Author Topic: H.L.I. 1914-1918 John Wallace - the blue butterfly - gassed in WWI and survived  (Read 4902 times)

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: H.L.I. 1914-1918 John Wallace - the blue butterfly - gassed in WWI and survived
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 March 14 22:08 GMT (UK) »
It is odd he is wearing something purely decorative on his uniform though. Perhaps it was just a local thing - maybe a prize for some activity in the hospital? Or maybe just a gift from a sweetheart he put on just for the photo and then took off again?

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: H.L.I. 1914-1918 John Wallace - the blue butterfly - gassed in WWI and survived
« Reply #10 on: Friday 07 March 14 09:41 GMT (UK) »
I agree Milly , I did wonder if it was something that maybe the men in the hospital who survived being gassed started a club with the butterfly as an emblem , similar to what the pilots did with the guinea pig club those that were the first to have plastic surgery pioneered by dr  Harold gillies .!!
regards
trevor

ps if it was a national thing you,d imagine some sort of recognition could be found on the net
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 07 March 14 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Something local like that does seem the most likely explanation. You would think there would be some reference to it somewhere though..although now I guess there is (on Rootschat!)

Milly

McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline elzabels

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 May 14 22:43 BST (UK) »
Being a Stockport girl I would love to see the hospital photo too.  As Trevor says there were a few hospitals in Stockport from proper hospitals to houses and even local schools.
Milly

Some background info about the buildings used as military hosps in Stockport

http://gm1914.wordpress.com/2014/03/13/stockport-schools-and-military-hospitals/
http://gm1914.wordpress.com/category/world-war-one/page/2/

Front view of the infimary now converted to offices. The hospital is now at Stepping Hill!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/10413717@N08/2755013874/

Offline lorrainec

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Our sun worshipper!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 16 April 17 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone!
I have just learned that the hospital that JOhn was at is the Stepping Hill Military hospital.
Still wondering if any of the medical records were kept? I am still attempting to pinpoint a date of birth for him!

I like the idea that the butterfly is local - perhaps local only to Stepping Hill?

I am just back from France - I was there to be a part of the 100 annivesary celebrations at Vimy.
Was wonderful.

Cheers
Lorraine
Canada
Clewes - Canada
Humphreys - Surrey, Grenada, Canada
Clark - Scotland

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 16 April 17 15:21 BST (UK) »
My Grandad was gassed during the war too, however he didn't have a blue butterfly.

Offline Scribble1952

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 16 April 17 15:40 BST (UK) »
Blue Butteryflys are used in some hospitals today as a
sign of respect,or for a event.
Do you know of any friends John had ,or have any pictures of them as they could have known the reason at that time
for the Blue Butterfly.
 ;)

Offline lorrainec

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Our sun worshipper!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 16 April 17 18:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Scribble.  That's a good idea but unfortunately, I don't have anything like that.

Clewes - Canada
Humphreys - Surrey, Grenada, Canada
Clark - Scotland