Author Topic: Burial Thomas EVANS, Oswestry Aug 1851  (Read 2329 times)

Offline nickiejo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial Thomas EVANS, Oswestry Aug 1851
« on: Tuesday 11 February 14 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Thomas EVANS died 26 August 1851 aged 68, address Upper Church Street, Oswestry.  His wife Margaret, same address, died 16th February 1852 (info from newspaper notice).  I am trying to find out where in Oswestry they were buried (or the most likely churchyards to try).  I do know that their four children were baptised at the Arthur Street Indep. Chapel (from 1810-1815).

Nicola

Offline jamesdon99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Burial Thomas EVANS, Oswestry Aug 1851
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nicola

Just been in Oswestry Library this am.

They have fiche for the Arthur St Chapel from 1800 - 1811 and a transcript for 1813-16

In "The Old Chapel(Independent), Arthur Street, Oswestry - Register of Baptisms 1813 - 1816" I found

MARGARET EVANS daughter of THOMAS & Margaret(nee HUGHES) of the town of Oswestry, Mercer Born 17 July 1813 and Baptised 19 September 1813

JOHN EVANS son of THOMAS & MARGARET(nee HUGHES) of the town of Oswestry, Draper & Grocer Born 28 April 1815 and Baptised 29 May 1815

I had a quick look for Thomas Evans in Indexes of entries in the local paper. Did not find one for 1851 but there was a death of a Thomas Evans, Upper Church Street, in 1859, Aged 61. Didn't have time to check the entry as reader was being used. If you wish me to I will when I'm there next week.

Offline nickiejo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Very kind of you to look for me. Thank you for the baptism information. No, please don't worry about the Thomas Evans who died in 1859 aged 61 as he couldn't be part of this particular family.     I am hoping that there might be a headstone erected for Thomas Evans and his wife Margaret in a churchyard somewhere in Oswestry because their son was the Rev. Hugh Evans of Scremerstone in Northumberland - and you would hope he might be the sort who would organise one - though I know there are many unmarked!     I did also send a request to Oswestry library to look but they haven't responded (probably very busy) and I am not sure it got through.   

Many thanks again.

Nicola

Offline jamesdon99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 March 14 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nicola

Just managed today to get access to the locked burial ground of the Old Independent Chapel in Arthur Street. Not good news I'm afraid. About 20 or so years ago the gravestones were lifted apart from about 5 or six which have been laid flat next to the chapel. None of these were your relative. There is a metal sign with an enamel plaque attached giving names of some 44 headstones all from the right period. Some have the names of people but 17 are just listed as unidentified. I took a photo of this sign along with one of the burial ground and chapel. I also took one of the new Chapel called Christ Church built in the 1870s.

If they attended this Chapel they are likely to be in this burial ground as the Oswestry Cememetery did not open until the 1860s. Also there were many burials in Arthur Street in the 1850s

I have found another child baptised at the Chapel

Thomas, s of Thomas and Margaret(Hughes and afterwards M Mills) Evans, mercer and grocer, Oswestry born 15 march, baptised 12 April by John Whitridge, minister 1792 - 1826.

I also found that Shropshire Archives removed a document from Oswestry Library which was a petition of 3rd April 1849 to demand the Rev J Davies resign his pastorate at Old Chapel, Arthur Street immediately. It had 149 signatories and I would assume one would be your relative. If you want the pictures please PM me.

Offline nickiejo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 March 14 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for taking the trouble to do this.  I am sending you a PM.  I have also since discovered that there is the baptism at Arthur Street Independent Chapel of Hugh Evans (their other son) in 1812 but this year is missing for some reason from the image of the register available online.  I found it via Durham University who have a file on the Rev. Hugh.

Nicola