Author Topic: Northern ireland burial records - William Gough  (Read 12960 times)

Offline Tess61

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Northern ireland burial records - William Gough
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 22 February 14 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Just thinking if it would help you at PRONI I could scan the death cert and e-mail it you?

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 22 February 14 19:24 GMT (UK) »
If you look at “Valuation Revision Books in Context” on the opening page of the website, you will find an explanation of the date changes done with different ink colours.  Then look at the extreme right-hand side of each entry for the date.
It is impossible to say whether George was a different person or just recorded differently at a different time.  I am sure that valuers got names wrong in the same way as census enumerators often did.  But I suppose there remains the possibility of a different person. 
Griffiths Valuation was carried out in County Antrim in 1862 and it along with these revisions are one of the main census substitutes in the absence of census records for most of the 19th century.  It was the basis of a local tax in support of Poor Law Unions.
I think that you have already posted all of the information from the death certificate so there is probably no need to send it to me.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 23 February 14 17:44 GMT (UK) »
From familysearch.com

Name   William Gough
Event Type   Death
Event Date   Apr - Jun 1895
Event Place   Larne, Ireland
Registration Quarter and Year   Apr - Jun 1895
Registration District   Larne
Age   39
Birth Year (Estimated)   1856
Mother's Maiden Name   
Volume Number   1
Page Number   521
GS Film number   101598
Digital Folder Number   004200680

So he could have been born about 1856
From http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk
In 1877 Belfast Dock Street New
Garmoyle Street to Little Ship Street
23. Gough, William, boatman
in 1880 he’s gone
Gough, S., ship broker, 32 George's Street
Gough, Samuel, (of Morrison & Gough), 32 Great George's Street
In 1901 there are no Goughs in Larne as such

Did you exhaust the 1901 irish census, ie www.census.nationalarchives.  It might be easier to search if you knew the childrens names
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Tess61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much. Yes that's the info I have on William although I think he was born in 1850 in Mainstone Shropshire, married Margaret Davies in 1875 in Montgomery then moved to Larne. Their last child was born in 1895 and the eath certificate I have. In 1901 there is no trace of him, his wife is living with one child in Belfast. They had a son William George who lived in Belfast and married a Mary reid in 1908. He was a sailr, but William Snr was an engine driver.
Its just that I would like to confirm his burial and then I will know the death cert is right. I don't suppose there would be many William and Margaret Gough living in Larne and having 10 children!

Thanks again.
Tess

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Tess, Having read all the previous posts in detail and had private correspondence with you, I am more than sure that your William Gough who died in Larne is the right one.  I doubt if you will find his burial record. 
Regards,
RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 28 February 14 15:47 GMT (UK) »
At PRONI today I checked burial records for COI churches (the only ones with burial records) in Larne and Glynn but did not find any record for William.  I also checked baptism records at the COI churches along with those of four Presbyterian churches in the area – again no records.  For the sake of completeness, I also checked the baptism records for Larne Methodist Church and found 8 Gough baptism records starting with Thomas (born 28 April 1881, baptised 10 May 1881) through to Elsie (born 28 March 1895, baptised 27 August 1895).  At that time the Methodist Church was probably the closest church to Larne Harbour so that may have been an influencing factor.  I will tidy up the records and send them to you separately.
So no answer to the last resting place of William.  My guess is that he was buried in the McGarel Cemetery without a headstone and that the records are no longer available to Larne Council – but that is only a guess. 

Offline Tess61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 28 February 14 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Oh well

Thank you for trying. I appreciate the time you have taken to help me. I wonder do the baptism records give any clues or are they just a name and date.

At the moment I am still trying to find death records for William George junior born 1879. and John Richard born 1882. The rest of the family I have.

Many thanks
Tess

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 28 February 14 17:02 GMT (UK) »
I will send you the details by private message.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 28 March 17 18:00 BST (UK) »

... Its just that I would like to confirm his burial and then I will know the death cert is right. I don't suppose there would be many William and Margaret Gough living in Larne and having 10 children! ...

And even fewer living specifically in Curran within Larne.  According to the civil registration records, William died in Curran on 2 June 1895, his wife was residing in Curran when he died there, and critically, the couple's daughter Ann Davis Gough was born in Curran not even 6 months earlier on 24 December 1894: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1895/02232/1841341.pdf

So not just Larne.