Author Topic: Northern ireland burial records - William Gough  (Read 12961 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Northern ireland burial records - William Gough
« Reply #27 on: Friday 21 February 14 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Joseph Ernest Gough in 1911 census with parents in Co. Down- probably just a co-incidence that he ended up near Larne.
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Tullylish/Ballymacanallen/252651
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Tess61

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 21 February 14 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for trying. I wrote to the St Cedma church office and they have replied saying they can't trace any burial for William. Also I had a reply from Larne Council, again with no trace so I was rather hoping for a success on Glynn one but thank you again. If you are in PRONI it would be great if you could check, the thing is I have his death certificate which clearly states he died at The Curran, Larne on 2 June 1895 and the death was registered on 7 June so he must be buried somewhere near there surely? It is almost the end of my search unless there are other churchyards in the area that I havn't written to.

Anyway grateful for what you have done and will be delighted if you find it at PRONI.

Regards
Tess

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 22 February 14 10:14 GMT (UK) »
I will check PRONI records in the next couple of weeks. 
If you haven’t done so yet it is worth having a look at the Valuation Revision Books on PRONI’s website : http://www.proni.gov.uk/index/search_the_archives/val12b.htm
If you look at VAL/12/B/714E (1884-1892) page 18 you will see George Gough at number 8 Harbour Road changing to William in 1892.  In VAL/12/B/714F (1893-1897) page 25 George is at number 8 until 1896 when the name is changed to Margaret. The name changes to ? Wilson in 1897 when the house number also changed to 22.  Valuation revisions were carried out periodically so that dates recorded can lag behind the actual event. These houses no longer exist.  I haven’t located anything earlier than 1884
I see that you have spent quite a bit on certificates.  GRONI historical records will be coming online in April.  By all accounts the system will be very user friendly and much cheaper than at present.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 22 February 14 11:33 GMT (UK) »
My grans says he was an Engineer and my living relative thinks he went to Larne from Wales to work on the railway

Based on this, I wonder if William Gough was the one recorded in Larne Petty Sessions of February 1875 as a witness. This William apparently lived in Larne and was employed by a Mr Crossland of Westmoreland, owner of the engine the case was concerning, and had been employed for 5 or 6 months. The 'engine' in question seems to have been a locomotive used to carry Iron Ore from Shane's Hill to Larne.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Tess61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 22 February 14 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Oh my goodness this is good news to me. Where can I see this transcript please?

Thanks very much

Offline Tess61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 22 February 14 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks. I will have a look at the records, didn't know these existed!! This is leading me to believe this is definitely my William as on one of the army records it says address Larne harbour. So it is likely that Margaret moved out after he died as she is in Belfast in 1901. He may have been known as George to some people, William to others.

Yes I have spent a lot of money on certs. I have all their 10 children birth and marriage certs and then I have all their children's certs too. But I still need to prove that the death cert for William is the right one.

Thanks a lot
Tess

Offline Tess61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 22 February 14 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi again. I have tried to view the records and page 18 and 25 have nothing relating to William. Am I looking at the right books. I typed in your reference and then clicked on each image but can't seem to find anything.

Thanks
Tess

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 22 February 14 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Go to:  www.proni.gov.uk   Click on “Valuation Revision Books” then “Search Valuation Books”.  On the Search Page enter “Harbour Road” in the first box, then “Antrim” as the county and “Larne” as the parish.  Click on the appropriate PRONI reference at the right-hand side.  Click on the “Next Image” or “Forward Ten Images” until you see page 18 on the top right-hand corner.  You can hover over the page to enlarge the image.  George/William should appear at number 8.  Good luck with that.

Offline Tess61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 22 February 14 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Oh thanks, I have found them now, I was looking at the page numbers at the bottom of each page. How do you know the dates that the names change. Could the one with george changing to William just be he called himself William then? or does it mean there was a George Gough too? I have no knowledge of a George because William arrived in Larne around 1878. Were these rates that people paid to the council?
And how on earth did you find these!!!
So all I need really now is the burial site.

Thanks
Tess