Author Topic: A 30+ year brickwall - William Vaus?  (Read 14139 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: A 30+ year brickwall - William Vaus?
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 13 March 14 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan:

I posted a thread in the Old Photographs forum about the Vaus/Cooper "family bible" sheet, to see if anyone could date the handwriting, so my mind strayed a bit from this thread.  A snippet of the sheet can be viewed here in case anyone would like to see my original source document.   :)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=680451.0

Our family issues have settled a bit now, so I can once again concentrate on genealogy.   :)

Thank you Jan for continuing to follow this thread.  I hope to have a couple of names to look up within a day or two.  Thank you again.   :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Barnbarroch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 24 August 14 18:32 BST (UK) »
Hello All,
I research all Vance, Vans, Vaus (and variants of the name) families - see http://genealogy.jvans.co.uk/intro.html where I have data on 23,500+ individuals. Now I've started on these Sussex Vaus references - does anyone have a fairly complete version they would give me to save me duplicating all your research (if I even can, you've all obviously got some depth to yours!)? I'd be most grateful.
Regards,
Jamie.

Offline Barnbarroch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 24 August 14 18:52 BST (UK) »
By the way, I see there are a number of references to the name Varns (and similar) in Sussex. In Scotland, the reason that Vaus turned into Vans is that, with a long Scottish 'a' the two sound very similar. To this day in Wigtownshire where my Vans family comes from, the locals pronounce Vans as 'Varnce'.
Regards,
Jamie.

Offline inky69

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 04 April 15 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

Long time since we last spoke.... I'm still researching the family tree and have diversified to try and find the William Vous/Vaus that is causing us consternation. I had found William Vaus of Nuthurst in 1718 (can't subsequently find at the moment) and was trying to verify it.

I think there is some link to the London Watermen Vaus', as Victor Sydney b 1877 is listed as Walthamstow, the rest are Sevenoaks.

Hope you are well,

Ian

On a break at work - typing quickly   ;)

"Double Headstone
William Vaus who died 1796 aged 77 years.
Betty his wife who died March 1797 aged 69 years"
   - William would have been born c1719
   - Betty would have been born c1728

"Christening
William Naice or Vais.  27 Aug 1718, Nuthurst.  Father John Naice or Vais.  Mother Elizabeth"
   -  This could be "my" William, then.

Several years ago, someone was helping me with Newman/Francis information.  It includes the possible parents of Betty:
Bettie married John Francis on 23 May 1725 in Shipley
Betty and John had three known children (baptism dates):  Sarah 1727/28, John 1730/31, William buried 1737.
We don't know if Bettie/Betty was a fourth child, or possibly was actually Sarah.  Or, perhaps this isn't the correct family!

Jan, I have a will for William Vaus (grandson of William Vaus 1718-1796); I didn't see it in my Vaus binder.   ???   This Will was born in 1797 and died in 1846.  He was a corn dealer of Walworth Road.  I have not found a will for William Vaus (1761-1839).

Question:  William Vaus' will (1796) refers to property in Shipley, etc.  Since the Vaus' were occupying land (referenced in this thread), does it mean that the "property" in the will was not on Vaus property, but rather on "rented" property?  (I hope that makes sense!!!)

Thank you all so much...back to work.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 04 April 15 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian:

Welcome to RootsChat!  It has been a long time, but I periodically think of you.

I remember that we both had similar tales about when our ancestors arrived in England, even though our ancestors probably hadn't talked for at least 100 years (and therefore most likely didn't share stories).  If we are correct that William was christened in 1718 in Nuthurst, then it is even more convincing that our family tales are wrong.

I believe I have several Vaus threads on RootsChat regarding the Vaus' (always trying to learn more about them), but at one point I was trying to find out more about a John Vaus:
Susannah Vaus (greatgranddaughter of William Vaus who was born c1718) and her husband, James Mumford, settled in Ontario, Canada in 1857.  Living with them in 1861 was Emily Vaus, age 31, who was Susannah's sister.  James was a Butcher.

Two pages after their census record is a John Vaus, Servant, born England, age 41.  I don't know who he was, but he was living with a Barter Swaffield, Butcher.  I don't believe Susannah had any brothers named John.  It seems too coincidental not to have a connection.  I've not been able to find John Vaus elsewhere.  Note:  There is a thread about this man, but I've not found him in Canada, yet, other than the 1861 census:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714896.0

I've not researched the London Vaus'.  That might be an angle to try next.   :)

It is good to hear from you again.  I hope you are well, as well.

Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline inky69

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 09 April 15 19:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

I'd seen the post for the John Vaus and I have a few in my tree. They seem to come from London, mostly. Will have a look when I get a chance.

Ian

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 29 April 15 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Inky

My VAUS ancestors came from London. I've not found a link to Lisa's lot yet.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk