Author Topic: Mary DeRome b. 1796 Kendal to Elizabeth DeRome  (Read 7021 times)

Offline NNR

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary DeRome b. 1796 Kendal to Elizabeth DeRome
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 March 14 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Telinlethaed,

Thanks for your research. I'd been aware of quite a lot of George C's run ins with the demon drink and the law, but hadn't seen these ones yet. And hadn't seen any relating to Mary either. We'd call them a 'troubled family' these days, I suppose.

I'd seen the article on young George's death, but hadn't seen anything relating to the incident wherein he was blinded before. So tragic. The Coultons are a very sorry lot...

Stephen
Kirkburton Bray Morton Charlesworth Kay Swallow Moorhouse Walker Mathewman
Penistone Micklethwaite
Liverpool Moore Durning
Formby Crookham Birchall Dobb Fleetwood
Childwall Fleetwood Knowles Ireland
Kendal Coulton Derome
Essex Cooper Robinson
Warrington Bleasdale Atherton
Suffolk Death
Lewes Spurgeon Horton
East Lothian Paxton Durkie
Edinburgh Blaikie Rollock Livingstone
Chirnside Paxton
Kilbarron Young Donohue Stapleton Meagher Fogarty Gleeson Meara Nevin
Kilsheelan Hennessy
Galway Nevin

Offline NNR

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary DeRome b. 1796 Kendal to Elizabeth DeRome
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 March 14 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Here's some more on the Coultons...

"2nd March 1816: March 2nd. On Sunday, Joseph Taylor, joiner, and George Coulton, shearman [a cloth
shearer], had a quarrel in an inn in this town when Joseph put George on the fire. They afterwards
had a fight outside and did each other damage. "
'Did each other damage'. Sounds quite brutal. Anyway, I haven't actually found this article in the
paper *at the time* and my only reference to it comes from 50 years later when the Gazette looks
back at 'events of 50 years ago'. I wonder what the 79 year old George made of seeing his youthful
exploits relived? You can, I assume, imagine my shock at finding this article the first time 'round.
It was a full day before I realised it was a 'look back' account. I thought the near-octagenerian
had been up to his old tricks again!

Westmorland Gazette - Saturday 19th 1831
"Convictions...Committed to the House of Correction since our last, George Coulton, for want of
sureties to keep the peace; and James Nicholson an apprentice, for abstenting himself from his
master, Mr. James Webster - three weeks."

14th April 1838 Westmorland Gazette, Local Inteligence: George Coulton and Elizabeth Fawcett were
each fined 5s. for being drunk and disorderly.

10th August 1839, Westmorland Gazette, Kendal Petit sessions: Windows. John Smith appeared before
tho Magistrates to inform them that his window had been broken on the 20th July., and that he had
reason to believe from a witness he had brought with him that it had been broken by one George
Coulton. William Clifford, the witness alluded to, said that he saw the window of John Smith broken
on Friday, the 26th of July, by George Coulton, who was conducting himself in a very disorderly
manner. He did not know whether Coulton was sober or not, but saw him break the window with his
foot. John Robinson, painter and glazier, said that he had been employed to put several panes (nine
he believed) of glass into Smith's window. He had been informed they had been broken by George
Coulton. His charge for repairing them was 4s. 4d. Coulton not being present, the Magistrates agreed
that he should pay the 4s. 4d. together with 7s. costs, in default of which he should be committed
to the House of Correction two months.
Kirkburton Bray Morton Charlesworth Kay Swallow Moorhouse Walker Mathewman
Penistone Micklethwaite
Liverpool Moore Durning
Formby Crookham Birchall Dobb Fleetwood
Childwall Fleetwood Knowles Ireland
Kendal Coulton Derome
Essex Cooper Robinson
Warrington Bleasdale Atherton
Suffolk Death
Lewes Spurgeon Horton
East Lothian Paxton Durkie