Author Topic: Thomas Jones, Bettws Bledrws, Maes-y-Felin Lookup  (Read 11794 times)

Offline ajonesva

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Jones, Bettws Bledrws, Maes-y-Felin Lookup
« on: Sunday 09 February 14 00:28 GMT (UK) »
Just a beginner, I am in the US, trying to piece together the details of family members in Wales. I've found some information online and from other family members to help me build my tree. But I still have holes. I should note that I tried searching these forums before posting these questions. I hope that someone can help! Or at least help me understand the best way to find this information from the US.

Thomas A. Jones, b.1756 d.1819 (not sure if dates are correct); lived at Maes-y-Felin in parish of Bettws Bledrws, Lampeter, Cardiganshire. I think he stayed in Wales. Married to Elizabeth (dont know her maiden name) b.1969, d,1848 (not sure if these are correct).

His son, Thomas T. Jones, b.1804, d. 1887, He married Mary Edwards (from LLanddewi-Brefi, daughter of Thomas and Anne Edwards, Tanlan) on 17 Oct 1826 at the LLanddewi-Brefi Church. May have lived at Llwen Bobi, the game warden's house before leaving Wales. They immigrated to the US in 1838 and settled in Jackson Ohio.

My requests for help!:

1. I want to learn who the elder Thomas is....
2. When was he really born? Where? When did he die?
3. When was his wife, Elizabeth born? Where? When did she die?
4. What did he/they do at Maes-y-Felin Fach? What were his and her occupations?
5. Did they have more children other than Thomas T.? And, who were they?
6. Finally, who were their parents? (Thomas A., Elizabeth, Thomas Edwards and his wife Anne)

Many thanks! :)

Offline jencairns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Jones, Bettws Bledrws, Maes-y-Felin Lookup
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 March 14 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi ......

It's your lucky day... I rarely look at Rootschat, but did today.

A couple of years ago I researched this family quite thoroughly. Haven't got time today to look at my records, will later in the week. BUT from memory I do know a) that the house Elizabeth Jones lived in is a couple of houses/cottages away from me and b) Her son Thomas Jones, known in Ohio as Thomas T Jones, emigrated to Ohio. (?Oak Hill) and was well known there (as Thomas T Jones, Agent). Elizabeth herself and her husband Thomas are buried in Betws Bledrws. The name of the house in those days was Glanbrechan. These days it has another name. Elizabeth was a prime mover in the foundation of the local Calvinistic Methodist Chapel (these days called Presbyterian) Capel Maesyffynnon.   

Another relative visited a couple of years ago.

I am attaching a photo of Glanbrechan in 1948 (the children are myself and my brother) - and have you read  "Calvinists Incorporated - Welsh Immigrants on Ohio's Industrial Frontier" by Anne Kelly Knowles - which has information on the Jones family.

Mary Edwards was from Betws Leucu village (comes under Llanddewi Brefi).. I have an outline of the family tree at the time of their residence in Betws Bledrws and several photos etc, census returns, and general information...  I also have a Powerpoint presentation on the subject of Elizabeth Jones... and she is referred to in a leaflet on the history of the chapel I mentioned.

Best wishes,

Jen

Offline ajonesva

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 March 14 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Dear Jen,

You absolutely MADE my day.  :) What an adorable photo. This is the same family! Thank you so much for taking the time to respond, I am so thankful that you checked the site and provided as much as you did. I actually had just about given up.

Yes, my uncle Brooks was in Wales in the last 10 yrs or so and was probably asking anyone he could find about our family. He is not shy. However, he is retired now, and whatever he did gather on his trip is limited..

If you do find time later this week or in the near future to connect again with me, I would greatly appreciate it. Heck, I will wait months if I have to knowing you may be able to enlighten me. Are you related to Elizabeth Edwards?

Yes! I just ordered the book a month ago and extracted as much info as I could from it about Thomas but plan to read in full when I have time. I also have been in touch with the Director at the Lillian Jones Museum in Jackson, OH where my fathers family lived. Lillian would have been a cousin of my grandfather (I think). The museum has been so helpful in supporting me in my search.

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing from you!
Aly (Jones) Warner

Offline jencairns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 March 14 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Dear Aly,

Attached is a photo of the site where Llwyn Bobi used to be. When I wanted to take a photo the farmer assured me that there was no sign of anything there at all - however, when she whisked me up there on the back of her mini tractor there it was.

Where did you get the info that this used to be occupied by a gamekeeper?

If you look on a modern map, find a farm called CWM and it is nearby.

It wasn't Brook who had been in touch, it was someone who now lives in New Zealand. Also I am absolutely NOT related to the Jones family, just live in the neighbourhood.

You wrote:-
1. I want to learn who the elder Thomas is....
2. When was he really born? Where? When did he die?

No idea where he was born, Thomas Jones is quite a common name.
Thomas Jones  Born 1756  Died 1819 [age 63]  TWO gravestones - an earlier one which was too small to hold the family names after he had gone. Found by accident in a farm yard the other side of Lampeter, by a farmer who could not find Glanbrechan, until I gave a talk on the subject... much to his delight.

