Author Topic: St James CofE LittleHorton/W.Bowling, Bradford  (Read 11470 times)

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
St James CofE LittleHorton/W.Bowling, Bradford
« on: Tuesday 18 February 14 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I'm looking for 1840s BMD information and possibly a photo of the above church. There might be records at Bradford archives which I will visit later but if anyone can add anything in the mean time it would be most appreciated.
Thanks
Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St James CofE LittleHorton/W.Bowling, Bradford
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 16:05 GMT (UK) »
The registers should be at Bradford Archives, and could well be among the collection of West Yorkshire parish registers at Ancestry. I don't have any names to check against, and the registers are a bit lacking in exact addresses, but I think they may be the ones listed as "Bradford, St James".

I can't help with a photo, I'm afraid, but Bradford Local Studies Library might be worth a try.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 16:20 GMT (UK) »
WYAS list the following churches in Bowling and/or Little Horton

Bowling - St John, St Luke (Broomfields), St Stephen and St Bartholomew (Ripleyville)
Little Horton - St John  - Ancestry has St Oswald (baptisms start 1902)

The only St James listed is in Bradford.  Bradford said to cover Bierley, Bolton, Bowling, Lidget Green and Undercliffe, therefore to add to the above:

Bierley - St John
Bolton - St James and St Lawrence (Bolton Woods)
Lidget Green - St Wilfred
Undercliffe - St Augustine
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 16:38 GMT (UK) »
I was basing my reply partly on the National Index of Parish Registers book, which lists:
Bradford St James, St James Street, Manchester Road, Bowling
Erected 1836-8
Parish created 1842 from Bradford St Peter
United with Bradford All Saints 1965
Demolished 1966

Comparing this with the West Yorkshire Archives list of parish registers, and especially the dates for which registers are available, I think this will be the one they show as Bradford, St James, with reference BDP27.

Arthur
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 16:43 GMT (UK) »
If that's the case, then Ancestry have baptisms from 1837, marriages from 1843 and no burials For Bradford, St James.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi guys,
thanks for the replies. Arthur, the one in Manchester road is the right one. The early O/S maps show a cemetery so I think somewhere there should be burial records, possibly linked to St Peters.
One of the main records I am searching for is a baptism of Fanny Greenwood Bland who was born in Queen Street 30 Nov 1847, right next to St James church. Unfortunately, because of children born before marriages, the family used the names Greenwood, Greenwood Bland, Bland, Greenwood Barker and Barker at various times. So research has not been easy.
Anyone know if Bradford Archives has re-opened?

Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 19:35 GMT (UK) »
One of the main records I am searching for is a baptism of Fanny Greenwood Bland who was born in Queen Street 30 Nov 1847, right next to St James church. Unfortunately, because of children born before marriages, the family used the names Greenwood, Greenwood Bland, Bland, Greenwood Barker and Barker at various times. So research has not been easy.

I can't see her in a quick look at Ancestry, but it looks as though a page of the baptism register has been left out there - it goes from 25 April 1847 at the foot of page 15 to 26 March 1848 at the top of page 17, in other words page 16 isn't there.

Anyone know if Bradford Archives has re-opened?

Yes they have, but check times beforehand as they're not open every day.

Arthur

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Arthur.

Dave

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 11:39 GMT (UK) »
There was two St James Church's in Bradford

http://catalogue.wyjs.org.uk/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=BD79057%2f3&pos=3

One on Wakefield road near Coventry Street Bowling Bradford (Bradford ring road)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bradfordlibraries/7203227408/

One off Mill lane (Manchester road one- It was where the Corner of Mill Lane and Nelson Street is now where a company Hire Power now stands ) at St James square (This had no burial ground but had a Mill pond at its West side)

There is a photo in WYAS Bradford taken in 1970's where this church stood, so the church was pulled down before then.

http://catalogue.wyjs.org.uk/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=BD78065%2f1%2f18%2f7&pos=16
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth