Ages mis-transcribed? Surname McFarlane?:

Andrew Mcfarlane 28
Isabella Mcfarlane 29
Sarah Mcfarlane 10
Ellen Mckenzie 30 b. Ireland
John Mckenzie 10 grandchild b. Greenock
Isabella Mckenzie 4 grandchild b. Dumbartonshire
Danl Mckenzie 2 grandchild b. Dumbartonshire
Elizth Mckenzie 4 months grandchild b. Greenock

Address: 7 Smiths Lane, Greenock

1861 census was on Sunday 7 April. With Elizabeth showing as 4 months old, Duncan's death would need to have been in 1860 (if she was his child?).

Was he a shipwright? He could have died at sea...

Monica

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Those records are the correct ones. Duncan McKenzie (g.g.g grandfather) was born 22nd February 1833 in  Paisley. On his daughter Isabella's birth record (my g.g.grandmother) on 26th December 1856 his occupation is Rivetter Journeyman but on her marriage record her father is Duncan McKenzie Shipwright deceased. I must admit it had never crossed my mind that he may have died at sea. The youngest of their children was Elizabeth aged 4 months on the 1861 census. Children John, Isabella, Daniel and Elizabeth. Another child Catherine died date unknown as yet. They were living at 7 Smiths Lane. They were not grandchildren of the head of house as stated. Their age confirms that but I think that Isabella may have been Ellen's sister as she was also from Ireland. Ellen is working as their housekeeper. On the 1871 Census Ellen is now married to John Eadie and has three further children Ellen, Alexander and Sarah Ann. On the 1881 census she is visiting her daughter Isabella and husband John Ferries (g.g.grandparents) in Sunderland but is now Mrs Connal. Her youngest child Sarah Ann (Isabella's step-sister) is working as their servant. She is there again as visior in 1901 and actually living with them on the 1911 census and has reverted to her name of Eadie. She is aged 78 and I assume she lived with them until her death which I also cannot find. Maybe she moved back to Scotland or she changed her name again. I had been told by a cousin when I first started searching that both Isabella's parents were deceased at the time of her marriage. It took me ages to find her. Not only does she change her name often, on various records she is Dinnin, Dunnan, Dunning, Dinyon etc. The Familysearch record for Daniel McKenzie b. 1858 states mother Dinnin. However, I go with Dunning as Isabella names one of her children Ellen Dunning Ferries after her mother.
Isabella and Daniel were both born in Dunbartonshire. I now need to find a birth for his youngest child Elizabeth to see if she was born there or in Greenock. That still may not help if he died at sea.
Regards Julie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 19:00 GMT (UK) »
I struggled finding an entry for Elizabeth born late 1860. I thought she might have even been registered into early 1861 (there was one entry showing on SP in Greenock for 1861) but I think this might be that entry from SP - the only one and not connected to the family - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQ7J-KV5

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Julie, don't worry about the spellings for Helen/Ellen's maiden name. Spellings were so fluid at this time that you will likely find a full range of variations for this surname. My Patrick's mother, Mary was a Dorrington from Ireland...I lost count on the number of variations on spellings. None are wrong when you have no hard fast rules on spellings of names as you do today.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Regarding Isabella McFarlane from 1861, there are some births later that might connect, taking in to account spellings of Dunning as this Isabella shows as Dunyon:

Matthew 1864 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQGZ-WG4
Andrew 1865 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQTV-C3X
James 1870 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQTT-MB2

Can't see them in 1871 so far  :-\

Monica