Author Topic: Robert CLATWORTHY/CLATEWORTHY  (Read 4405 times)

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Robert CLATWORTHY/CLATEWORTHY
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 15 February 14 03:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi GG
The crew list I forwarded on to you indicates the arrival port was Albany and departure port was Esperance..so it could be him.

A bit more information that I ran across. A cabin boy was the youngest crew member on board at age 16. However it was not uncommon for seamen to be as young as 16 and cabin boys were sometimes only 12 or 13. ??? ??? ???

Lilybell
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline ghostgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 15 February 14 04:36 GMT (UK) »
You're right Lilybell, he was from Esperance  - however, it could be his father who was also Robert. And it was in 1904, interestingly, that he got in trouble for violence against his wife. I might be able to check out some local shipping records as well, to find out more about that one! Thanks again, this is all great - I wonder why I didn't come across that one myself as it is in Australia  ???
Burt - Cornwall, Lancashire, Essex
Rayner - Middlesex, Essex
Franklin - Essex
Freestone - Cambridgeshire
Lodge - Essex
Soutar - Scotland
Sellers - Scotland, Vic, Australia
Blobel - Australia
Kluge - Australia
Williams - Cornwall and Lancashire

Offline ghostgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 15 February 14 04:40 GMT (UK) »
I have just noticed that on tha voyage in Nov 1904 Robert Clatsworthy had 3 children with him, in fact it looks like "3 ab children", which could be aboriginal, as Robert senior did have several children with his wife/partner, who was an aboriginal. And she had died earlier that year, which would explain why it's just him and the kids. One of those kids may be Robert Junior...
Franklin - Essex
Lodge - Essex
Soutar - Scotland
Blobel - Australia
Kluge - Australia

Offline clats

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 31 July 17 12:48 BST (UK) »
The two Roberts (father and son) are part of my family ancestry....have some info on both but have been trying to locate the younger Robert.....I even have an Ellis Island certificate for when he passed thru USA ....if you are still involved in this line of inquiry please post back to this....

Cheers Ray

Offline ghostgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 00:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray

I am still vvery involved in this line of enquiry! I also have that Esllis Island certificate, but would really like to share info with you. I have learned more since my original post as well.
Cheers
GG
Franklin - Essex
Lodge - Essex
Soutar - Scotland
Blobel - Australia
Kluge - Australia

Offline clats

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 07:53 BST (UK) »
G'Day GG....can't use PM as yet as I've insufficient posts....only recently come across this forum...previously tried Ancestry (huge waste of money), Genes Re-united (still a member), and I still have trees posted on both.....

Lost Robert Jr at Ellis Island and not sure if he was deported and left on SS Sidlaw Range....later found copy of letter 8 May 1936 from Vancouver, and contacted Veterans in Canada and tried other sources unsuccesfully....

Not too sure of Robert Snr after he was given 4 months hard labour in July 1904 for assaulting his wife in May 1903....Margaret died after she fell from a horse she was riding, this was in the month of May, but I don't know whether it was 1903 or 1904....

Reported in Northern Times (Carnarvon)  Friday 1st August 1924

An employee on Dalgety Downs, named Robert Clatworthy, aged about 35 gears, was found lying in the bush on the station early on Friday morning last week, suffering from severe internal injuries caused by his horse falling with him. He was brought to the homestead and a telephone message despatched to Carnarvon for medical assistance.
The message was received by Dr. Hansted on Saturday morning, we understand; and he lett per motor driven by Mr, E. Williams about 11 o'clock, and arrived at Dalgety Downs at 3 a.m. on Sunday. It was too late, however to do anything for the unfortunate sufferer.

Age stated maybe incorrect, and we feel that this maybe Robert Snr....

Cheers Ray

Offline clats

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 08:01 BST (UK) »
G'Day GG....further reading of these old news stories, I now believe that all incidences, the assault, the death of Margaret, and the sentencing of Robert, all occurred in 1904....

cheers Ray

Offline ghostgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 08:09 BST (UK) »
Hi again - I have sent you a pm, so maybe if you keep replying to me here you'll be able to pm me  :)  I saw that article too, and wondered if the age was wrong. One possible way to find out would be the death certificate I guess.

I know Robert senior was still living when Robert Jnr signed up for WWI, as he was listed as his next of kin.

The letters from Vancouver are in Robert Junior's service record. I also tried to contact the authorities over there with no luck! Can't even find out when he died. However I would be very surprised if he was able to raise the funds to return here himself.

Yep, you're right - Margaret Griffin died on 14 June 1904.

There is a file in the SRO in Perth relating to Robert junior's sister Lily, but you need permission from the Dept of Aboriginal Affairs to view it. She was the only surviving family member other than their Dad, therefore the most likely person Robert Jnr would have contacted, although as he couldn't read or write he'd have had to get someone else to do it for him. There was also his half brother James Griffin, but it doesn't seem that Robert contacted him either.

As you may know their other brother Joseph died in 1918 from the Spanish Influenza, contracted aboard the HMAT Boonah, which is another fascinating story in itself.

GG

Franklin - Essex
Lodge - Essex
Soutar - Scotland
Blobel - Australia
Kluge - Australia