Author Topic: Llewellyn family  (Read 5683 times)

Offline pate

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Llewellyn family
« on: Sunday 16 February 14 01:52 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the Llewellyns that would have been on the Isle of Man around the early 1700's.  Robert Looney married Elizabeth Llewellyn around 1727 at Kirk Lonan according to what I have seen reported in other ancestry records.  I think they were in the Ramsey area.  They ended up in Botetourt County, Virginia by the 1730's, where the Thomas Llewellyn family was.  Thomas was probably born around 1720 and may have been born on the Isle of Man and maybe a relative of Elizabeth Llewellyn.  Does anyone know of a Llewellyn that may have left the Isle of Man at about the same time as Robert Looney?  Or any Llewellyns in the area?  This is a wild guess but worth a try!  I appreciate any info anyone might have. 

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Llewellyn family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 February 14 04:40 GMT (UK) »
I have just checked the familysearch.org site...........   with Llewellyn 1600 - 1800 Isle of Man entered and there is one family structure there with a few other mentionings; which would be reflective of the International Genealogical Index done in 1984, and these same listings would appear on most sub sites such as FindMyPast and anc.

However, elsewhere on the site the fso claims it has only got marriages from a later period.
So realistically there are no microfilms for the period you seek....  which now only leaves one option >  contact the genealogy group on Isle of Man or go there and seek out materials......

http://www.iomfhs.im/

as they have been of late , doing all the transcriptions which if you become a member access will be granted to the database as I believe their database is not going to be franchaised.

best I can offer

fusion

:)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 February 14 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat! ;D

Resources for Isle of Man include:
iMuseum - www.imuseum.im (use the Explore Family History button)
ManxNoteBook - http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/

However, I can't see any Llewellyns there?
Certainly not in the list of Kirk Lonan marriages?
I can see some Looney marriages - but not in 1727?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 February 14 08:24 GMT (UK) »
I found a tree on Ancestry (but we know how accurate they can be?! ::) ) that shows:
Joseph Looney married to an Elizabeth Llewellyn?

Problem is that they have 6 different dates/years for the marriage!! ::)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 February 14 10:13 GMT (UK) »
I suspect you have hit the usual  junk records that plagued the old IGI (ie well meaning 'it should be there' entries copied without any thought by internet genealogists) - there is no such marriage on record (I've looked at all pre 1800 - see www.manxnotebook.com for dates of extant parish regs etc (beware the www.imusem.im records are a mix of Mormon records and some mid/late 19th C done in house with significant and unfortuneately undocumented gaps)
The Robert Looney who seems to have sired a large family in Virginia was discussed at length on
http://www.isle-of-man.com/genealogy/messageboard/index.pl - use google to search that site or post a query there as a very regular Looney researcher is active and did quite a bit of the work
some time ago - I gave some documentary evidence (land deeds etc) to strongly suggest he emigrated via Northern Ireland and derived from Ballasalla near Castletown - the Lonan/Maughold connection seems to derive from later incorrect connections with another Looney family who bought Ballagilley near Maughold church

ETA the 'Joseph' in armchair genealogists ancestry records is usually originally  'Jo' ie a very common short form for John found in many Manx records
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline pate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 February 14 00:29 GMT (UK) »
I thank all of you very much.  It appears that I may be following a trail that probably doesn't exist.  I have followed your suggestions and there doesn't seem to be any reason to believe there were any Llewellyns on the Isle of Man at that point of time.