Author Topic: William Campbell - Cameron Highlanders  (Read 2744 times)

Offline Foffie

• RootsChat Member
  • Isabella Maclean 1837-1921
    • View Profile
William Campbell - Cameron Highlanders
« on: Sunday 09 February 14 14:57 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for a Private William Campbell who was a soldier with the Cameron Highlanders during WW1.  I have very little information about him other than the following:

•   He was said to have come from Glasgow and was a widower with at least one daughter.
•   He probably had reddish hair and possibly not very good eyesight.
•   He was in Invergordon, Ross-shire (Ross & Cromarty) during the autumn of 1917. 

In researching what I could about the Cameron Highlanders, I noticed that the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion was in Invergordon until November 1917, before moving to Birr in Ireland.  This led me to think that William Campbell may have been in this Battalion.  I also noticed that the 1st (Home Service) Garrison Battalion was formed in Invergordon during February 1917, before becoming the 18th Battalion of the Royal Defence Corps, but I don’t know whether this Battalion was in Invergordon during autumn 1917. 

Unfortunately, I do not know William Campbell’s birth or death dates, but I’m working on the assumption that he was born circa 1875-1880 plus or minus a few years at each end.  Neither do I know the names of his parents or other family members.  I have tried looking at census records in and around Glasgow and this throws up several people of the same name which makes it very difficult to zero in on the correct person. 

Is anyone able to help me locate the right William Campbell? 

Thanks,
Foffie               

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Campbell - Cameron Highlanders
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 February 14 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Do you have an army number for him ?

Offline Foffie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 February 14 08:13 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately I don't have an army number for him  :(

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 February 14 10:57 GMT (UK) »
That's a pity as there are a few William Cameron's on the Military records on Ancestry  :)

Offline Foffie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 February 14 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Is there a William Campbell listed as being in the Cameron Highlanders (Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders) in 1917 or 1918?

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 February 14 12:12 GMT (UK) »
There is a William Campbell in 1917 from Glasgow do you know what family he had as it lists a daughter Margaret  born 1914 and Son William born 1916

Offline Foffie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 February 14 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this, Rosie.  I don't have details of his family but I believe he had at least one daughter.  If this is the only William Campbell in the Cameron Highlanders around 1917, this might be worth following up.  Do you have any additional details about him?   

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 February 14 14:04 GMT (UK) »
There are a few but going by the information you have it will be hard to track him down ....Where did you get the information about him being in the Cameron Highlander's ..it's a pity you did not have other family names to link him with ???

Offline mitch601

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am researching  a William simpson Campbell in my tree,my great grandfather,born 1882, nairn,Scotland and was in Cameron highlanders ,discharged and Rejoined. Invergordon is mentioned on one of his papers somewhere ,I'm wondering about any connections but difficult with the little info you have. Are you sure you're is from Scotland? There was a William Campbell who would have been his uncle we think. Still a lot of working out to do there too.