Author Topic: James & Mary (Petridge) Farrell, Co. Longford  (Read 7930 times)

Offline rickpat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
James & Mary (Petridge) Farrell, Co. Longford
« on: Sunday 23 February 14 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Rose Farrell, my gg grandmother, dau. of James & Mary, was born in Ireland, abt. 1832. She immigrated to US & married Frank Busch April, 1853 in St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church in Lowell, Massachusetts at the age of 22.

According to online records, we believe Rose was bapt. April, 1832 in Ardagh and Moydow Parish, Co. Longford. Rose's maternal grandparents may be Peter Petridge & Anne Burke. Her maternal great grandparents may be William Petridge & Anne Beherton. Possible siblings are Catherine, b. 1830; Edward, b. 1834; Peter b. 1836; and Francis b. 1839.

The last record we can find for Rose (Farrell) Busch is the 1870 US census when she is living with her husband and children in New Hampshire. We can not find a record of her death in the US. Did Rose return to Ireland after the 1870 census and die there?

Thanks,
Richard Morrison

MORRISON in Derryhale & Portadown, Co. Armagh
JACKSON in Lisavague, Co. Armagh
FARRELL in Co. Longford

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James & Mary (Petridge) Farrell, Co. Longford
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 February 14 22:29 GMT (UK) »
This looks like it might be the family in 1870-
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MH5G-7QS

What happened to husband and children after 1870?

Added- Frank died 1898 but 1880 census lists him as widower.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline rickpat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 February 14 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that is the family in 1870 and indeed Frank is listed as a widow on the 1880 US Census.  Rose (Farrell) Busch died between 1870 and 1880 and we have not been able to locate any record of her death in the US.  She is not buried with Frank and 3 of their children in New Hampshire; the ground has actually been probed to determine if there is an unmarked grave in the family plot. Two of the children died before 1870 and we have also been unable to locate any of Rose & Frank's descendants in the US.
Thus, we are wondering if Rose traveled to Ireland in the 1870's and died there before 1880.
FARRELL in Co. Longford

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 February 14 23:55 GMT (UK) »
The online Irish civil registration index covers death in Ireland from 1864 until 1958 (only up to 1921 for Northern Ireland counties)- https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1408347
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 March 14 17:34 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=679717.0

I'm just attaching these two links together to avoid duplication.

I have noticed in your messages that there is a lot of usage of the word MAY and WE BELIEVE - can you just clarify where you got the names of Rose's parent's ?

Tara

Offline rickpat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 March 14 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tara,

Thanks for your response.

We have the first names of Rose's parents from the record of her marriage to Frank Busch, April, 1853 in St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church in Lowell, Massachusetts at the age of 22 which, of course, also gives us a date of birth for Rose.  From searching passenger and census lists, we can not find a Rose traveling with parents named James & Mary to the U.S. prior to 1853. We can find several young women, traveling alone, in the correct time frame, by the name of Rose Farrell -- with various spellings.

Searching RootsIreland, we could find only one record of a Roman Catholic baptism for a Rose, born to a James & Mary Farrell in1831/1832. This led us to Mary's maiden name. And sure, a record of a baptism may have been lost or destroyed. So, at this point, we can not be certain that we have the correct Rose, James & Mary. Thus, I have chosen to use the words 'may' and 'believe'.

We are taking a long shot, but not trying was not an alternative.

Thanks again for your interest.

Richard 

FARRELL in Co. Longford

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 March 14 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard

Gosh, I'm glad I questioned where you had gotten the names from as while it's great that you are trying, finding a person on ifhf and hoping they are the correct one is a dangerous game.

To explain, just in case you aren't aware, our civil registration only began in 1864. To get records prior to that you need an exact parish that your ancestor came from to see if any records still exist for that parish. Then you need both parents full names, including maiden names to see if they are listed in the parish.

There are a lot of parishes in Ireland whom don't have pre 1864 records available, and while IFHF is great, they don't have all the records that do exist.

HUM, have you REALLY exhausted finding the death record for Rose, or tried looking for obits etc. I think until you have more information from her time in America you need to wait on looking for her in Ireland.

BTW Was there an occupation for her father on her marriage cert ?

Did you look to see if there were any possible family members living near her in the US, although Farrell is a very common Irish name ?!

Tara

Offline rickpat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 March 14 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tara,

No, there is no occupation given for Rose's father on her marriage cert. We have not located any other Farrell's living near Rose in the US that we can document are her relatives. I am aware of when civil registration began in Ireland and the need to know the parish. I have spent a great deal of time researching my father's side of the family in Co. Amargh. That was easy compared to trying to find Rose's origins. My cousin and I are both pretty vigorous researchers and strongly believe we have uncovered all the available information for Rose in the U.S. that exists -- except for a record of her death which is very perplexing.  We are aware that we may be headed down the wrong path.

I greatly appreciate your feedback and questions.

Thanks,
Richard
FARRELL in Co. Longford

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 March 14 21:35 GMT (UK) »
I'm confused - you say Frank Busch and Rose Farrell - yet the marriage says his name was Joseph ?!

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NW58-LMR

Tara