Author Topic: George Wilson - from one brickwall to 2 - help!  (Read 6186 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Wilson - from one brickwall to 2 - help!
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 March 14 00:13 GMT (UK) »
My ggg grandmother, Mary Jane Moore and her sister Margaret, daughters of Cpt John Moore RN, arrived in Australia on the James L Bogert in 1853. Mary Jane's daughter Margaret married a Samuel Crush and they lived in Collingwood, where my great grandfather Walter was born in 1876. Margaret's surname was Wilson and on her marriage certificate to Crush, her father is listed as George Wilson. Mary Jane Wilson was later married to a William Lee. I find no marriage certificate for either marriage - Mary Jane Moore to George Wilson, nor a Mary Jane Wilson to a William Lee. Mary Jane subsequently left Australia with daughter Margaret (calling herself Margaret Smith) and Margaret's children where they set up a new life for themselves in Otago, New Zealand.

George I doubt there were any marriages.  Informants have give some sort of a response when giving information for certificates.  Information on death certs is not reliable.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GeorgiyH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 March 14 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Yes, i suspect there were no marriages either. Have found a George Wilson, magistrate in St Kilda, going by the gazette.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 March 14 01:15 GMT (UK) »
But couldn't the father have also George WATSON?

George WILSON is not an unusual name George ;)

Cheers :)

Cando

Offline GeorgiyH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 March 14 02:21 GMT (UK) »
Marriage of Samuel Crush is to Margaret Wilson, and her father is written on the certificate as George Wilson. Just the death certificates have Watson.

Offline GeorgiyH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 20:18 BST (UK) »
Just to bump this up with some newer information - on the birth certificate of Walter Crush (Margaret's son) in late 1875, it states that she is 20 years old, born in Burrumbeet, and her maiden name was definitely Wilson. Now, I haven't found anything on Victorian BMDs, but would there perhaps be anything in digger records or early church records perhaps? Does anyone have access to these that could perhaps look it up? In a book about the early days of the Ballarat area, I find that there was a group of prospectors, including a George Wilson. Could this perhaps be my one?

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 01:26 BST (UK) »
The CD's were transcribed from Vic bdm so I don't know you expect to find 'anything' further.  A birth in c1854 Burrumbeet during the Ballarat gold rush.....I bet many births weren't registered.  People will often state they were born at a certain place when in fact it was the place they were raised.  Burrumbeet would have been in the registration district of Ballarat.  There were three George WILSON's having chn in the Ballarat district from 1856 to 1872.  Perhaps a reminder that civil registration commenced in Vic in Jul 1853 and births in rural areas may not have been registered eg in this case if Margaret was born c1854 at Burrumbeet this may have involved a journey to Ballarat to the local registrar. 

Have you searched on TROVE for any evidence of a George WILSON at Burrumbeet or Ballarat in the era?

Cando :)

Offline GeorgiyH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 02:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Cando. From what I know Margaret was the only child of this particular GW - the fact that there are three others out there may help eliminate some different families. Trove will also be useful. A quick look last night wasn't too successful though.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 02:44 BST (UK) »
Well I wish you luck trying to eliminate the other George WILSON families....I don't know how you will know whether or not it is your George as you have no identifying information about him.  There was only one George WILSON who enrolled to vote in 1856 with his eligibility  miner's right, at Ballarat and he lived at Ballarat East....Burrumbeet is west of Ballarat.

You need to read the history of the places you are researching.  Burrumbeet wasn't surveyed until 1857.  Many bdm's probably weren't registered because of the distance from Ballarat.

Bride: Margaret Jane Wilson, spinster of Bismark, Victoria,

Would you please post a snip of the column that has the above information.  I find the place Bismark puzzling.  There is a Mt Bismark but not a place as such...well in that era.  You haven't transcribed the places of birth for the bride and groom either. You have the advantage of having the certificate and time and time again it is the small details that often help.

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 03:00 BST (UK) »