Author Topic: Losget, Defynog, Breckonshire  (Read 7552 times)

Offline Carandalex

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Losget, Defynog, Breckonshire
« on: Tuesday 11 February 14 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to find the whereabouts of Losget, Defynog.  In the 1841 census my ancestor Robert Candrick is a shepherd at Losget.  I am fairly conversant with the area but I have been unable to find it on an ordinance survey map.  I know the area consists, mainly, of farms but Losget appears to be several properties of seven families or perhaps one large estate.  one is a farm bailiff, 2 are widows, Robert a shepherd and 3 agricultural labourers.  I think that, perhaps, it may also have been misspelt in the census.  Robert's children were baptized at Capel Illtud.  I presume this is St Illtyd's Church at Libanus or is it at Llanilltyd.  Any help is appreciated.  Best Wishes.  Carol

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Losget, Defynog, Breckonshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 February 14 22:15 GMT (UK) »
according to the genuki page for Defynnog, Capel Illtud is another name for Llanilltud/Llanilltyd, a chapel of ease to Defynnog.

If yuo read the description of the area in that schedule of 1841, it's to the easternside of the buondaries between Senny and Maescar and Glyn, the southside of hte buondaries between Llanspyddid and GLyn, the west side of the boundaries of between Modryd and Glyn, te north side of the buondaries between Cantref and Ystradfellte and Glyn

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 February 14 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol, I have looked at the parish baptisms for David, Margaret and Thomas in Llanilltud, and the abode is spelled 'Losged'

Margaret
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 February 14 22:40 GMT (UK) »
According to an online Welsh/English dictionary:
Losged is the name of a common by Cwmcamlais, district of Brycheiniog (county of Powys) – i.e. “golosged” with the loss of the first syllable

hope this helps
Surname Interests

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Carandalex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your replies.  I had looked at the area, on page 1, covered by the census but a search did not find any dwellings called Losged.  I am Welsh, so I do know the meaning of Llanilltyd and have researched it, but again thank you.  The hint for Cwmcamlais was most helpful and a google search of that brought up a great old ordinance survey map.  From that I have narrowed the area to that around Forest Lodge and Forest Lodge Cottages as Llwynfedwen is the entry before and Blaenclyn the entry after Losged.  It might be a wild guess but Forest Lodge Farm and Cottages is the only farm of any great size in that area, although  Neuadd Cwmcamlais, further north, was also a large property.   It's just strange to have so many dwellings with the same name!  Also found that it was the area called Fforrest Fawr (the Great Forest).  Again thanks.

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol, just to add another couple of links that may nail this for you  :)
If you go to the Royal Commission of Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales and use their mapping tool http://map.coflein.gov.uk/ and zoom into Forest Lodge. You will notice a red dot on the property and if you use the 'select area' tool that looks like a broken dotted square, you will see that the property is described as follows;
FOREST LODGE;LOSCOED, LIBANUS
Site Description
Forest Lodge is a large farmhouse situated just south of the minor road running south of the A4215 at the foot of Fan Frynych, 3km east of Heol Senni. It was the centre of the 650 hectare Forest Lodge Estate, which was one of the largest enclosed farms in Powys, and is now within the Brecon Beacons National Park.

There is a large, whitewashed farmhouse with a pitched slate roof, built in the early nineteenth century. The huge barns had a waterwheel attached to drive threshing and corn-grinding machinery, the millstones remain on site. Other ranges of buildings inlcude a manager's house and a courtyard of workers' houses that were enlarged in the later nineteenth century. The mill dam also remains.

Also, if you search the old maps site http://www.old-maps.co.uk , the 1887 map says Forest Lodge and underneath in brackets -Losgoed

hope this helps a bit more

Margaret
Surname Interests

Offline cochiaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 March 14 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carandalex,

Losged, Losget or Losgoed is indeed Forest Lodge. I know because my grandparents were tenants in the farm cottages there from the 1940s to 1967. By then it was all called Forest Lodge.

You will see the Farmhouse, with the Dairy cottage in front of the farm buildings and then separate from these a block of cottages, now consisting of 4 cottages but at it's height, consisting of a square (with one side missing ) of 9 cottages.

The complex was started as a "model Farm" built to provide corn for the soon to be built Swansea to Brecon tramway after the Napoleonic Wars (1803–1815). Corn, lime etc would be sent to Swansea and coal would be sent in land. The Tramway was never finished, but the 3 model farms including Forest Lodge were very successful farms in their own right.

The final downfall of Forest Lodge was with the succession of owners post the 1970s and now the land has been sold off in parcels and what remains of the housing, is holiday lets,  even the farmhouse, with silly names like Bramble cottage. Your and my ancestors would be turning in their Graves!! The beautifully built farm buildings built to house the corn etc for the model farm are now getting into a poor state and are let out to various enterprises. All very sad!!

Cochiaid

Offline flowerbabe

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 October 16 19:48 BST (UK) »
Just picked up your query. Losget is actually Losged, and is now under Forest Lodge cottages and farm just outside Libanus. If you follow the road from Libanus to Sennybridge and then look for a turning to the left for Forest Lodge. It is aboout a mile down the lane. They are now turned into holiday cottages and can be found at Brecon Holidays. My wifes ancesters lived there in 1841 and 1851.

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 October 16 01:46 BST (UK) »
Interesting to see the long version of the name, Golosgoed; Golosg is 'charcoal' in Welsh, coed is forest or wood.