Author Topic: Danslow - Surname  (Read 3096 times)

Offline erinb1983

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Danslow - Surname
« on: Sunday 16 February 14 00:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

I was just wondering if anyone else might have come across this surname in their research. This is actually information for my partner's family tree. I have a Charles James Danslow born in abt 1852 and who died in Victoria, Australia in 1900. I believe they came from the UK. Danslow seems a very unusual name to me and I am wondering if perhaps it was orginally Denslow?? If anyone could shed any light that would be great

Thanks
Erin

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Danslow - Surname
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 February 14 05:06 GMT (UK) »
hi there,

the surname has three basic lineages in UK ....   Liverpool,  west Derby, Marylebone /Pancras MDX from 1837 onwards.       To me , it could be a Polish or northern European surname at one point....

In earlier records there seems to be a family surname Densloe found Netherbury Dorset during the 1600 to 1675 period..........

best to work from your hubbie back with the lineage and prove each generation, and some sort of pattern will formulate (hopefully) of the marryins and where the family originates

good luck
 :)

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 February 14 07:55 GMT (UK) »
the surname has three basic lineages in UK ....   Liverpool,  west Derby, Marylebone /Pancras MDX from 1837 onwards

Erin, have you tried freebmd.org.uk?  Just enter the surname DANSLOW with no dates or places, and select 'All types'.  You should get a list of 114 birth, marriage and death entries from 1837 to 1969 in various registration districts.

The majority are in the London area, and nearly all of the rest are in Liverpool or West Derby which were both in Lancashire.  What confuses many people is that West Derby district was adjacent to Liverpool, and is nothing to do with the city of Derby in Derbyshire.  So I would say there are only two main groupings.

Freebmd only covers England and Wales, so you'd need to look elsewhere if your chap came from Scotland or Ireland.

Hope this helps,
Carol

OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline erinb1983

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 February 14 01:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to both of you. I will look at FreeBMD for sure. Liverpool and West Derby would fit with some of the things that I do know so it's worth looking into that area.It's always seemed an unusual name to me, so I just thought I would put it out there.

Thanks

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 February 14 06:43 GMT (UK) »
when u are doing some of this research it may be handy to use the regindex pdf found on genuki which is downloadable so you know the extent of parishes or places with the registration district.
Brett Langstons regindex compares off to the certificate references found on freebmduk site.....

also it may not be complete but do check the free reg and free cen links on the freebmduk site.....

the parishes may or maynot be found on familysearch.org...........contained within the reg index

I stated 3 branches even though 2 were neighbouring as the records such as probates may be found in either or one / tother county office etc etc......   they may in fact have registered the event[birth death or marriage] in one county and crossed into the neighbouring county to have the church event......[christening, burial or marriage ceremony]    ...that is something for you to discover..........

just be mindful that the census will have approximations of age known at last birthday, so the corresponding certificate references may be anything to 2 to five years out{1841}............

PS   there are 9 entries on the Lancashire OPC (Online Parish Clerk) site.... u can find addie in google which may fit into your tree somewhere :)

good luck in your quest

Offline erinb1983

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 February 14 06:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks I will keep all of that in mind

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 February 14 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Looking at freebmd, the two candidates for your man, on the info given are either

Oct/Nov/Dec 1856  Poplar  - Charles Henry Danlow
Or
Apr/May/June 1856 Chard, Somerset - Charles Denlow

Does he give his parents names on any records in Australia?

Then we can look for him on 1861 census and others, depending on when he went to Australia - do you know when?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline erinb1983

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I only know that he arrived in Australia sometime before 1878 as that's when he got married. His parents names are given on his death certificate as Charles James Danslow and Ann Lowe.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Is there evidence that he immigrated, or might the family have arrived in Australia before he was born?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)