Author Topic: Flett's Of Finnichty  (Read 12826 times)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Flett's Of Finnichty
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 February 14 01:06 GMT (UK) »
Good luck and good night. ;D

Offline Freya Ellingsen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We build our pedigrees based on the proofs we find
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 February 14 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Night to u I'm about to have lunch :D
Brooker, Creagh Curran, Ellingsen, Evans, Hatton, Ryan, Slade, Campbell, Flett

Offline Freya Ellingsen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 01 March 14 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have info on a Alexander Bullen Flett and family of Findochty ???
I know he married a Margaret Bullen Cowie?, one son George b. 1841 no other info sorry.

Thanks

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 01 March 14 08:59 GMT (UK) »
The following christening dates can be found on FamilySearch to the couple Alexander Flett and Margaret Cowie -
William Flett 7th Jul 1824
Jane           6th Jul 1826
Alexander*    10th Sep 1828
Ann             21st Oct 1831
Helen           2nd May 1832
John            4th Jul 1834
Simon          21st May 1836
Alexr.*        28th Apr 1839
All are at Rathven, Banff. * Note there are 2 Alexanders - first may have died. I could not find a George.

There is a " User Submitted " Tree on FamilySearch for the above Jane Flett - which gives Alexander Flett snr's christening date as 16th May 1802 , his parents being a William Flett and Jean Mair.- https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XY66-5R2  This information has been provided by a user to the site and cannot be taken as definite proof of Alexander's origins. You would be best to double check yourself with original documents.

Looby :)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 01 March 14 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Have you found the family on the 1841 Census?
Confusingly, I think there could be 2 couples Alexander Flett and Margaret Cowie married and having children in Rathven during this period ::).
Some of the children in my last post appear to belong to one couple Alexander and Margaret Flett and the rest to a different couple Alexander and Margaret Flett. Both families are in Findochty.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Fletts Of Finnichty
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 01 March 14 09:19 GMT (UK) »
A hythe or hithe is a small harbour or port. The site of the present Findochty harbour is shown on the first edition of the Ordnance Survey six-inch map http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=57.69916&lon=-2.90324&layers=B000000000F as a small bay named Broad Haven. Sea walls were built in 1883 to turn it into a harbour. You can use the slider labelled <> at top left to switch from the mid-Victorian map to the present-day satellite photograph.

I speculate that Broad Haven and Broad Hythe are synonymous. You would hardly have both a place named Broad Hythe and a place named Broad Haven in a place as small as Finnichty. If so, then it suggests that your Fletts probably lived in one of the cottages on the shore to the south of what is now the harbour.

You could start with the 1878 Valuation Roll and trace back in the earlier VRs until you find that the Fletts 'Cornal' are described as tenants rather than proprietors. Then go to the registers of sasines and find the record of the sale of the house to a Flett 'Cornal'. Once you have this, you should be able to get an exact description and plan of the property, which will allow you to pinpoint exactly where it is.

The earliest VRs are about 1855-6, but the oldest ones don't list every individual house. If the Fletts 'Cornal' bought the cottage before the earliest VR that does list houses separately, you would have to search the indexes to the Registers of Sasines year by year. I do not know whether the Registers of Sasines would include tee-names.

According to the Statistical Account of Scotland, Findochty belonged to Lord Findlater. He was one of the family of the Earls of Seafield. The Seafield Estate papers are in the National Records of Scotland, catalogue GD248/ (I gather there are two-and-a-half tons of them!). They should contain records of rents and possibly estate plans which might or might not show who rented which cottage or tenement. ('Tenement' here in the sense of a piece of ground rather than in the modern sense of a block of Victorian city flats.)

If you are going to do this, it might be useful first to extract from the various census a list, in order, of who lived in which house in Broad Hythe in which year, and try to work out in which decade a new tenant came in. Then try to match the changes of tenancies with the changes in the VRs and census. I have done this for a similar small fishing village in an effort to work out the succession of occupants for each house - but I only had to work with about a dozen houses, and I know that it was only built in 1852 because there is a coat of arms on the building telling me so.

The 1851 census of Findochty is singularly unhelpful - the addresses are all 'Fronting the Sea' or 'Road leading East', 'Road leading south' or 'Road leading West', 'Leading to the Brae', 'Fronting the North', 'Opposite the Shore' and 'Road leading to Shore'.

If you want to get back still further, you will have to look elsewhere. Findochty was founded in 1716 by fishermen from Fraserburgh, but the Fletts are said to have come there from Shetland. There is an excellent Shetland genealogy site at http://www.bayanne.co.uk/Genealogy/Gene.html

Good luck! I suspect you may need it - and that you will need either lots of patience and determination, or the services of a professional Edinburgh-based searcher.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Freya Ellingsen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 01 March 14 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for your advice.

Cheers,

Fran :)

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 11 April 14 21:33 BST (UK) »
An Alexander Flett and his wife Margaret Cowie in Findochty have descendants in my native East Neuk of Fife. In 1857 their son John Flett, 22, married Margaret Wilson of Portknockie. John and Margaret had a daughter called Mary Flett who in 1876 married fisherman Robert Horsburgh of Pittenweem in Fife. They were married at Findochty but moved to Pittenweem. The story I was told by a descendant in Fife was that Mary Flett wrote back to her parents in Findochty saying how great things were in Pittenweem, so they put all their belongings into the family boat, sailed round the coast and settled in Pittenweem.

John Flett died in 1889 at East Shore, Pittenweem, and his widow Margaret Wilson died there in 1907. After the move to Pittenweem their daughter Isabella Flett married Pittenweem fisherman Alexander Wilson (in 1888). They were ancestors of my sister's late mother-in-law in Pittenweem!

Harry

Offline Freya Ellingsen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 12 April 14 09:26 BST (UK) »
Harry,
  Thanks very much for that info! We were wondering where they had gone as they were not on the Findochty census after a period of time! Do you know if there are still burial sites there in Pittenweem?
I did make a trip to Findochty last year and found the grave yards riddled with distance relatives of the My Flett's  but not the ones I was looking for..I live in Australia and would love to know more info if u have it.
I was looking for a home place or any distance relatives?

Cheers,

Fran