Author Topic: Angus MacDonald and Margaret/Peggy MacDonald family, Stoneybridge, South Uist  (Read 10936 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Angus MacDonald and Margaret/Peggy MacDonald family, Stoneybridge, South Uist
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 July 15 16:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann Marie, I'm not sure how much this is going to help you ... all these darn MacDonalds!  ::)   ;D

Thanks Mystic................unfortunately it doesn't  ::)  ;D

I have been avoiding MacDonald's for years & I'm sure you know why  ???  ;D  ::)

They are probably related but records don't go back far enough sadly.

Not only do I have the Stoneybridge connection but I have the parents of my Angus died in Ardivachar, (Iochar/Iochdar).........the same area where Carnan is  :P

Anne Marie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rayjamgor

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Angus MacDonald and Margaret/Peggy MacDonald family, Stoneybridge, South Uist
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Dont know if this helps but i have death a cert for Margaret Kennedy ms McDonald (widow of Samuel Kennedy) and parents Angus McDonald deceased and Margaret McDonald ms McDonald in 30/03/1869 Parish of Laggan , Crathy or Orathy it says also.
Gordon, Taylor , Little, Clark, McInnes/McGinnes ,Roch,Roche, Millar/Miller, Welsh,Walsh, Stewart, Kennedy, McDonald, Brown, McLachlan , Orr, McMillan, McDonagh, Middleton, Robertson, Livingstone, Duff, Hunter, McClean, Campbell, Brown ,Cummings ,Roy, Wade ,Smith , Kelly,Kennedy,McDonald.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 November 15 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ray,

Worth keeping note of.......

Can you give the age of Margaret on death please?

Anne Marie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 11 December 20 14:29 GMT (UK) »
I know it's an old post but did you ever find this...

"v. ARCHIBALD OR ARCHY MACDONALD born on 13 Jan 1856 in Garryganichy, South Uist - died on 09 Jul 1919 in Stoneybridge, South Uist. He married ANN BOWIE (daughter of John Bowie and
Catherine MacEachen) on 6 Aug 1889 in Stoneybridge, South Uist (witnesses: John Bowie and Christina MacDonald). She was born on 29 Jan 1860 in South Uist. She died after 1919 (alive at time of husband's death)."

BOWIE ANN 69 - 1930 - 118/2 7 Howmore
MACDONALD ANN 69 - 1930 - 118/2 7 Howmore

Annie

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 12 December 20 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Crathy is right for Laggan parish, the last of the crofters there left when the Spey dam was constructed and fields flooded. They were mostly Catholic & their chapel at St Michael's across the Spey was taken down and re-erected at Pluscardine.

https://www.archaeologyreportsonline.com/PDF/ARO2_Spey_Dam.pdf

Bests,
Skoosh.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 12 December 20 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Crathie, Parish of Laggan, on the first edition of the Ordnance Survey six-inch map.
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=57.01516&lon=-4.33975&layers=5&b=1

Same area on modern map https://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NN5893 - the name survives but not the crofts shown on the old map.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 12 December 20 15:51 GMT (UK) »
The Spey dam was built in the 40's and the last of the Crathie folk, a Charlie Og MacPherson, left in the 50's.
 I'm told that before the war the crofts were mainly occupied by elderly brothers & sisters so the wee community died out. The chapel was built by MacNab of Sherrabeg, the tacksman, who was connected to MacDonnell of Keppoch.
 I fancy the Crathie folk would have been buried at the old kirkyard at Aberarder, adjacent to Aberarder Lodge on Loch Laggan. There is also a very old burial ground up the river Markie from Crathie called Riebalich? but that was for unbaptised weans, illegitimate folk & strangers. Not easy to find, a square left unplanted by conifers with some stone markers. Doubtful if that's on a map but the guys who planted the right bank of the Markie obviously knew it was there.

Skoosh.

Offline Rayjamgor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 12 December 20 17:08 GMT (UK) »
 Margaret Kennedy was 86 when she died in Crathy. Parents Angus McDonald and Ann MacDonald, informant was Angus McPherson, grandson. I managed to get to Crathie at the Dam, theres a gable end of one house still standing.
Gordon, Taylor , Little, Clark, McInnes/McGinnes ,Roch,Roche, Millar/Miller, Welsh,Walsh, Stewart, Kennedy, McDonald, Brown, McLachlan , Orr, McMillan, McDonagh, Middleton, Robertson, Livingstone, Duff, Hunter, McClean, Campbell, Brown ,Cummings ,Roy, Wade ,Smith , Kelly,Kennedy,McDonald.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 13 December 20 11:25 GMT (UK) »
interesting piece by a Graham Grant on the coffin road from Whitebridge, Loch Ness, over the bealach to Glen Markie & Crathie then to St Kenneth's burial ground, Aberarder, Loch Laggan,

https://southlochnessheritage.co.uk/coffin-road/

A few Crathie burials at Laggan Old parish kirkyard,

https://www.lagganheritage.com/lagganold.html

www.cushnieent.force9.co.uk/Moray%20Churches/logykenny.htm

Skoosh.