Author Topic: Lunatic on 1911 census  (Read 21720 times)

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lunatic on 1911 census
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello Heilanlassie,
     On 1851 Census, Mary Ann Macrae is listed as Head & Seaman's Wife. Not a widow so presumably hubby is away at sea. Could her husband be a Phillip Macrae, born Scotland? Their son Phillip is 11yrs old. Son Alexander born approx. 1yr after Census. Mary Ann either dies or can't cope with 'lunatic' son so he goes to live with Phillip Snr's family in Scotland?
     Could be Lexie & Phillip Snr are siblings, both children of elderly Mary Macrae?
     Lots of theories & checking to do. Good luck with you search.
               Regards,     Dod.

I still have a Mary Macrae on the 1871 census, aged 60, an unmarried pauper, living in Market Street, Ullapool.
The head of the house is her daughter, Lexy Mackenzie, aged 40, an unmarried domestic servant.
Alexander Macrae is also living with them, aged 16 - born in Plymouth - nephew of the head of house (Lexy Mackenzie)

I can't find a birth record for a Philip Macrae, senior or junior, in Scotland.
Researching the names Mckenzie / Mackenzie from Ross and Cromarty especially Scoraig and Rherivach.

The names Fraser, MacGillivary and Grant from Daviot & Dunlichity.

The name of Fraser from Lanarkshire.

The name of Bell from Northumberland.

The name Chilla / Chylla / Chyla from Poland.

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 01:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Heilanlassie,
     Found these on Family Search: Marriage 1847 Devon. Philip Mccree. Spouse: Mary Ann Howell.
Birth: Philip George Alexander Mccree. Registered Apr-May-Jun 1850. East Stonehouse, Devon.
     Tracked down 1851 Census, East Stonehouse on An***try. Surname transcribed as Moher. (McCree quite difficult to read) Son, Philip G.A. McCree is 11m (months) not 11yrs, so name & age fit with the above birth.
     Could this be your Alexander?
               Regards,     Dod.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi again heilanlassie,

There is also a Philip Mcree - United Kingdom Merchant Navy Seaman Records 1835- 1941 on Family Search.
This Philip was born in Ross and Cromarty in 1807
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KCQG-ZGP

Might be worth trying to view this record. I'm not sure where :-\ .Maybe one of the well known family history sites?

Looby :)

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello Heilanlassie,
     Found these on Family Search: Marriage 1847 Devon. Philip Mccree. Spouse: Mary Ann Howell.
Birth: Philip George Alexander Mccree. Registered Apr-May-Jun 1850. East Stonehouse, Devon.
     Tracked down 1851 Census, East Stonehouse on An***try. Surname transcribed as Moher. (McCree quite difficult to read) Son, Philip G.A. McCree is 11m (months) not 11yrs, so name & age fit with the above birth.
     Could this be your Alexander?
               Regards,     Dod.

This information is absolutely amazing - however, it still doesn't help me to link Alexander into my family - as always, answers just throws up more questions  ???  ???  ???

I have now found an 1861 census showing that the family are living in 41 Church Street, Stepney, but this census also shows that Philip McCree (snr) was born in Scotland.

Could it be that Philip McCree (snr) was a brother to my Mary McRae who is living in Market Street, Ullapool, in 1861, with her daughter, Lexy Mackenzie?

In 1871, Alexander joins Mary McRae and Lexy in Market Street, Ullapool.

Just a point of interest - I would imagine that the family would have been more comfortable calling Philip by one of his middle names, Alexander  ::)

Researching the names Mckenzie / Mackenzie from Ross and Cromarty especially Scoraig and Rherivach.

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi again heilanlassie,

There is also a Philip Mcree - United Kingdom Merchant Navy Seaman Records 1835- 1941 on Family Search.
This Philip was born in Ross and Cromarty in 1807
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KCQG-ZGP

Might be worth trying to view this record. I'm not sure where :-\ .Maybe one of the well known family history sites?

Looby :)

Ah - so - Philip was born in Ross & Cromarty, that's the path I now have to follow.

Don't know where to find Merchant Navy records though. Can't see them on either a*****ry, or on F*** m* P***

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello Heilalassie,
     Finding 1861 Census & Looby's Merchant Navy info has brought you several steps forward. A definite link between Ross-shire & Plymouth through Philip Snr. His place & approx. year of birth. Also alive 1861 so, if you can find his death, it should be a proper DC not just a Parish Entry with very little info. (Unless English Certificates are different)
     When I suggested the link between Mary McCrae & Philip Snr, I was expecting him to be much younger so siblings sounds much better! (Birlin' in her grave comes to mind, poor woman) Also, given Mary Ann's age, not likely to have any more children after birth of Philip George Alexander so I think Philip Jnr. 1851 & 1861 may be Alexander 1871 onwards. Could be within the family he was known by middle name Alexander to distinguish him from his father.
     Just have to find how all these people are related to each other (says I).
     Good Luck with the rest of your search.
               Regards,     Dod.
PS. I have always said with my tree that every question answered leads to two more questions!

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello Heilalassie,
 if you can find his death, it should be a proper DC not just a Parish Entry with very little info. (Unless English Certificates are different)

Yes! They are different!
https://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_176222.pdf
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello KGarrad,
     Thankyou for that link re: English Death Certificates. Completely different from Scottish DCs which give parents names including maiden name of mother if known.
               Regards,     Dod.

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Well, well, cousin 'heilanlassie'  :)

You've done well with results for wee Alex. I told you this was a great site for help and only NINE minutes until you got your first reply!

I've joined in to this to keep up to date with the progress.

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk