Author Topic: St James CofE LittleHorton/W.Bowling, Bradford  (Read 11486 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: St James CofE LittleHorton/W.Bowling, Bradford
« Reply #27 on: Friday 21 February 14 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked BT's at Borthwick York uni ?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 21 February 14 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Not for this one but I have been a couple of times. I found parking was expensive for what I needed and finding the right documents wasn't easy. The staff were very helpful though. The originals often have notes by the parson that are not on the Bishops transcripts. I chased the wrong relative for years until I found the baptism record that showed in the margin he had been born 30 months prior.

Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 21 February 14 09:23 GMT (UK) »

If you got Fanny's birth certificate the baptism would not be that important as info, I'm the opposite as my Granddad b 1867 (Yeh! I'm an old fa*t) by census baptism Jan 1868 was not registered for birth or I've never found a birth certificate

I park by the church in Hesslington free and 5 min walking it across the village green to the library, I think its 2 hours or maybe 3 hours free parking or the otherway on the housing estate off University road on Thief lane free parking all a day about 10 min walk by road or 6 min across the fields. (See Google maps) pick a sunny warm day though.  :)
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline GrandadsSixpence

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 20:53 BST (UK) »
Found this pic in a book I have about Horton Hall Bradford, think this might be the church to which you are referring?

Wend
Yorkshire - England, Holmes, Brumfitt, Walker, Staves,
Sussex - Hicks, Perren, Veness, Dicker
Hampshire - Hicks, Bacon
Cornwall - Hicks

Offline GrandadsSixpence

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 21:11 BST (UK) »
Here is a snapshot of the map I have showing the church location.
Yorkshire - England, Holmes, Brumfitt, Walker, Staves,
Sussex - Hicks, Perren, Veness, Dicker
Hampshire - Hicks, Bacon
Cornwall - Hicks

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 23:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Wend,
great photo, just what I wanted.

Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Offline IHM

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 26 November 16 02:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi guys.  This post probably comes too late to be of any use to you. You seem to have bottomed your queries.  However, for what it is worth:

I can confirm that the photograph produced by Wend is indeed of St James' parish church in West Bowling/Little Horton, Bradford and is the one indicated on the map also produced.

I was born in 1950 and as a child from the mid 1950s until the early '60s I worshipped at St James. For a time, until my lack of any talent was discovered, I was a choirboy there.  I was baptised at the church.  My parents, my father's siblings and my paternal grandmother also worshipped there.

I can well remember the church grounds.  I used to play there with the Sunday-School.  At the time there were no gravestones nor any indications that there ever had been.  I cannot say with absolute certainty that there was never a cemetery in the church grounds but I would be very surprised if there ever had been.  I think that the reference to St Peter's Bradford would have been to Bradford's then parish church, now its cathedral.  I do know that during my time with the church there were funeral services held in St James' church.

When I presented for confirmation (by which time I had moved with my parents to another parish in Bradford)  I recall that I was required to prove my baptism.  A little research at the time showed that the parish records for St James had been transferred to the neighbouring church of All Saints in Little Horton Lane from where I obtained the required certificate.  All Saints is still a lively church but is now combined with the neighbouring St Oswald's.

I don't know if this is of any use to you.  It has however jogged my memory and brought back some happy (and some sad) times.

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 26 November 16 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi IHM,
thanks for your reply. Since posting this topic I have viewed the baptism archives for St James and found that the records for some particular years that I need are missing (Ancestry records 1847-1851). I will now have a look at the ones for All Saints and St Oswalds.
Thanks
Dave

Offline jimcracker

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 11:05 BST (UK) »
hi the picture could be wrong i lived on the same square i left home in 1968 the church was still there i was in the choir for many years till my voice broke when i was about 11

i was a soloist a few times the church had no graves the spire was off long before i lived there

i have pictures of the church inside out from back and the front from about where my house was

jimcracker