3. When was his wife, Elizabeth born? Where? When did she die?

Elizabeth Jones   Born ?1769 (no idea where) Died 1848 [79] in Glanbrechan, buried with her husband in Betws Bledrws churchyard with gravestone

I can't trace place or date of marriage either. Presumably (as Thomas Junior appears to have been born 1803) a year or so before this date.

4. What did he/they do at Maes-y-Felin Fach? What were his and her occupations?

Farmer

5. Did they have more children other than Thomas T.? And, who were they?

Yes, I think so. Thomas (who went to Ohio), Margaret, who married a Lloyd, and another son  - Ebenezer

Thomas Jones Born 1803-87
Margaret Jones / Margaret Lloyd  Born c. 1806  Died 1835 aged 29 had a son - John Lloyd Born 1835 - no idea what happened to him.
Ebenezer Jones Born 1816  Died 1870 - don't know where.

6. Finally, who were their parents? (Thomas A., Elizabeth, Thomas Edwards and his wife Anne)

Elizabeth and Thomas (where did you get the "A" from??)

Thomas Edwards, and Anne

Mary Edwards, wife of Thomas T Jones
Mary came from Betws Leucu, and her old home still survives.  Her brother also emigrated to Ohio, and may have lived in Gelli Hir in the same parish.  Marriage in Llanddewi Brefi (Betws Leucu was then a chapel of ease and for some reason (probably in bad condition) was not in use at this time. Therefore the marriage took place in Llanddewi Brefi) and is recorded in the Bishop’s Transcripts. (I checked it).

Elizabeth Jones's will is ONLINE in the National Library, and you can buy a copy.

Thomas Jones junior (Llwyn Bobi) apparently bred cobbs, but I have only verbal communication for this. However, I have also seen a copy of the old church parish register for this period and Thomas Jones was also a church warden, and his name is mentioned at meetings.

cheers,
Jen

Offline ajonesva

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 March 14 02:20 GMT (UK) »
Dear Jen,

Thank you for this additional information. It is very helpful. My uncle Brooks mentioned something about the gamewarden but I've no way to confirm that. You seem to know so much more so if it doesn't ring a bell then he likely misspoke.

I have more questions for you, if you don't mind taking a look at them. Hope I am not bothering you too much with this. It seems easy enough to find information on my family once they settled in the US but tracing things back to Wales has its challenges.

Questions:
1. What can you tell me about Glenbrechan? It is still standing? I'm intrigued to learn you gave a talk on it.

2. What kind of farmers were they? Crops? Livestock? Just curious....

3. How can I find more information about Mary who lived/grew up at Betws Leucu? Is someone living in her home?

4. Did Mary Edwards' father marry her and Thomas Jones at Llandewi Brefi? I think I may have seen that but am not entirely sure.

5. If I wanted to find Elizabeth Jones' will online, how could I find it? I only ask because her name also seems like it would have been quite common.

6. What is your sense of the genealogical resources that are available in Wales? I would really like to make plans to visit when my son (now 2yrs) is older so I can travel to the villages and communities that my family came from.  While there, I know it may be easier to do any genealogical searching.

I am such an amature but am determined to put these pieces together for my son and hopefully generations to come.

If you happen to come across your power point or your family tree you mentioned, I would be very interested in reviewing it.

Many thanks and Regards,
Aly  :D

Offline myukkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 August 14 21:12 BST (UK) »
Tripped across your post on Thos. T Jones.  He is my g-g-g-grand father and I live 2 hours from where he settled in Jackson Co, OH.  Would love to discuss on phone.
Morgan, Jones, Richards, Morris, Alban, Harries

Offline myukkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 August 14 19:12 BST (UK) »
Tripped across your post on Thos. T Jones.  He is my g-g-g-grand father and I have visited where  he settled in Jackson Co, OH.

Offline jencairns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 August 14 19:34 BST (UK) »
Hi - I have a LOT of info on Thomas T and lots of photos. Glanbrechan, where Elizabeth and her husband (parents of Thomas T) is about 50 yards away from where I live. The house is not called Glanbrechan these days. Apart from Aly who started this current thread I was approached, several years ago now, by a Jones now living in NZ. Apparently the National Library couldn't help him in identifying either Maesyfelin Fach, or Glanbrechan, so he struck lucky!  Elizabeth Jones, incidentally, was a prime mover in setting up a Methodist chapel in Llangybi - which is still there.

Note to ALY - I don't think I replied to your last message, but had health probs... mostly cataract, but now sorted, touch wood. Let me know if you want replies to all your questions.

Best wishes all,
Jen

Offline myukkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 August 14 02:06 BST (UK) »
This is absolutely unbelievable!!  I am headed to a Gymanfa in Venedocia, Ohio (a well known Welsh community in NW Ohio)  the first weekend in September where I will meet up with a number of cousins who will be absolutely thrilled to learn of this break-through of 2 more generations.  If it is not too much trouble, I'd love whatever pix you can send.  Please do not go to too much trouble!
Thank you so much!!!
Denny Brown, USA