Author Topic: keeble family from stradbroke suffolk  (Read 1657 times)

Offline fionakeeble

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
keeble family from stradbroke suffolk
« on: Saturday 08 February 14 21:42 GMT (UK) »
I'm tracing my Keeble roots... I have traced my ancestors as far as 1826. My great great grandfather Francis Keeble b 1828 (ish) in stradbroke Suffolk. He moved to Hastings after 1872 with his 7 children to become a milk man/farmer in Sussex, his children married in Hastings. My great grandfather was Charles William Keeble b 1866 married Emily Farnfield, they had 7 children, my grandfather Frank met his wife Lilian Reading after ww1 in Warrington and they married and moved to Widnes, my father frank was b 1923 in Widnes ...hope someone can help fill in some gaps with Francis' family
Fiona Barker

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Re: keeble family from stradbroke suffolk
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 February 14 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Further to our chat in chat... it looks to me that the Stradbroke baptism records (online, at least) start after Francis (1828) but before John (1830)! Which is why we can't find Francis's christening or his apparent mother Ann's christening.

The marriage of John KEEBLE to Ann HOWARD was in Linstead Parva, by the way. I can't see an image of it on FindMyPast unfortunately.

I am curious about the relationship between Lucy HOWARD and Charles HOWARD, if indeed there was one. It seems to me there are reoccurring child names there... (I'd love to see if Lucy's father George was Ann's brother for something...) Unfortunately with no records I don't know how we'd do that!

I guess one thing would be to get the marriage certificate of Francis to Lucy for a start, which should have John as a father and might have witnesses from his side of the family to tie in. I'm not sure how you might more conclusively tie Francis and John together without a birth/christening... there's supporting evidence but I understand your want for more conclusive results.

Edit- Just realised that Ann's remarriage:
2 qr 1842
Ann KEBLE to James WHITMORE
Hoxne, Suffolk
13 681
should have her father's name on! Yes, it won't help you link Francis to John, unless Francis was a witness on this marriage cert (it's possible...) but if you are happy to accept Ann as Francis's mother at any point, this should help confirm Charles as her father.

Offline fionakeeble

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 February 14 10:55 GMT (UK) »
hi ayashi, on the census it shows francis being married to lucy (assumed to be lucy howard) the marriage took place in 1862, yet Augustus was born in 1858?...I think francis may have siblings, james b 1820, syer b 1826 and john b 1831, they are all on the census in stradbroke, living doors way from each other, but no way of proving the connection at the moment without buying the certificates..

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 February 14 16:27 GMT (UK) »
I noticed that last night as you know, but didn't have enough brainpower left to remember to look for Augustus. It's not uncommon for some children to be born illegitimately before the mother marries (and husband may or may not be the father). Oddly, I can't seem to find a birth for Augustus under Howard or Keeble. The 1871 census shows a daughter Sarah 1854, Augustus 1856 and John 1858. I'm unsure if Frank 1862 is before or after the marriage as I can find births in the same quarter for both surnames! With a succession of children like that though, rather than one or two illegitimates, if the marriage of Francis to Lucy Howard is right, I'd suspect either that Francis is the father and they just married late, or that Francis was married before and Lucy is not the mother of those children.*

Francis who is with his grandmother (1851) is also with John c1831 on that census. John on the previous census (1841) is with Ann and younger siblings Sarah (c1834), Lucy (c1836), and Charles (c1838). That's not to say James 1820 and Syer 1826 are not his siblings as well though... unfortunately again, no christenings.

* Edit-
Albert Augustus HOWARD b. Apr 1856, ch. 25 Feb 1857, Stradbroke, mother Lucy HOWARD (no father).
Annoyingly, this is the only child I've been able to find. They like to make it difficult, your lot, don't they?

Another edit-
It is interesting to note that (if I’m following the right guy) James 1820 is, in 1851, living with one Virtue KEABLE 1773 Thrandeston, who is a widow. It’s unclear what relation she is to him, as she’s been listed first in the household and then him second as the Head!
As for Syer (I'm not sure where 1826 came from, as the only census guy I could see of that name matches this) this could well be him-
Syer Keable
England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
christening:   20 April 1817   WINGFIELD,SUFFOLK,ENGLAND
father:   Charles Keable
mother:   Phyllis

Offline K.Miller005

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 March 16 06:01 GMT (UK) »
If some one reads this I am tracking Lucy Ann Howard's Line any information at this time would help me and my investigations into my lost line ...
All I have so far was the names
Lucy Ann Recurring through out as each daughter born carried the name so far , the last relative I have gotten to is my great great grandmother with the name Licy Ann Howard ?? Any ideas

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 March 16 08:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello K Miller

There was a Lucy Howard bpt in Stradbroke 25 Aug 1833 daug of George & Hannah Howard.  George's occupation is given as farmer. 

Date wise it could fit with her being the mother of Albert in the post 9 Feb 2014.
"* Edit-
Albert Augustus HOWARD b. Apr 1856, ch. 25 Feb 1857, Stradbroke, mother Lucy HOWARD (no father)."

K

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 March 16 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Keeble is one of those names with so many alternatives, depending who was writing down the information. Be aware that Keable, Keeble, Keble, Kebal, Kable, Cabell and Cable are found.

SM ...
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Rogier

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 March 16 20:20 GMT (UK) »
With so many families of the name Keable, with its various spelling, and living in the area of Cratfield, Yoxford, Mendlesham and surrounds, you'll be doing very well not to encounter some confusion as some stage or other.

My interest is in a Hannah Ke(a)ble of the Worlingworth area about 1700s
Allum: Worlingworth/Horham Sfk/Canning Town
Read: Badingham/Framlingham Sfk
Ke(a)ble Horham/Worlingworth
Poague: any
(H)avis: Sry/ Stepney
Bird: Newington Sry.
Burrows: Badingham/Canning Town
Goldfinch:  East London