Author Topic: Emily Harriet Norman  (Read 13137 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Emily Harriet Norman
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 23 February 14 21:13 GMT (UK) »
hi
Your search has been  thorough indeed ;D
Emily WEIR who died  in England remains a possible as well as the Kew Asylum Emily NORMAN.

One wonders, if the Emily H. WEIR who was a witness at William's marriage was not his sister, then who was she? Have you made inquiries as to who else she may have been? It may help confirm or eliminate her from your search.

The records in Australia especially Victoria & NSW are very good but not perfect, I've already traced three family members one of whom is buried in the MGC that do not show up in the Vic BDM index, not to say they are not in the original ledgers though.

FC WEBB

Yes, I believe there are omissions from the death and other  registrations. Many records seem to have not reached the registrar in early days for one reason or another.

Of course, if you are talking about  memorials, not interments at a any cemetery, it is not unusual for a person to die and be be interred anywhere is the world, and yet be memorialised with family elsewhere.

Sue 
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline F C Webb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 23 February 14 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sue;

The Emily H Weir is almost as enigmatic as the Emily H Norman!

I've gone through all the possible Emily, and Emma H Weir's without any success either, given the other Weir's in my family I'm still sure that there is a connection and Les Horn in the UK has been helping me with the Weirs but so far nothing.

I'm not one to "run up the white flag" too early and I only post on  forums seeking help when I really feel I'm running out of options.

It looks like I'll just have to pay the $A31 to get a copy of the death entry for Emily Weir who died at Woonona in NSW in 1898 and failing that the Emily Weir who died at Northampton WA in 1946 (although this is a longshot) as these look like the only possibilities at this stage, there are no newspaper entries that I can find that shed any light on these Emily Weirs.

I've attached a JPEG of the Emily H Weir signature on William's marriage entry 1871 and an example of an ornamental letter H, so I'm pretty sure that the middle initial is the letter H.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 24 February 14 00:31 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure the surname is WEIR....doesn't look like it to me but then I am often wrong ;)

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 24 February 14 06:59 GMT (UK) »
Could it be Wise?

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 24 February 14 07:48 GMT (UK) »
 I thought 'Wise' as well, but like cando I'm often wrong ;)

Joy
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 24 February 14 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Me too!  :)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 24 February 14 11:43 GMT (UK) »
There is this marriage from  FreeBMD - while I don't think it's relevant I thought it worth recording;

Emily Harriet NORMAN
Date of Registration:   Jul-Aug-Sep 1895
Registration district:   Cosford, Suffolk
Vol 4a, p 1131
Records on Page:   
Frederick Henry Simpson

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 24 February 14 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Hmm ???

Here's another long shot:

Death 1907 #4882 Registered Granville, NSW
Emily LAWSON
Father's Name:   William
Mother's name:   Eliza

Marriage, Victoria, 1897 #863
Emily Hart WISE
Spouse Name:   LAWSON Edwd Loraine

Thought it might be worth recording as perhaps "Hart" is short for Harriet  :-\ -  can't see any other records for either of these people though. :(

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline F C Webb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 24 February 14 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps I'm reading into the name  "Weir" because of the possible connection through the other family Weir's but I've looked at the name carefully again and certainly the first letter is unmistakeably a W and I thought that the third letter is an "i", dotted in the same manner and location as the i in Emily, the last letter looks more like an "r" than an "e" to me also.

Nevertheless it's a good to have alternative opinions and the Wise name is something to go on especially the lead that Judith has found with Lawson.

I've come to a deadend on the Weir's in the available BDM records apart from looking into the ones I've mentioned before.

I have looked some time ago at the Emily Harriett Norman in England who married Frederick Henry Simpson in 1895  and that particular Emily was born in 1870, also the family Emily would have been aged 47 at that stage and Emily & Frederick went on still having children in 1911 by which stage the family Emily would have been aged 63.