Author Topic: MCCARROLL MCCARDLE STRACHAN CALDWELL COX family tree help needed  (Read 9231 times)

Offline paul_mc

• RootsChat Senior
  • Scottish Guy researching his roots....
    • View Profile
MCCARROLL MCCARDLE STRACHAN CALDWELL COX family tree help needed
« on: Tuesday 18 February 14 23:36 GMT (UK) »
I'm tracing my family tree. My family name is mccarroll but during research I've discovered that my great grandfather was born Mccardle and then decided to change the name. My family are from Hamilton Lanarkshire. I'm looking for any help possible to help with some brick walls im up against. My grandmother comes fromt he strachan family also from hamilton
McCARROLL, MCCARDLE, COX, STRACHAN, CALDWELL, RAMAGE, WOOD, JOHNSTON

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: MCCARROLL MCCARDLE STRACHAN CALDWELL COX FAMILY TREE HELP NEEDED
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome

Without christian names/birthyears etc it's impossible to help you
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MCCARROLL MCCARDLE STRACHAN CALDWELL COX family tree help needed
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 February 14 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul

As I know something about your family from the other threads, I'll try to help with these walls too  :)

However, as Carole says, it's difficult to help without more info. Can you give full names and dates of your great grandfather  and any other members of your brick wall families?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline paul_mc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 February 14 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi you have been fantastic already... thank you so much....ok here goes......

Hugh Heaney (1854 - 1936 b. Port Rush, Ireland) married Mary Ann Mulholland (1861 - 1896) I have her parents details which leads me to believe she was born in scotland. Her parents would be William Mulholland (B. Dec 1 1825, Glasgow) and Mary Browlie (b. 1830)

Hughs parents were Hugh Heaney (Died 1875 - I dont have his birthdate) and Martha Peacock (1835 - 1909) Martha was married twice - First to Samual Mccallum and then to Hugh Heaney, She died in Hamilton, Lanarkshire.

Hugh and Mary had several children who I have listed.

Alex (b. 1884) married rose crownie - no further information

Martha (b. 1887 d. 1978) she married Alexander Heaney who was actually her cousin - I believe they moved to australia with several of their children. Again i have no evidence it was actually her cousin she married.

Hugh (b 1888) - I have no further information

Sarah (b 1889) Had a son Thomas - I have no info on the father or any info on Thomas afterwards

Letitia (Letty) (b. 1891) - Married Mayor McDonald - No further info

Mary (1892 - 1958) Mary is my great grandmother.  I have plenty of information about Mary as she is my family line however there are a few mysteries I need assistance with...... Mary had several children my gran being one of them

Mary married twice 1st John Strachan in 1911 and then 2nd David Telford in 1943
Mary and John had 10 children
Peter Strachan (B. 1912)
Rose Strachan (b. 1913)
Jean Strachan (b. 1915)
Martha Strachan (b. 1917) My gran
John Strachan (b. 1919)
Edward Strachan (b. 1919 - Johns twin) Edward didnt marry and was killed in action in burma during WW2
William (b. 1920)
James (1926)
Margaret (1928 - died 1949 - suicide)
Archibald (b.1928 - dies one year later)

My gran told me that when they were young her parents couldnt afford to feed them all and decided to let one child go. I found this a bit strange but sure enough Jean was sent to live in New Zealand - I know she went in 1925 and eventually married Allan Hector Caldwell and had 2 sons Terence and Graham - However I'm unable to establish why she was picked to leave scotland, who she left with, what happened to her once she left etc...... and I'm unsure how i could get this information.....

Lizzie (b 1895) Married John McDonald - No more information available

It appears when Mary died Hugh went on to remarry a  Mary Callaghan - on the records her name has kellochan in brackets next to it - not sure if that's just for pronunciation reasons. Her birth 1867 and death 1901 - her death certificate states she died from shock of childbirth but I only have one child listed as hers and that's Edward born 1899?  Edward went on to marry Janet Prentice and i have no further information on him.......

If anyone could help I would be extremely grateful.... and thanks again to those who have helped already I'm sorry if i have wasted anyones time......

Paul

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 February 14 10:16 GMT (UK) »
One paragraph at a time  ;D

Hugh Heaney (1854 - 1936 b. Port Rush, Ireland) married Mary Ann Mulholland (1861 - 1896) I have her parents details which leads me to believe she was born in scotland. Her parents would be William Mulholland (B. Dec 1 1825, Glasgow) and Mary Browlie (b. 1830)

According to her marriage cert, Mary Ann Mulholland's parents were a William Mulholland and Mary Quin.  The 1891 has her born in Ireland. I don't see her on the 1881 census so far, so maybe she was still in Ireland

Family search has this marriage for the couple:

17 Nov 1853, Loughgall, Armagh, Ireland William Mulholland to Mary Quin, Fathers - Samuel Mulholland and John Quin:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGXG-331

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 February 14 10:25 GMT (UK) »

My gran told me that when they were young her parents couldnt afford to feed them all and decided to let one child go. I found this a bit strange but sure enough Jean was sent to live in New Zealand - I know she went in 1925 and eventually married Allan Hector Caldwell and had 2 sons T* and G* - However I'm unable to establish why she was picked to leave scotland, who she left with, what happened to her once she left etc...... and I'm unsure how i could get this information.....

Suggest you ask about her on the New Zealand Board:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?board=299.0

There are some very helpful members there who know their country's records  :)

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 February 14 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Martha (b. 1887 d. 1978) she married Alexander Heaney who was actually her cousin - I believe they moved to australia with several of their children. Again i have no evidence it was actually her cousin she married.

There is a record for a Martha (aged 38), houswife,  leaving from London for Sydney in October 1925 on the Demosthenes. Children are Jeanie (18); Lettie (13); Mary (9); Alex (7); M* (3); M* (1); L* (1). Address was 29 North End, Cambusbarron, Stirling.

Again for more information after this, you'd best ask on the Australian Board:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?board=165.0

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 February 14 11:08 GMT (UK) »

Alex (b. 1884) married rose crownie - no further information

Hugh (b 1888) - I have no further information

Sarah (b 1889) Had a son Thomas - I have no info on the father or any info on Thomas afterwards

Letitia (Letty) (b. 1891) - Married Mayor McDonald - No further info

Lizzie (b 1895) Married John McDonald - No more information available

Edward born 1899  went on to marry Janet Prentice and i have no further information on him.......

It is likely to be expensive but you need to get their marriage certificates and do checks on the 1911 for info on them.  Children are difficult because not much information is given and it is often guess work.  SP does not publish online  deaths less than 50 years,  marriages less than 75 years and births less than 100 years. These can only be obtained by order from the website or by visiting one of the Scottish Registrars offices.

Good luck with these

Gadget

Offline paul_mc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 February 14 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for helping me with this.... I had a list of the childrens names but no idea how they got from scotland to australia.....

I really appreciate all your hard work

Paul