Author Topic: Robert LATTA b cir 1816  (Read 7512 times)

Offline Jenny Haydon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert LATTA b cir 1816
« on: Wednesday 12 February 14 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am researching a Robert Latta from Dumbarton born about 1816 who emmigrated to Australia and married Emily Sarah Williams in 1844. Does anyone have anything about this Robert - birth information or emmigration details. He was a shipwright.
Jenny

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert LATTA b cir 1816
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenny

Form sources I have seen, and research over time......Robert's death certificate in 1874, was informed by his son John (& Robert Jnr. was a witness to the burial). Robert's age at death was recorded as 58 yrs (b abt 1816). John informs that Robert's place of birth was "Glasgow Scotland" and his father was James LATTA Shipwright. John appears to have mistakenly given his  own mother's name as Robert Snr's mother. In answer to the question, how long had Robert been in the Australasian Colonies or States, John stated:, NSW 30 years. He said Robert was age 26  (b abt 1818) when he married his wife Emily.  John also informs there were 11 children of the marriage: 7 males, 3 females  all alive @ 1874 and 1 female deceased Yet the NSW BMD appear to identify 5 females and 8 males....

Do you have a source that states Robert was born Dumbartonshire?

Also wondering if you know what the middle name is of his eldest son, William G LATTA  born 1845 and who died 1889.

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Jenny Haydon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ambly
Thanks for your quick reply. Yes I have a copy of Robert Latta's death cetificate. The death notice in The Sydney Morning Herald – Saturday 12 September 1874 states Robert was a native of Dumbarton. His eldest son was William Gondie Latta which is on the tombstone of Robert, wife Emily and son William at Rookwood Cemetery. I was hoping to find out about his birth and immigration.
Jenny

Offline Jenny Haydon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 February 14 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ambly
That should have been William Goudie Latta as Robert's son. I don't know if Goudie has a connection to anyone in the family.
Jenny

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 February 14 12:31 GMT (UK) »
From SP the only Robert on record 1800-1820

05/04/1810   LATTA   ROBERT   ROBERT LATTA/HENRIETTA ALLISON FR773 (FR773)   M   DUMBARTON   /DUNBARTON   496/00 0030 0293

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline leonlatta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 April 14 07:11 BST (UK) »
Robert LATTA 1816-1874 married Emily Sarah LATTA (WILLIAMS) 1844 in St. Andrews Scots Church, SYDNEY NSW AUSTRALIA. Their first born was William Goudie LATTA 1845-1889.
Roberts parents are listed as James LATTA and Emma S LATTA.
I am trying to make a connection with my relatives Robert LATTA and Janet LATTA (LINDSAY) who came to Australia in 1863 and resided at 51 Princes St. SYDNEY NSW AUSTRALIA. From the records, Robert LATTA (1816-1874) also resided at the same address so I am assuming that they are relatives.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Regards - Leon LATTA

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 April 14 08:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Leon,

Have you an approx.age for the Robert Latta and Janet Latta (Lindsay) who arrived in Australia in 1863?
There is a couple with those names- Robert Latta and Jean Lindsay- marrying in Kilmarnock, Ayrshire in 1829 -
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XT2H-R4C
In case you are unaware, the names Jane/Jean/Janet were interchangable. And in fact this couple are on both the 1841 and 1851 Census at Kilmarnock with Robert's wife recorded as Janet Latta. I do not have free access to later Censuses so cannot establish if they are still in Scotland.

Looby :)

Offline leonlatta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 April 14 12:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Looby,
Robert LATTA would have been 58 and Janet (Jean) LATTA (nee LINDSAY) would have been 59 (Still not sure if these dates are correct).
The 1851 census in Kilmarnock listed 42 Glencarn Street as Robert 44, Janet 42, Agnes 21, Robert 9, William 7 and David 5.
Robert and Janet married in Kilmarnock, Ayrshire in 1829. Robert and Janet both died in Sydney Australia, Robert in 1882 age 85 years and Janet in 1896
I am actually looking for a connection between my Robert LATTA 1805-1882 and Robert LATTA 1816-1874, as I mentioned before they resided in the same address on arrival into Australia.
Thanks and regards - Leon LATTA

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 April 14 13:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that info Leon.
Now that we know  Robert Latta and Janet Latta were from Ayrshire it will help myself and other Rootschatters look at your Robert's background and see if we can find a connection to the other one! As you say if they lived at same address on their arrival it would appear their must be some sort of relationship.
Looby :)