Author Topic: John Paterson Hogg (1859-1933) and Dorothy Phillips (?-?)  (Read 7727 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
John Paterson Hogg (1859-1933) and Dorothy Phillips (?-?)
« on: Friday 07 February 14 14:05 GMT (UK) »
John Paterson Hogg was born in Larbert in 1859 and died in Glasgow in 1933. He was variously described as a lawyer and solicitor. He married first Christina Morrison Bruce (1858-1890) and had three children. Apart from a death certificate for their daughter Isabella (b 1883, married and outlived Arthur Samuel Rice 1893/4-1942), I have all the relevant birth, marriage, and death certificates and census information about them.

Some time after the 1891 census, John married Dorothy Phillips. According to the 1911 census, Dorothy was aged 47, born in England, and had been married 17 years. Their son James was aged 11, born in England. I have not found a marriage record. Nor have I found a birth record for the son, James Augustus Paterson Hogg, or a listing in the 1901 census.

James Augustus Paterson Hogg died in Edinburgh in 1973, and his death certificate says that he was born on 26 January 1900. He married Mary Craig Wallace in 1963, and I have Mary's birth, marriage and death certificates. However he was also previously married to a Margaret, surname unknown, and all attempts so far to find a marriage record have been unsuccessful.

He too was a lawyer. He was a partner in a legal practice in Glasgow in 1926, and in a firm in Edinburgh between 1957 and 1965. He served a short service commission in the HLI and was promoted Lt on 1st Nov 1948 with seniority 24th Aug 1939 (I don't really understand this either!)

Can anyone suggest where I might find
- the marriage record of John Paterson Hogg and Dorothy Phillips
- the birth record of James Augustus Paterson Hogg
- the marriage record of James A P Hogg and Margaret
- the death record of Isabella Chalmers Bruce Hogg or Rice?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Paterson Hogg (1859-1933) and Dorothy Phillips (?-?)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 February 14 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi
There is a marriage to a Mary Phillips in St Andrews Church, Fulham on 8 Jan 1894. He is a 34 year old widower, solicitor of Larbert . Father James Hogg builder. Mary is 30 and a spinster of 10 Fairholme Road . Father Ralph Phillips solicitor. The image is in the London marriages collection on a*cy.

William

Should have written Ralph Phillips gentleman.
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 February 14 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, MILLMOOR. I had noted that marriage on FreeBMD but discounted it on the grounds that Mary and Dorothy are rather different, but with those details, it looks as if it must be right. I'll follow it up.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Lenagh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 February 14 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks also from me, MILLMOOR!  I had a possible marriage for a Dorothy Phillips and James Patterson Hogg in 1899 from FreeBMD Index that I thought might have been them.  Just goes to prove how important it is to see the original certificate.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 February 14 13:03 GMT (UK) »

...He served a short service commission in the HLI and was promoted Lt on 1st Nov 1948 with seniority 24th Aug 1939

A mention here from 1919 www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/31282/supplements/4688/page.pdf - may explain his WW2 involvement.

Ah, just found his WW1 service papers. Enlisted August 1918, James A P P Hogg, a student (Glasgow Uni?), living at Abercorn Rothesay (gosh he was tall for the times at 6ft+!). As mentioned, his birth year shows as 1900 (he shows as aged 18 plus 7mths, with an enlistment early August 1918 fits with that Jan 1900 birth date). His father is given as NOK (had mother died by now?).

Was James A P P the only son from the marriage going by the 1911 entry?

...According to the 1911 census, Dorothy was aged 47, born in England, and had been married 17 years. Their son James was aged 11, born in England...

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 February 14 14:34 GMT (UK) »

- the death record of Isabella Chalmers Bruce Hogg or Rice?

Am I right in thinking that a daughter Phyllis b. 1912 married a Colin Campbell Horsfall from England?

5-- Isabella Chalmers Bruce HOGG-791 (1886- ) Broomage Knowe,Larbert,STI,SCT
sp-Arthur Samuel RICE-859 (1886-1942) ,Dundee,ANS,SCT
6-- Phyllis RICE-672 (1912- ) ,,,SCT
sp-Colin CAMPBELL-HORSFAL-671 (1910- ) ,,,ENG
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hogg/families2.html

Due to lack of Scottish death for mother Isabella, wondered whether she died in England? This entry fits well:

Isobel Chalmers B Rice b. 31 Jul 1886/aged 84. Reg date Sep 1970 in Wandsworth London. Vol. 5e, pg. 1378

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 February 14 15:30 GMT (UK) »

- the marriage record of James A P Hogg and Margaret

A guess only, from what I am seeing from general searches.

A marriage between a James Hogg and a Margaret Byrne in Blythswood Glasgow in 1934

A death for a Margaret Byrne/ Hogg in Edinburgh in 1950. I think there may be a problem with the age recorded...shows likely blank?

Monica

Offline Lenagh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 February 14 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Just downloaded his service records - thanks Monica.

Forfarian will probably be able to confirm your other queries.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 February 14 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Am I right in thinking that a daughter Phyllis b. 1912 married a Colin Campbell Horsfall from England?

Yes. That tree is one I submitted many years ago. I don't actually know where they were married, but I do know that Colin had a second daughter by a Japanese wife, Itsuko Sekiguchi, and died in Japan in 1970. Phyllis died in London in 1996, and her death listing gives her DoB as 4 September 1914, but again I don't know where she was born. Her father Arthur Samuel Rice was half Greek and born in Smyrna/Izmir, which is now in Turkey.

Thank you for all the other pointers. I will follow them up.

Was James A P P the only son from the marriage going by the 1911 entry?

Yes.