Author Topic: COLEY one name study  (Read 1260 times)

Offline Imogen555

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
COLEY one name study
« on: Saturday 22 February 14 18:16 GMT (UK) »
I am researching the Coley family, of which I am a part, and about 20 years ago, long before I was remotely interested in family history, I was contacted by a Dorothy Coley Ralph and went to visit her at her home in St John's Wood, London.  She was performing a one name study on Coley, without any internet resources (!!) and wanted to meet other Coleys and share her findings.  She had amassed a huge amount of information on all Coleys in the UK.  She has died in the meantime and now I am wondering if anyone can help with locating this material?
I'm pretty sure she was born Dorothy Coley, and married a Mr Ralph.  I believe I've found her in the death index (1999) and getting the certificate may be marginally useful.
I guess I need to find her offspring but I'm just wondering if anyone here knows anything about this study.......?

Thanks
Coley / Norris / Quigley-Tweedie / McIntyre / Stewart / McLeod / Adamson / Munsie / Trenholm

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: COLEY one name study
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 February 14 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hester555

the study doesn't appear to have been registered with the Guild of one name studies so may not be an 'official' one, just something she did for herself.

Once you have the death cert and are sure you have the correct lady, you could check to see if there is a will. If there is, family might be mentioned as well as her research.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Viaduct

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 September 17 19:35 BST (UK) »
My name is John Coley, I was born in Manchester in 1948. My father was Stanley Coley, his mother and father died when he was very young so his family line is hard to find. He had a brother James who lived in Manchester all his life and worked at Richard Johnson and Nephew, also a sister Amy originally lived in Manchester then moved to Canterbury in the 1960s married name was House. His wife was Doris nee Allen also of Manchester later Hamilton Canada. Any information would be most welcome.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hi John

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

Imogen555 was last online here in 2016 but as long as her email address hasn't changed should receive a notification that you have posted and hopefully come back soon.

If you don't get an immediate reply and need help with a specific look-up rather than a lot of general help, then maybe post a look-up request on our Beginners Board.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/beginners/

People there will be able to help you with census and parish register look-ups. Most people though use www.freebmd.org.uk as a first port of call for birth marriage and death indexes and a guideline for dates etc.

You might also find the birth and death indexes on the GRO site useful (www.gro.gov.uk - you need to register but it's free and very helpful) as they include information from before 1911, not available on the published indexes on the internet.

If you haven't done so already, please take a moment to read our guidelines for posting

http://www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php

as we have a clearly defined 'no living people' policy. Even posting information about yourself may not be in your best interests.

And how to get the best posible outcome of a look-up request

http://www.rootschat.com/help/posting_best.php

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea