Author Topic: Emily Harriet Norman  (Read 13098 times)

Offline F C Webb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Emily Harriet Norman
« on: Friday 21 February 14 00:19 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find out what became of Emily Harriett Norman
Born 17th June 1848 at Valletta Malta to Father: William Norman and Mother: Eliza Haynes married at Derbyshire in England on the 9th January 1845.

The mother Eliza Haynes brought her three surviving children (Jessie Norman, William Norman & Emily Harriett Norman) to Australia arriving in Melbourne November 1857 on the ship Coleroon, her husband William Norman did not come with them at the time as he was serving in the Royal Navy at Malta.

I have been able to fully trace the lives of  William Norman and his wife Eliza and their children Jessie Norman (one of my paternal Great Grandmother's)  and her brother William but  Emily disappears from all records in Australia and the UK after her arrival in 1857.

The only lead is that one of the witnesses to Emily's brother William's marriage to Catherine McKinley at Beechworth in Victoria in 1871 was a Emily H Weir.

So there is a strong possibility that she married a Weir somewhere but this is still conjecture, can anyone shed any light on this person?

Best regards ...... Frank

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Emily Harriet Norman
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 February 14 04:25 GMT (UK) »
Do you have Eliza's 1878 death certificate?
It should show living & deceased children.

NORMAN Eliza (b.LONDON) d. age 56yrs 1878 #7735
Father: John HAYNES

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 February 14 06:07 GMT (UK) »
Could you please give her sister's married name as it may give a clue.  Did her immediate family stay in Australia?

However, as Merlin says, the best way to get more info is her mother's death certificate which hopefully should show children and whether still living.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 February 14 06:17 GMT (UK) »
Could you please give her sister's married name as it may give a clue.  Did her immediate family stay in Australia?

However, as Merlin says, the best way to get more info is her mother's death certificate which hopefully should show children and whether still living.

Judith

This looks like the sister's marriage

NORMANJessie
To WOOD David Elder
Her Birth Place MALTA
# 4465

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 February 14 06:37 GMT (UK) »
NSW DEATH
EMILY A NORMAN, FATHER WILLIAM, MOTHER ELIZABETH, AT PADDINGTON SYDNEY
REF# 4763/1884

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 February 14 06:39 GMT (UK) »
So this would be her death?

Victoria 1930, #39
Jessie WOOD,77
Death Place:   Adelaide, Victoria
Father's Name:   Norman William
Mother's name:   Unknown Eliza

Seems an odd annotation for the place of death but my source is not as good as the CDs.

I assume you have Jessie's Electoral roll addresses.

Jessie's death notice doesn't mention her siblings  :(
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/4061824

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 February 14 06:51 GMT (UK) »
Seems the above Emily A Norman was born Emily H NORMAN in 1860 Sydney, so not the right one?
Odd her parents were same name?

Neil

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 February 14 06:56 GMT (UK) »
Odd coincidences with this family as other births recorded to them, first in Newcastle NSW 1857 followed by 4 more.

Neil

Offline F C Webb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 February 14 07:50 GMT (UK) »
I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the responses so far.

1. Yes I have both William Norman & Eliza Norman's death entries and Emily Harriett Norman is listed as living on both (Eliza died in 1878 at Beechworth  & William in 1881 in Melbourne), their daughter Fanny is listed as dead and she died on Malta.

2. Jessie Norman did marry David Wood (the photographer in South Melbourne) as Judith rightly found out, Jessie Wood died in 1930 in Melbourne and is buried in the Boroondara cemetery, I have her death certificate but of course it's no help.

3. Strange that there are several other birth records with same parents names but I definitely know that Emily was born at Valletta Malta from family records but there is also an excellent  British family history site dedicated to Malta that lists all the Norman births correctly and match the death certificates of William & Eliza    http://website.lineone.net/~aldosliema/residents4.htmhttp://website.lineone.net/~stephaniebidmead/other%20sites.htm

4. I have checked Trove but there is no mention (at least what the OCR routine has picked up) of an Emily Norman marriage that fits in the range 1857 - 1900.

5. The clue still seems to be the witness to William Norman's (Emily's brother) marriage to Catherine McKinley at Beechworth in 1871 where one witness is Emily H Weir.

6. Her Brother William and  sister Jessie Wood's lives are fairly well documented but there is no mention of their sister in any newspaper notices.

7. There are several Normans' in South Australia and in particular an Emily Norman who was born almost in the same year as Emily Harriett Norman who marries a William Knightly in 1866, an excellent match except on Ancestry there are two public family trees that detail William Knightly and this Emily Norman was born in Cambridgeshire around 1846 - 1847 which matches the FreeBDM entry so not the right Emily.

Thanks for all the help so far.