Author Topic: The Manse Old Monklands  (Read 3125 times)

Offline jaellio

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Manse Old Monklands
« on: Sunday 16 February 14 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Was the Manse  at Old Monklands the home of the Minister of Old Monklands church (Presberyterian) in the 1850's .
Or was it a separate home as mentioned in
An Appreciation of, “Auld” Old Monkland, (Written by Bob Cameron c1986).
Reason I as is that my forebears , William Elliot & Jane were married at the Old Monklands manse by Rev John Johnston , Minister. 

Offline alanmack

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Manse Old Monklands
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 February 14 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi jaellio,
            . . . and welcome to RootsChat.

I too have something of an interest here as the Parochial Schoolmaster during this time was my GGM's father-in-law.(her second marriage, so not my line) He was also the district's Registrar from 1855, James Burdon by name. Somewhere on the internet I found an engraving of the School House, Church, etc. that might be of use to you. If you PM me your e-mail address I will pass it on with its caption. (copyright issues on the Forum).

Thank you for the tip about the book. I'll have to look for a copy.

Alan
Glamorgan - Carpenter, Chamberlain, Ellis, Watkins, Rees, Bevan
Wiltshire - Carpenter, Chamberlain, Ellis, Merrett
Essex - Burdon, Taylor, Menzies
Canada - Burdon, Parkinson
Australia - Carpenter, Burdon

Offline jaellio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 February 14 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi jaellio,
            . . . and welcome to RootsChat.

I too have something of an interest here as the Parochial Schoolmaster during this time was my GGM's father-in-law.(her second marriage, so not my line) He was also the district's Registrar from 1855, James Burdon by name. Somewhere on the internet I found an engraving of the School House, Church, etc. that might be of use to you. If you PM me your e-mail address I will pass it on with its caption. (copyright issues on the Forum).

Thank you for the tip about the book. I'll have to look for a copy.

Alan

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 February 14 08:59 GMT (UK) »
In the 1850s the Manse would definitely have been the minister's home. You can check by looking at the 1851 census.
In Scotland marriages did not have to be in church, and it was common for couples to marry either at the bride's home or in the church manse.
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Stornoway
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 14:11 GMT (UK) »
At that time it was extremely rare for a couple to marry within the main Church building of a Presbyterian Church. The two most common places for marriages to be held were either in the Ministers home ( the manse) or the brides own home. Whether the address given as the Manse Old Monkland refers to the home of the Minister of Old Monkland Church would need to be checked although it is probable

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 21:53 GMT (UK) »
The Manse was always the home of a minister, and it was not necessarily next door to the church building.

In the 1850s, there were several different Presbyterian denominations, and all their ministers could possibly have been provided with a manse.

However, if a marriage took place in 'the Manse of Old Monkland' it is most likely to be the Church of Scotland minister's home.

One way to check would be to look up Old Monkland in 'Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae'. This will tell you the names of the ministers of every parish, and the dates of their incumbency. So if you find from the 'Fasti' that Rev John Johnston was the incumbent on the relevant date, that would answer your question. The 'Fasti' are available to consult online; Google is your friend.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 21:36 GMT (UK) »
According to the Fastii entry Rev John Johnston was the Minister at Old Monkland (Church of Scotland) at the time.

Offline Roncac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 June 18 19:03 BST (UK) »

One way to check would be to look up Old Monkland in 'Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae'. This will tell you the names of the ministers of every parish, and the dates of their incumbency. So if you find from the 'Fasti' that Rev John Johnston was the incumbent on the relevant date, that would answer your question. The 'Fasti' are available to consult online; Google is your friend.

All ministers in the Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae are included in the Index of Scottish Presbyterian Ministers, as are the ministers of other Scottish Presbyterian Denominations. You can go here:
http://ecclegen.com/general-index-j/#Johnston,%20James

You will then have to scroll down to Johnson, John: 1842 Monkland and a click will take you to his Fasti entry.

Offline ThumbelinaPM

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 April 21 11:53 BST (UK) »
Hi, I would like to know who the minster at Old Monkland Manse was in June 1867 when my ancestors were married there. I have looked at the fasti but am not sure what order it is in so that I can find this out. Any tips anyone?
Many thanks